DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Help required - Door Looms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Help required - Door Looms

Hello,

Does anybody know how to disconnect the door loom connectors - I am in the final stages of my logic 7 upgrade - just need to fit my new L7 door looms.

Have spent all day outside (in the freezing cold trying to do it).
There must be an easy/simple way.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew Very Happy

Post #72188827th Nov 2010 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Andrew ...

Have a look here Thumbs Up http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic35133.html?highlight=

Post #72190327th Nov 2010 5:55 pm
ajsms999

Tawnyowl

Thats brilliant - looks really simple - I feel very stupid Embarassed

Never mind - I won't change the habit of a lifetime.

Thanks
Andrew

Post #72191127th Nov 2010 6:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Andrew
I have actually answered this before on this forum, with pictures too, but I cannot find the thread and am hosting the pictures on my own web site. I can get the exact URL for the pictures on Monday to help you further, but in the meantime, i will try to explain, although this likely means entering into another of my infamous long posts Whistle

Going from the Inside of the vehicles A panels which you will have to contort yourself and find some mini light to see what you are doing inside the A panels inner hole, you will see the back of the big door multi plug. On each side, ie to the front and rear of the vehicle, there is a flat ear on the sides of the big plug body that you can deflect slightly away from the connectors main body. The ear has a small inner peg that goes into the connector body and you must flex both at the same time. I found slipping a buisness card in between the peg and its hole while flexing it out was enough to keep the one out while i worked on the other.

Although the ears are not physically connected to each other, both have a quadrent rachet that acts upon the single connector, so in that respect they cannot be moved independantly in the required way and you really have to free the pegs on both at the same time. I used 2 business cards for this.
Having disengaged the Pegs, you can then with a finger on both. Rotate them. I forget which way but try to move them up or down and they will freely rotate one way or the other. Dont worry if the cards etc fall out once they are moving the Pegs will rest against the body of the connector and keep them flexed out. As stated they have a rachet mechanism that should eject the body of the connector inward toward the vehicles centre, ie towards you. you might need to help pull the connector body towards you too to help things along. The ears rotate about 90 degres and the inner pegs do eventually drop into parking position holes.

At this point the vehicle side connector should be free and you can pull it away and turn it so you can see the ears and the holes / rachet mech and so understand the physicalities of how they work.

However you are only partly there as it is the other Door loom half that is locked to the vehicles body.

Fortunately if you have a new door Loom to fit, you can pre inspect this side on your new loom to gain a pre understanding of how this part works, or at least how it is supposed to.

For completeness, and noting that a used Looms connector does not do quite what a new one does, i will however overview this bit too.

Go to the bit between the door and body metal, then pull back the rubber boot from the vehicle side.

On this side you will find a lock plate that surrounds the connector and is up against the A panels outer metal. This must be slid upwards IIRC. This will allow the four barbs holding the connector into the metal the space to move backwards. On a new connector, it is likely these locking barbs will retract on their own, however on a used one the memory effect of the plastic, or perhaps the sharp edges of the metal cut out hole means they do not.

This means you will have to go back inside and manually push all four barbs in simultainiously to release the connector from the metal.

Don't be tempted to get frustrated and just rip it out on the basis you will be replacing it anyway, as these barbs snap of very easily, can do so in refitting the new one, and unless it is properly mounted, its a real pig to refit the inner part. So you just might need to re use the barb carrying parts of the old ones.

I hope this helps

Ah i see Tawnyowl has found the thread i mentioned Bow down

Cheers chap

Post #72191427th Nov 2010 6:13 pm
ajsms999

Many thanks Colin & Tawnyowl Bow down

I am now re-energised and will try again tomorrow - just hope the snow keeps away!.

Thanks
Andrew

Post #72210128th Nov 2010 12:20 am
Tawny Owl

Andrew......

How did you get on with changing the door loom ?? Got to have a look at doing mine one day Thumbs Up

Post #7258454th Dec 2010 2:15 pm
ajsms999

Job done!

Hello Tawny,

Finished my logic 7 upgrade yesterday, managed to change both door looms, move and add a few pins in the dash loom connecor, and the additional wiring at the amp end - all thanks to the help and guidance given by Colin (BBS SPY) and others on this forum.

In respect of the door loom connectors - its not easy, there is so little room, but after much trying and head scratching I have found a technique that works.

Removal is fairly straight forward - just reach internally and unclip & rotare the locking cams on each side of the connector (together if you can). This will push apart the connector, releasing the dash side. Push back the rubber boot from the door side, enough that you can see the plastic connecor. Push upwards the top half of the outer face of this connector - this will release the 4 locking pins from the 'A'post.
The door loom can then be removed from the door (you will need to have the window 3/4 way down before you disconnect the door connector, so that you can undo the window motor/regulator fixings and push these inside the door - giving you just enough room to get your hand inside to disconnect the lock connection).
It sounds complicated but its really quite easy when you are looking at it.

Reassembly.

Fit your loom to the door (inside & out) then locate the 'A' post connector

Attach the door side to the 'A'post first - refit the rubber boot, align and push firmly inwards then lock the fixing in position by moving the outer face downwards (this will click and locate the four locking clips securely in the bodywork). Once this is done you will have a firm mounting to attatch inside the driver & passenger kick panels.

Next align the dash loom connector internally, and push firmly together - the locking cams will rotate approx 95% of the way from their 'open' position without you touching them - they just require a gentle push to lock into their 'closed'mountings.

Simple when you know how!

Just my heated steering wheel and adaptive lights to sort out now.

Does anybody have a spare AFS ecu?

Thanks
Andrew Very Happy

Post #7259534th Dec 2010 5:42 pm
Tawny Owl

Andrew ...... Good work Thumbs Up

Will do mine one day when it warms up a bit Whistle

Post #7263295th Dec 2010 4:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >