Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rear Propshaft Bearing/Bush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
drbrad00

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Thanks Hugh Martin

I successfully replaced the center support bearing/bush on my prop shaft using the part from ebay, which is only $60.
I followed Hugh Martin's procedure as it is and it worked perfect.
If I add couple of more tips on top of below procedure.

(1) How to secure good sealing around seam which I had to level up to split the shaft
- I found I made small damage to O-ring unfortunately, when leveling up with some small braddle. But even if I made it good to separate without damaging, seaming back to original may not provide enough O-ring compression, which causing CV joint grease leaking. So I applied RTV sealant to outside gap between two covers. And it worked perfect preventing all grease leak.

(2) CV joint cage re assembly
- Due to messy oil and grease, and due to tight fitting of the case, it may not be easy to mark original location. So leave it out as it comes out.
- Instead, you can Google how to assemble CV joint cage, it is very simple. The structure is very simple. Only thing very important is to assemble to match outside wider ball bearing dam to mate with narrower ball bearing dam inside tube. Simple "Wider guide wall to Narrower guide wall". This is all you need. If CV joint doesn't flex to turn, then check the assembly. If it is not correct, then don't panic, but slightly tapping on case with plastic or wood hammer, then it may pot out easily.
- After CV cage re assembled, if there is not enough grease inside it, fill it with extra CV joint grease or synthetic grease.( I used synthetic grease to re fill it, and it works very fine so far for 6 months)

(3) Removal of old support bearing
- Without bearing puller, I don't think it is possible to remove it. I tried many different options to take it out, but couldn't work it out. In the end, I decided to grind it out using my electric grind drill, and after 4 hours struggling, I could cut it out to remove from shaft. This is one of the biggest part for whole process.

(4) Mid section of joint locked solid and wouldn't articulate
- This is simply due to wrong mating of CV joint outer housing with inner ball cage.
Just simply follow this rule will make CV joint works. "Wider guide wall on outer housing to mate with narrower guide wall on ball bearing cage inside".

Greatly appreciate Hugh Martin's posting. It helped a lot.
I fixed damaged center bearing of my Rr propeller shaft only with $60, but spent almost 12 hours to figure out all tricks. But if you have bearing puller, and if you pre research on CV joint assembly, and with black RTV sealant in hand, then I believe 3~4 hours should be good enough to get this task done.

Post #15572866th Nov 2015 10:37 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Well done drbrad00. Glad my mistakes were of help to you.

Post #15572926th Nov 2015 10:51 pm
drbrad00

Hugh Martin

You did amazing job making fantastic and easy to understand posting. Your posting was awesome.
Also after going through whole process, I recommend everyone to try your posting instead of spending $650 to buy whole assembly.

Just $60 to buy a part and 4 hours labor work with couple of beer.

Post #15573137th Nov 2015 12:59 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I wasn't so sure of the reliability of a bearing re-assembled by an amateur. I don't know what the rotational speed of the drive shaft is nor the normal forces experienced during high speed driving but the thought of one coming apart at 70 mph and the unrestrained ends thrashing about uncontrolled filled me with dread. That's why I chickened out trying to repair mine and bought a new assembly for peace of mind.

Post #15573397th Nov 2015 7:26 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There have been several posts where the support rubber has been successfully repaired with windscreen/sunroof adhesive Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #15573487th Nov 2015 8:40 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Put a new prop shaft on a few weeks ago

Easy job Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #15573897th Nov 2015 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

wiki
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #15574197th Nov 2015 11:27 am
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was quoted 100 pounds for a new prop bearing fitting.

Post #15574287th Nov 2015 11:39 am
geoff.

England 

sean don't waste your money , put a new prop on Thumbs Up

Post #15574377th Nov 2015 12:04 pm
Beno2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I went down the route of having the bearing/ bush replaced and it only lasted 11 months. If you are towing a trailer or caravan then the extra load Censored it up.
Mine went recently on the M25 and had to be recovered. Do not know what the life expectancy is if you do not tow but you take your chance........ Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE

Post #15574587th Nov 2015 1:04 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

geoff. wrote:
sean don't waste your money , put a new prop on Thumbs Up

Thanks Geoff but mine was fine. Did not need changing. Thumbs Up

Post #15574727th Nov 2015 1:29 pm
drbrad00

Thanks Goeff and Sean471.
I used to drive my LR3 90~95mph for commuting(I used to over speed here before traffic starts) for the last 3 months and so far, no problem.
Usual issue with damaged bearing bushing used to be propeller shaft whining noise, which comes off around 65~70mph. After changing the bushing, I still have that noise, but it is around 75~80mph, and with much lower noise level.
So far, it is fine. But I felt the similar thing that the part I bought from ebay looks with rubber with lower hardness than OEM one. I guess it will last shorter than OEM one, but for 10 years old LR3, if it can last for 3~5 years, It it pretty much of my expectation.

CV joints are not such complicated structured part, but high precision part.
As long as keep it clean without any debris and contamination getting in, it may be OK.
Another one good situation with this propeller shaft CV joint is the articulate angle is pretty smaller than drive shaft. So it may be a good shot to try.

DIY is not only the matter of money and reliability, but also personal preference.
Doing DIY for such components may or may not be a good choice, ending up as waste of money and time in the end.
But I liked it and enjoying the job doing by myself, in addition, I saved big money.
Actually what I paid for the bushing was $49, instead of $550 to buy whole Prop. shaft.

Post #15575397th Nov 2015 4:16 pm
drbrad00

HughMartin wrote:
I wasn't so sure of the reliability of a bearing re-assembled by an amateur. I don't know what the rotational speed of the drive shaft is nor the normal forces experienced during high speed driving but the thought of one coming apart at 70 mph and the unrestrained ends thrashing about uncontrolled filled me with dread. That's why I chickened out trying to repair mine and bought a new assembly for peace of mind.

You are right, prop. Shaft rotation speed is fairly high. We can calculate it by "Engine Speed / Gear ratio".
If we drive 6000RPM with 2:1 gear ration, then it will rotate with 3000RPM.
Considering gear ration of 0.7~0.8:1 at 5th, 6th gear, and my highest engine run usually around 3500RPM for all gears, so maximum Prop. shaft rotation speed will be around 4000RPM. 65~70 Rev/sec.

Post #15575797th Nov 2015 5:10 pm
ekkypoo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting watch here

but i went for a whole prop replacement. I was lucky enought to get a second hand one on ebay 3 years ago for £60. Replaced myself in 1 hour, still going strong!

Post #16074269th Feb 2016 5:53 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I find this quite odd, the vehicle has independent suspension such that the diff is fixed in the chassis and does not move? The engine/gearbox is also fixed but rubber mounted, therefore why on earth does it require a complex center bearing and CV joint at all??
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #16499983rd May 2016 10:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >