Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

TDV6 Engine Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Juliat

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
TDV6 Engine Failure

Engine failure last week whilst on holiday in Myrtleford, Viictoria.
Sudden onset loud engine noise, diagnosis from my mechanically inclined partner Ted, was engine failure due to failed upper or possibly lower bearings. He had heard those sort of noises before in times gone by.
Land rover assist were very helpful. Vehicle trailered to Albury and me to Herz.
Teds diagnosis confirmed after 2 days of other possibilities. Shrapnel in the oil when they drained it.
Vehicle will be spending its second birthday on a hoist in Albury.
Service manager very helpful, but said dont hold your breath, as the only other engine replacement that he had been involved with took nearly 3 months.
Woe is me!
Now to the question.
The service manager was not sure if exactly the same engine is still available, as the 2.7 in the D4 has apparently got a different management system which occupies the 2nd battery space.
Anyone know the answer?
Also does anyone know if engines are available in oz.
Going to the uk on Friday might have to pack one in my case!

I am posing the questions as the service manager apparently has to communicate with LRA by email.
Don't know what happened to using the telephone.

Sorry to bore everyone,
Julia

PS there is no suggestion that we will have to pay for any of this.

Post #6995994th Oct 2010 8:29 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Julia - sorry to hear of your problem.

You might want to contact Nick (aka TLO...aka The Large One) - parts manager at Yeovil LR. not so much for actually sourcing a replacement engine (though I'm sure he could...) but to get clear answers on your question re: availability etc.

Good luck.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #6996054th Oct 2010 8:53 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Big Cry

Don't worry about replacement engines - although there is a different/newer version out, of course there will be spares for the original 2.7 TDV6 for a long time to come....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6996084th Oct 2010 9:04 am
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Juliat

Let me tell you a story... 5 weeks ago my 2007 D3 TDV6 melted number 1 cylinder....it's only done 40,000km. The dealer was fantastic while LR did everything in their power to get out of a warranty claim. There was no fault with the electronics so they blamed the fuel...fuel samples were sent from Tassie to Sydney for testing. One part of the test came back as a fail due to a visible trace of water so LR said fail so no warranty. The dealer had given me a copy of the report and we both agreed it said the fuel was really O.K so I rang the testing lab who laughed and said basicly all diesel had some water and their tests were based on the perfect diesel sample. The lab boss then put a note on the bottom of the test explaining to LR it was perfectly normal fuel and fit for use in a modern diesel engine Smile I asked for interest how much water was in it and the reply was 0.02%! with .05% indicating a fuel problem. He said normal fuel was 0.01%.

LR got the new report and was finally forced to admit it was warranty....it only took 3 weeks to get this far.
The dealer then ordered a brand new long motor, high pressure fuel pump and injector set. All were in stock and down here in a week. So tomorrow should be the big day I get it back....5 weeks to the day since it blew up.

And believe it or not we still don't know the ultimate cause because LR won't let the dealer pull down the fuel pump or test the injector. The feeling is it was an injector and possible fuel pump failure that flooded one cylinder with diesel and overheated it in an instant!

So good luck with your claim...make sure the dealer keeps you informed as mine did and don't be afraid to question decisions you don't feel are right.

Cheers....Rob
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #6996424th Oct 2010 11:52 am
Juliat

Thanks for the rapid replies, and for the encouragement Rob.
We already knew that the fuel was pure as I asked them to take the fuel filter apart and they tested it and found that it was vey pure.
Hope you didn't have the only motor left in Oz!
The service manager was adamant it was a new motor needed and that the cause may never be known.
Apparently they take them back to the factory and dissassemble them, but then dont tell anyone the results.
Will let you know when I get an update.
Julia

Post #6996784th Oct 2010 1:43 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would imagine that it will go back to the factory, be stripped, rebuilt and end up in another D3 as an exchange unit.

cheers and good luck
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #6996854th Oct 2010 1:59 pm
anglefire

England 

When I worked for a controls company, often the failed parts were rebuilt to see what went wrong with them and to improve if they could. Always ended up in the skip!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #6997674th Oct 2010 5:40 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: TDV6 Engine Failure

Juliat wrote:
The service manager was not sure if exactly the same engine is still available, as the 2.7 in the D4 has apparently got a different management system which occupies the 2nd battery space.
Anyone know the answer?
Also does anyone know if engines are available in oz.

Do not think they know what they are talking about. Rolling Eyes Which dealer?
Engine is the same as the D3. LR just moved the module to the spare battery bay as it was getting damaged by jet washing wher it was (behind the main battery box) Also I think it is the transmission module not the engine ecu.

Tassierob wrote:
And believe it or not we still don't know the ultimate cause because LR won't let the dealer pull down the fuel pump or test the injector. The feeling is it was an injector and possible fuel pump failure that flooded one cylinder with diesel and overheated it in an instant!
Cheers....Rob

Were you part of the recall for the HP fuel pump?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...recall.pdf
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6998484th Oct 2010 9:16 pm
Juliat

No we were not on the fuel pump list, outside the range.
Not being mechanically minded, it was my assumpton that it was engine management module, it should have occurred to me that there were other modules.
The Albury dealer has only had to replace one tdv6 engine in 5 years. Trivett at alexandria in sydney have not had to replace one since the current service manager has been there, altho they did have a tdv8 engine that needed replacing.
But good to know its the same engine going in.
I have discussed the case of Rob in Tassie, who has had a very difficult time with land rover, with the service manager in Albury, who said that he did not think, that mine would be so much of a problem because it is newer.
Really should not make any difference if the vehicle is in warranty, but will cross my fingers anyway.
Thanks for all the help.
Will update as soon as I know what is happening.
Julia

Post #6999195th Oct 2010 1:30 am
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

No we were not on the fuel pump recall list.
I doubt that they will be using anything of the motor when it goes back...there is bits of molten metal all though it...several other cylinders have compression loss and the bore of number 2 is also badly scored Sad
Cheers Rob
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #6999205th Oct 2010 1:43 am
caverD3

Won't be the first time LR have got it wrong with VIN ranges for recalls. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6999225th Oct 2010 2:23 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am sorry to hear of your engine failure.

My experience is that LRA will do anything they can to get out of warranty. I complained regularly for the last 3 months of my warranty that my auto was not changing properly.... "no it's fine". Until the car came out of warranty and then it needed a rebuild for around $10K.

Luckily I had purchased extended warranty that covered it.

At the 2 year mark, the alloy wheels started to corrode.. took a picture of the problem.. Land Rover simply knocked it back. No explanation.. just not interested.Had a similar problem with Mitsubishi in 94.. they just replaced the wheels.

Considering how you pay for a new diesel D4 now $90K+.. their approach to customer service really sucks.

My Land Rover "journey" of the past 4 years comes to an end next Friday when I pick up my new Holden diesel.

Love the Land Rover, really do but just cannot trust its reliability anymore.

Good luck with the engine rebuild.

Cheers

Mark Taylor
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #70188810th Oct 2010 12:52 pm
caverD3

MarkTaylor wrote:

My experience is that LRA will do anything they can to get out of warranty. I complained regularly for the last 3 months of my warranty that my auto was not changing properly.... "no it's fine". Until the car came out of warranty and then it needed a rebuild for around $10K.

Luckily I had purchased extended warranty that covered it.

If you did not have extended warranty LR would probably have come to the party. They have a policy of no goodwill if you have an extended warranty.
My auto box is about to be exchanged and it is only $5000 for a rebuilt box, who did your work?

MarkTaylor wrote:

At the 2 year mark, the alloy wheels started to corrode.. took a picture of the problem.. Land Rover simply knocked it back. No explanation.. just not interested.Had a similar problem with Mitsubishi in 94.. they just replaced the wheels.

Considering how you pay for a new diesel D4 now $90K+.. their approach to customer service really sucks.

If you don't clean the wheels of brake dust it bakes on and looks like it is corroded. You were lucky with the misu, most manufacturers wouldn't swap wheels unless they were unsafe.
I have found LR to be quite good with warranty but it depends on your relationship with your stealer more than anything else.

MarkTaylor wrote:

Good luck with the engine rebuild.

Good luck with your holden diesel. Laughing
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #70189510th Oct 2010 1:22 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Quote:
Love the Land Rover, really do but just cannot trust its reliability anymore.

I know how you feel
 Pete  
Post #70208211th Oct 2010 12:36 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The mag wheel corrosion problem.

The car goes through a hand car wash every second weekend along with my wife's Z4 BMW. The BMW's mags have no sign of corrosion even though the car is nearly 2 years older. My next door neighbour is an engineer with Comalco (now Rio) and had a look and tells me the problem is caused by inferior painting of the alloy wheels at the factory.

The auto transmission... the dealer removed it and it was done by a local here. Full rebuild etc. Bill came in at around $10 k including remove and refit. (And remember I was complaining about it for 3 months prior to the warranty expiring.)

The claim for the wheels was put in while the car was still under warranty from LRA. They just were not interested.

I am sure others have read the list on other posts of the things that have failed on mine. It really is scandalous that so many things could fail. I am sure the Lemon Laws of the US would have seen me in a new car had i resided there. I was in New York 3 weeks ago and saw a Land Rover 3 with a sticker on the back window. it said: "Ninety percent of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road; the other ten percent made it home"

I just wish the cars were made in Korea or Japan. Get yourself a copy of a book called "The Rise and Fall of the British Car Industry". It's a good read.

This car has literally broken my heart. I love it to death.. I just don't trust it any more. My total motoring expenses in it over 46 months and 78,000 km total approx $88,000. Time to get something a little cheaper.

And hopefully a lot more reliable!

Cheers

Mark Taylor
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice. 

Last edited by MarkTaylor on 11th Oct 2010 3:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #70209711th Oct 2010 3:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >