Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

another no heat on one side thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
another no heat on one side thread

I thought I'd start another left side of the vehicle is colder than the right thread. I know, I know - there are many already. Most seem to get fixed by flushing/replacing the heater core.

While I have not fixed my problem, yet, it is at least so far sufficiently different that blindly replacing the heater core does not make sense (for me). Implications for me are that if I get this to work I won't have to sit in a lukewarm car in -15 oC Laughing

Please note that my vehicle is an LHD one, so I have the steering wheel on the left hand side. Most people on this forum have a RHD vehicle with the steering wheel on the right. I state this for clarity and simplicity since many previous threads say "passenger side" and leave up to the reader to figure out whether they're RHD or LHD....... Mr. Green

As I spent some money on an IID quite many years ago I thought I'd play with it some rather than blindly replace the heater matrix ( = throw the parts cannon at the problem) although I did get one already last year.... just haven't "gotten around" to taking the center console apart Mr. Green

Anyway, the IID BT's live values come handy as one can either display at a point in time or graph various things the vehicle wants snitch of. I found the following values interesting to display simultaneously:

* left air blend actuator position
    * right air blend actuator position
    * floor - defrost actuator position
    * face - foot stepper actuator position
    * right temperature control
    * left temperature control

The temperature controls are interesting in the sense that if you move them to maximum cold, they will report 255. If you move them to maximum heat, they will report a raw value of zero. 19 degrees will be around 175-177. There are separate values that report this in human numbers rather than raw.

First, let's start with a short literature review. I've trawled through pretty much all the disco3.co.uk and landroverforum articles that mention heat, heater core, heater matrix, passenger side cold, driver's side cold threads. There does not seem be too many posts where one would have diagnosed blender motor broken or at least posted anything besides "yeah bro, it was broken, and I bought a new one and now it works again".

I had one interesting code active:
B1B76-00 (28) Front left air blend stepper actuator

The reason I thought to start a new thread is I think my left-side blender motor is broken. I base this on the fact that the left side only reports two different values:

* invalid
    * intermediate p

while the right-side blender motor reports four different positions:

* invalid
    * maximum cold
    * intermediate p
    * maximum hot

I added a video that shows how the different values change depending on what one chooses from the control panel. Unless you want to have constant humming in your ears, just watch it without sound.

Stuff I have done:

* cleared codes, B1B76-00 did not come back
    * played around with all the settings
    * recirc + econ several times, no change
    * hard reset

Stuff I thought doing next:

* figuring a way to get to the left-side blend motor and playing with the door manually at the same time looking at it with a borescope through an air vent
    * replacing the old motor with a new one *)

*) this is where the interesting stuff starts. JLR usually shows images as RHD and such is the case with the various components of the heating system, too. In reality it seems like I want the right-side blender motor, https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12728/53806/53843/4260/53864, originally JWO500040 and superseded by LR041274. For me it makes sense because the picture would typically be a mirror on a LHD vehicle. This would make the left-side blender motor, https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12728/53806/53843/4260/53863, originally JWO500030 and superseded by LR041273 the wrong one. Whistle

I hope to update this thread with my findings once I've received a new motor and changed it.

Post #232003625th Dec 2022 6:26 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think I read on here an American LHD changing the left blend motor

Post #232004125th Dec 2022 7:24 pm
kajtzu

I read the same. There was another thread on land rover forums where someone said they might have gotten the wrong motor in the right box and complained that it wouldn’t be the first mislabeled part.

I ordered both and will see which fits.

Post #232004425th Dec 2022 7:54 pm
kajtzu

This thread here has a reply that implies the motors need to be swapped from side to side https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2101577.html#2101577

Post #232005125th Dec 2022 8:48 pm
Devon Z

England 

I keep pulling codes for all four air blend motors on mine but heating and ventilation all working as it should thankfully.

Add them to the list of fault codes I have with no apparent faults.
 Steve

*2005 RR Sport 2.7tdv6 HSE. Current project.
*98 Volvo V70R FWD, owned 14 years, future project.
*99 BMW Z3 30k miles owned from new. 

Post #232008226th Dec 2022 12:15 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Kajtzu:
I think you will find your readings for the left stepper motor is correct, the right stepper motor is the master motor, the left is auxiliary and can only change the temperature 3 degrees up or down from the right master motor.
You have got the symptoms of a partly blocked matrix, the only suggestion I can make and I have not tried it is to swap the feed and return pipes round at the connection at the top side of the engine, this will reverse the flow of water in the matrix and may or may not help to clear the blockage. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #232010026th Dec 2022 10:32 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

As above.

You can't put one side on Lo and other side on Hi and expect the steppers to follow that.
And the driver has priority

Maybe you should use the IID to find settings that the car likes, and try and leave/drive with it on that, ? see if it gets hot

Post #232011026th Dec 2022 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >