DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

EGR valves blanked.....D3 permagrin back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DJH68

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EGR valves blanked.....D3 permagrin back

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Had my EGR valves blanked yesterday, after about a week and half of driving what felt like a D3 with a mini 850 engine trying to pull it. Now having driven around for 20 miles my D3 permagrin is back, the car feels better than it ever did, very perky in low revs, and a joy to drive, and the best bit is that at the moment my computer is saying 37.4 mpg...I was previously getting 32 at best, cant wait to drive around and use the half tank of fuel thats in there to see what the mpg does end up at.... will let you all know as I think I may be renaming this thread "IS THIS A RECORD".

The blanking cost me £80, from local independent, which may be a lot, but to me (who doesnt even know how to get the engine covers off) it is money well spent, and if I do end up getting even a 10% improvement in mpg then my rough calcs reckon it will have paid for itself after about 5000 miles Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #6805477th Aug 2010 8:22 am
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi glad you have had you egr blanked(was it painfull or did they knock you out first?)seriously though what are egr valves??and where are they,as it seems a good idea especially as you get a lot more mpg without them.
cheers
sandy
ps i used to be indecisive but now im not so sure!

Post #6806597th Aug 2010 4:49 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

There are one either side of the engine, to do with emmisions but going by your details you cant blank them in yours as you will get warning lights flashing up on the dash if I remember correctly as your age of D3 has a later EU rating.

Welcome BTW Thumbs Up

Post #6806607th Aug 2010 4:52 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

rnlisg you can blank them off but would have to drive with engine mgmt light on all the time EURRO4 engine, some are working on the solution for it but still no details ....

Post #6806797th Aug 2010 6:44 pm
jeflew

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Same EGR fault and result

A couple of weeks ago my D3 felt like was towing the "world". Heavy, lumpy and lots of smoke. Car was due a service so took it into the one that does services without appointment. You know the one....You sort of drive In and then drive Out. Wink

Mechanic said "sorry no turbo boost and pointless to get serviced until sorted." He went onto explain that this is a common fault. EGR's fail and they need replacing. Changing both is about £500 to £700. Blah Blah Blah.

This was the point when I went to check my bank balance. Confused

I then remembered several threads on here about EGR's and blanking. Bought my blanking kit which was under £50. Fitted next day and wow!....what a transformation. More responsive, sounds good and much improved MPG. Estimated an increase of 10% and probably could do better if driven with lighter right foot. Very Happy

Don't wait for your EGR's to fail. Do the conversion now! You will not regret it!

Post #69517621st Sep 2010 8:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >