Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Whining noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nilssonsweden

Sweden 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Whining noise

I just bought my first Discovery 3 V8. Now I hear a whining noise when I slow down speed and accelerate. Is this a common problem when it´s cold outside? (It´s about -15 outside) Or is it a BIG transmission problem? Please help a new Land Rover owner whithout 4WD experience and associated transmission sounds.

Regards
Johan Nilsson in Sweden

Post #73593122nd Dec 2010 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

United Kingdom 

Welcome Johan - I am no professional, I only speak from a recent experience:

A whine at the front can be a few things, best for us not to speculate as it might scare you off Laughing

It may well be as simple as a wheel bearing, or even a stone caught inbetween the brake disk guard and the disk itself. Bodsy on here also said that when one of his rear bearings went it actually sounded like it was a front one.

How old is your D3?

Dont talk about a big transmission problem yet, it could be an easy fix, theres also the diff that could be troublesome.

Anyhow, to sort of eliminate the gearbox for your peace of mind, while you are cruising along (no accelerator) and the whine is present slip the gear into neutral, if the whine dissapears then it could be the gears, if it continues it could be the other bits that I mentioned.
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #73593522nd Dec 2010 9:04 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you happen to have low fuel, it might just be the fuel pump whining too.
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #73593722nd Dec 2010 9:11 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

First thing that needs to be established is .....
Is it Engine or Road speed related.
ie when stationary in neutral and you 'throttle on' does the whine increase with the revs?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #73602522nd Dec 2010 11:24 pm
nilssonsweden

Thanks for your answers!
It´s a 2005. I tried N on the gearbox and the sound was still whining. I also tried to shift Low/High Range. It´s now a job for LR service center I´m afraid. But isn´t the transmission a strong part on Land Rovers?
//Johan

Post #73602622nd Dec 2010 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Could be a wheel bearing on the way out, quite common and not too expensive to fix.

Post #73602822nd Dec 2010 11:28 pm
nilssonsweden

ronp
It´s road speed related. And it does not sound like a stone or something on brake discs. It sounds more like a metallic whining and it appears in low speed.
//Johan

Post #73602922nd Dec 2010 11:29 pm
nilssonsweden

Thanks for all answers! I really appreciate your engagement. Nice forum!!

Post #73846829th Dec 2010 5:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think its fair to say that as there are a lot of gears, chains, shafts and bearings involved in the 4x4 system, then a certain amount of noise is to be expected at times. Certainly I can hear some backround noises from my D3 from time to time, but non of them are loud or intrusive to the passenger. Most notable are a faint howl as the car accelerates and changes up a gear, and also a high pitched whistle if I lift off at very high speeds.

It really depends on how loud your noise is. Niether of my noises have got any worse over 50k miles.

Post #73847229th Dec 2010 5:53 pm
dr_neil

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have a similar whine, it's been there since I bought the D3 about 18 months ago.

Did the usual thing of worrying about it, ignoring it etc then mentioned it to the independent LR guy who does the servicing. His mother's D3 does the same thing, just a characteristic and nothing to worry about. He was very taken with the BAS remap though - thought the performance was great - one of the quickest D3s he'd driven. Laughing

Post #73847729th Dec 2010 6:06 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

nilssonsweden wrote:
Thanks for your answers!
It´s a 2005. I tried N on the gearbox and the sound was still whining. I also tried to shift Low/High Range. It´s now a job for LR service center I´m afraid. But isn´t the transmission a strong part on Land Rovers?
//Johan

Do you mean whining when stationary and in neutral or whining when moving in neutral?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #73877630th Dec 2010 3:03 am
nilssonsweden

Only when moving (neutral or in gear). It´s easier to hear when driving very slowly. Maybe there´s no reason to worry. Maybe it´s a normal noise from this kind of car. //Johan

Post #73881930th Dec 2010 10:28 am
caverD3

Transmission then? Known issues are diff failure and the tranfer case chain.
Are you still under warranty?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #73886030th Dec 2010 12:52 pm
nilssonsweden

No warranty. The car is from 2005 and has 60000 miles behind so I hope there are no big problems. But who knows???

Post #73889130th Dec 2010 1:57 pm
caverD3

Hopefully nothing serious then.
Check diff, transfer case and transmission oil for contamination ould be a first step. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #73901830th Dec 2010 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >