Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Fault, Limited Gears + Engine Fault Warnings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Transmission Fault, Limited Gears + Engine Fault Warnings

Bought my 2009 disco 3 (96k miles) about a month ago. I am taking her on a long trip around Scotland starting this Sunday. Was running faultlessly but in preparation last week she had the 105k service done. After pickup I noticed the low coolant warning showed so took it back and they checked the level but it was fine and didn't show again. Anyway I used the vehicle on a long trip the following day and on the way home at approx 55mph the Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available + Engine Fault + Suspension lowering came on. I restarted and it came on again. But then restarted after 10 mins and I drove home without issue, and used it lots over the weekend (200 miles ish), with occasional Low Coolant Warnings but no issues. (I ordered a new brake light switch to remove that as a possibility, and booked it in to have the faulty washer bottle replaced. None of this has been done yet).

Then today all the warnings came back. It happened 3 times in quick succession, but after the third restart I drove home fine. Only issue being for some reason the key wouldn't lock or unlock. (I assume this is a separate issue as when I got home, the spare key locked and unlocked it fine).

Upshot is: garage are having it back tomorrow to find the issue and fix hopefully before my trip! I am hoping it's either brake light switch, or washer bottle (or both) as I've read they are the usual culprits for my issue. As for the key, I'm just hoping the spare one is fine and won't play up on the trip!
If anybody's had similar issues, or thinks it could be something else then please let me know! Having just parted with all that money for the big service, I'm dreading what it could turn out to be! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #199429323rd Oct 2018 8:01 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

These errors are possible with low battery voltage and bad earths, check the alternator output and check the battery voltage after resting for a while.
Charge the battery overnight and see what its like the next day.

Post #199475625th Oct 2018 11:12 am
ReadySalted

I sure hope it’s something simple like that! It’s with the garage now so am hoping that it’s not the high pressure fuel pump which they’ve said they have seen lots before with similar symptoms. However I live in hope it’s something cheaper lol.
I will keep the thread posted with updates. Thanks for your input.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #199480025th Oct 2018 12:51 pm
ReadySalted

So the upshot from the garages diagnostics was that it’s the high pressure fuel pump. It was their gut feeling as they see the issue quite commonly but they measured the fuel pressure at each stage and could see it wasn’t producing enough. It’s about the most expensive of the likely culprits so I was pretty disappointed. £1100 from landrover just for the part.

Fortunately the dealer is willing to honour the warranty and replace the pump with a second hand unit as the warranty covers like for like. I’m just happy they didn’t slam the door in my face as my expectations of how helpful they would be were very low. I’m going to pay the difference of a few hundred quid to have a new pump fitted for my own piece of mind, and I should have the disco back by the weekend.

I’m heading up to Scotland on Sunday for a weeks road trip and I’m frightened to death the faults are going to come back while I’m away, and then this will turn out to have all been unnecessary, ending up back at a garage trying to diagnose it again. All I can do is trust in the garage.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #199484825th Oct 2018 4:16 pm
BigAl

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

How much are the garage going to spend for a second hand pump? A brand new oem pump can be bought for just over £600.

Post #199516026th Oct 2018 4:12 pm
ReadySalted

Dealer said he had found second hand pump for 400.
My garage said the OEM pump from landrover was 1100, however they normally do it for 790. In this case they were willing to do it for 700 at cost price. I've no reason to believe they are ripping me off, as it's not in their interest. The dealer stumped up for the labour and part plus VAT. I paid a few hundred quid to ensure I had a new part fitted, and because I was just happy it was being done at my usual trusted garage, and before the weekend so that I don't miss my Scotland trip.

I picked the car up and having driven it all of about 10 miles home it seemed good as gold. Proof will be over the next week around the highlands but I'm hopeful it should be okay! They showed me pictures of my throttle bodies which they also cleaned because they were badly caked in crap from the EGR, so performance should be a little improved now.
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #199524626th Oct 2018 9:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >