Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

There is no problem with my Traxide system!......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Just to give a contrast, I have Traxide and a YT and experienced the same desert heat as Slimer and Gareth ...however both batteries performed very well indeed. It must be an issue of battery condition in both cases IMO Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #71536912th Nov 2010 1:39 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There maybe a relay in the car sticking ..causing battery drain .

Not much use at the moment ...but a cheap easy mod i use .

The original connector from main battery to second battery

Get yourself a small bit of battery lead and another anderson connector ( i used red just so i know which is which ) . Connect it up and leave the anderson tucked behind the battery .

If you then find you have a flat main cranking battery , just disconnect the traxide plug and connect the new one . You have an ready made jump lead to power your main cranking battery off the aux one .

I have had to use this a few times while messing with the car and leaving stuff on

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten 

Last edited by wiggs on 12th Nov 2010 2:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #71537512th Nov 2010 1:54 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Neat idea Wiggs Thumbs Up Saves having to carry a jump lead around Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #71537812th Nov 2010 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Very Happy ..and getting dirty in the process ....well not a problem for me ..but you suit types Laughing
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #71538012th Nov 2010 2:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Embarassed Embarassed Ner Ner
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #71538112th Nov 2010 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi wiggs and thats a nifty idea. Thumbs Up
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #71538912th Nov 2010 2:32 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Maybe it's an extra option you can offer Tim Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #71539212th Nov 2010 2:43 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Got home now, and measured the batteries. The LED on the Traxide unit is flashing as it should Thumbs Up

The main battery is reading 10.1 v, the aux yellow top is reading 12.7, so that exonerates the Traxide completely.

I am about to call LRA to come and start it, and check it over. I could jump it myself from the YT, but I think its best to log the problem with LRA, it is under warranty after all.

Post #71541912th Nov 2010 3:42 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth - does the LR battery have a little green/yellow/red indicator window anywhere on the top?

If it had and it's red, then you should be able to tell this to LRA and they'll probably bring a new battery with them to change it...

Just a thought Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #71542412th Nov 2010 3:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The main battery does not have a condition indicator. LRA on their way Thumbs Up

Post #71544212th Nov 2010 4:19 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

LRA engineer has been. After jump starting the car, he did all the tests and it all checked out ok. He says that the first time this haPpened, I should have been asked to take the car in to the dealership for a full battery recharge. He says that the D3 alternator will only surface charge the main battery, and will not fully replenish a flattened battery. ISTR this has been discussed on the forum in the past, so is probably why it has been slow to crank since the first incidence.

So it is going into Guy Salmon in Stockport on Monday for a full recharge and check over.

Last edited by Gareth on 13th Nov 2010 7:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #71550112th Nov 2010 6:56 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Gareth and thanks for the thumbs up on you Traxide set up.

Next, I’m not sure what the service guy was trying to say. The only reason your battery, in a normal good condition, would not be fully charged is when the vehicle is not driven long enough to give the alternator time to fully charge all the batteries.

There is a lot of confusion about the state of charge ( SoC ) that can be achieved when charging a Calcium/Calcium ( Ca/Ca ) battery, like the cranking battery used in LRs.

A Ca/Ca battery can not be fully charged by an alternator, and thats by any alternator not just LRs.

The misunderstanding comes about by the belief that a Ca/Ca battery will only be partially charged to say about 70 or 80% SoC and this will damage the battery.

If these batteries were only charging to around 70% SoC then eventually they would have a short life. The reality is that even the most basic alternator operation will charge Ca/Ca batteries up to around 95 to 97% and this info comes from one of Exide’s subsidiary companies, so it’s not hearsay or from one of the many self proclaimed experts.

While Ca/Ca battery technology is relatively new, these batteries have now been around long enough and in large enough numbers to show that even though they will NEVER be fully charge in normal vehicle use, they still have a better than average life span and the only way they can be “fully charged” is by a battery charger that has a specific Ca/Ca charging mode.

Gareth as you are getting the battery “fully charged” by the dealer, just unplug the isolator before you drop the D3 off. This will allow the dealers charger, if it has a Ca/Ca mode, to give full benefit to the cranking battery.

This suggestion is just to save any theoretical problems the dealer “might’ argue about having a dual battery set up in your D3. This is probably not a problem over there but is is a problem here, particularly when most dealer's “auto electrician” is a mechanic Twisted Evil

Note for anyone charging their batteries at home, there is no need to separate the batteries, just hook the charger up to the cranking battery and all the batteries will be full charged.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #71555312th Nov 2010 9:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I never knew how complex it all has become! I have already disconnected the aux battery. My dealer knows all about the setup the car has, and I know they will give the car a thorough check over next week without trying to pass the blame to the auxilliary system.

Post #71561813th Nov 2010 1:36 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Almost certain that the cranking battery has collapsed completely. With the Traxide disconnected all night, the car was dead this morning. I jump started from the aux, and have just done a 30 mile trip. Got home and switched off. 15 minutes later, tried to start and its dead.

When jump started, and riunning there is 14 volts at the terminals. When stopped it quickly drops to 10volts.

I'm not going to drive it anymore in case it damages anything else. It can go into GS on Monday for them to sort out.

Post #71569713th Nov 2010 3:49 pm
A1GSS

England 

Just reading this in some bemusement.,.. very interesting stuff.

I don't have dual batteries. I'd assumed I could use my standard charger to charge the Disco battery; is this suggesting I need a special charger in order to get it fully charged?

Thanks.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #71569813th Nov 2010 3:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >