Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Torque values Auxiliary and Camshaft drive belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JimmeyD3

Norway 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Torque values Auxiliary and Camshaft drive belt

I did my camshaft belt and aux belt this weekend, including all the idlers and the waterpump. And i struggled to find the torque values for some of the bolts. So i thought i would list them here in case someone else needs them. These values are all taken from the LR manual found on the disco3 wiki site. They are hard to find because not all of them are listed under Aux belt or camshaft belt. Some are listed under alternator change and oil pump and cooling pump etc. So here goes:

Camshaft drive belt torque values:
Idlers (2 idlers in total, 1 bolt in each idler, 13 mm head): 45 Nm
Manual timing belt tensioner: 24 Nm (while adjusting the tension)
Chamshaft pulley damper retaining bolts (3 on each, 6 in total): 23 Nm (to be done after the tension has been set)
Timing belt cover (16 bolts, 8mm head): 10 Nm

Water pump torque values:
Bolts for water pump to engine block (3 bolts in total, 8mm head): 10 Nm
Pulley for water pump (3 bolts in total, inverted Torx bolt head size E12): 23 or 25 Nm depending on where in the manual you read (done either with aux belt on to keep pulley from rotating or by inserting locking pin in upper right corner)

Auxiliary drive belt torque values:
Crankshaft damper / pulley (6 bolts in total, inverted Torx bolt head size E12): 23 Nm
Accessory drive belt idler (placed between fan and waterpump. Note mark on timing belt cover and idler for positioning of idler): 47 Nm
Accessory drive belt tensioner (placed between crankshaft and alternator): 45 Nm
Fan pulley bolts (3 in total, 10 mm head): 23 Nm (easiest done with aux belt installed)
Fan bolt (36 mm head, links rotation (standing in front of car looking at motor the fan bolt will rotate clockwise to undo, counterclockwise to tighten)): 65 Nm (I have seen many just hand tighten and give it a quick whack with a 36 mm spanner and said "it will tighten itself", and i've also done this myself and it seems to work fine, but the manual actually specifies 65 Nm from what i understand to be "cooling fan assembly").

Hope this well help someone else, if not at least it will be a reminder if i need to do this in 7 years..

Post #226793019th Dec 2021 3:19 am
Falcon500

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thank you very much JimmeyD3 for the info. I too am struggling to find definitive torque values for this job.

There is one torque value in particular I am unsure of; the timing belt idler pulleys: as per the workshop manual you have listed 45Nm. The only thing that makes me second guess it is that in Disco_Mikeys timing belt guide he mentions that everything behind the timing cover is 25Nm.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and should just accept the Workshop manual but I know that some torques were amended (wheel hub nut for instance), plus I probably trust Disco_Mikey more than the LR manual Laughing

Anyway, if anyone is able to clarify it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Post #228298811th Mar 2022 11:08 am
loanrangie

Falcon i read the same but then i saw a sheet that listed the torque values and since the idlers bolt into the block 45nm sounded logical to me and the ones into alloy are 25nm.

Post #228358715th Mar 2022 10:50 am
Falcon500

Thanks Loanrangie - that is the logic I ended up following after it was pointed out to me by a rather helpful online contributor Very Happy .

Thanks again for your help Thumbs Up

Post #228371015th Mar 2022 11:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >