DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

reliability of systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
amoir

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
reliability of systems

My first post. Hello all.

Although D3 is getting universal praise for its off-road capabilities, there are still some reservations among some reviewers about reliability (& also of other hi-tech makes) of the systems in extreme situations, eg the Simpson, Gibson etc, because of the lack of local expertise.

I have read couple of reports of minor computer 'shutdowns' which were solved merely by turning off & restarting the engine, like rebooting a computer. But, before I head remote, has anyone had, or heard of anyone who has had, a total vehicle 'system collapse' ?

Post #905083rd Oct 2006 1:11 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Good question - I'll be interested in the answers, but I've only had my D3 for 5 days, so no experience on this - but we will definitely be using it for intended purpose, and that is a minor concern of mine too...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #905093rd Oct 2006 1:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

Haven't heard of a "total system shutdown". But with a few little mods, the D3 is one hell of a desert tourer.

I've just got back from an 8000 km trip from Perth to Alice and down to the Barossa, via the Great Central Rd through Docker River. If any track was going to shake a car to bits, it'd be that one. The only other traveller I met coming the other way said that at the moment, it was worse than the Gibb River Rd.

Not one problem. Nada. Nil. Nothing. The car still feels as solid as when I left.

I did the desert trip alone up until Alice Springs, where my wife flew in and met me. I did the Laverton to Yulara part in 13 hrs, towing a camper trailer, so I was pushing pretty hard. In fact, I broke a shock mount on the "unbreakable" trailer I was borrowing (a modified rear half of an LR County). At times, when the corrogations got so bad that the car would start yawing and the trailer was about to jack-knife, the computer would cut in and straighten the car out, faster than I could have handled it. On the deeper sandy bits I used the "gravel " setting on the terrain response. The adaptive headlights picked up many a camel lying in the track "just" around the corner, and were brilliant.

I couldn't imagine doing that track in my old D1 at that speed. Either the car or myself would be in pieces.

I've done some small mods to my car, nothing extreme, but certainly useful for a trip like this.

1. I've noticed before on really rough tracks that the EAS compressor cable plug (forward of the compressor) can work its way loose, causing multiple fault lights on the dash and a shutdown of the system. Perhaps it's just my plug fittings, but others have had problems related to loose connections, so I've strapped mine tight with some steel wire. Not had a problem since.

2. I also have a (cheap) steel plate fitted to cover the compressor and protect it properly (the supplied plastic cover is crap).

3. I made up some "real" sill protectors and side bars, which have prevented any lower panel damage to the car.

4. I fitted proper off-road tyres (Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17). Amazing tyres, both on and off road, rocks or mud. They're a little soft, so I'm not expecting a long life from them (although they still look pretty good after 15 000km), but they transform the car into a real off-roader and provide a handy 20mm of extra clearance. No punctures, leaks or damage.

The car is certainly built solid. If you _were_ to have a software malfuntion beyond the black stump, I think it would be pretty unlikely to completely disable the car. A burst air bag would probably be the worst thing that could happen - but I'd imagine you'd be just as likely to break a coil on a more conventional vehicle.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #905153rd Oct 2006 3:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

A great response - thanks Gordon!

Any pics of your mods?

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #905183rd Oct 2006 3:49 am
amoir

Thanks Gordon.
I did the Great Central Rd a couple of years ago in my 97 D1. It did it OK but it needed a bex & a good lie down at the end.

Will take up your suggestions re compressor cable plug.

Cheers,

Alan

Post #905193rd Oct 2006 4:26 am
Jamo

Australia 

Gee whiz Gordon, I did the Great Central Road in my Suby in 2003! You getting soft? Wink

amoir, just familiarise yourself with the vehicle and you'll be right. I've only had two warnings that require re-booting lately; and both were simply because a stick had interfered with the sensor when I was making my own tracks.

I'd take my D3 anywhere with confidence.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #905213rd Oct 2006 5:07 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Jamo,

I did the Central Rd in the '90s in a Peugeot 604 - maybe the old backside isn't what it used to be, but I don't remember it being anywhere near as rough as it is presently. I don't think the NT roadworks boys have ever heard of the term "grader" Smile

I guess the point is that the D3 did it quickly, towing 1.6 tonnes and pretty effortlessly. And I felt refreshed enough to drive the next 6000km or so with ease.

Cheers,

Gordon

PS Soft??? Moi?? The final round of the WA 4WD gymkhana is on in 3 weeks, see you there! Wink
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #905223rd Oct 2006 5:33 am
catweasel

right, we have a D3 challenge on. good stuff lads and I expect plenty of pics.

Post #905233rd Oct 2006 5:44 am
Jamo

Australia 

disco4x4au wrote:

PS Soft??? Moi?? The final round of the WA 4WD gymkhana is on in 3 weeks, see you there! Wink

Ha ha Laughing , Touche! I would if I could, but I can't so i won't.

I wouldn't mind coming for a look, but I can't afford the time at the mo!

The GCR was starting to get bad when we went through. I lost control at one point and ended up nosed into the bush.

I planning a trip up the Connie Sue for sometime in the first half of next year and I've almost completed setting up. I am interested in the compressor plate and how it's fixed. Did you knock up the sliders yourself or did you have them made in perth? I'll either go that way or buy some of nathan's from the US.

Milford told me a cargo barrier will be available in December.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #905243rd Oct 2006 5:54 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

I designed the sliders (well, sill protectors really, although I've rested the car on them a few times in the comps without any drama) and the plate myself and got a local engineering firm to knock them up. They still have the designs - if you wanted a set, the sill protectors came to about $440 a pair and the compressor plate was $170. There are pics in my gallery under "car mods" (some are still uploading at the moment).

I only fit the compressor plate when going offroad, as it increases the vibration through the car when the compressor turns on. It fits _over_ the existing plastic one. I was originally going to replace the original, but all that sound absorbtion padding is there for a reason!

Cheers,

Gordon

Last edited by disco4x4au on 3rd Oct 2006 7:29 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #905253rd Oct 2006 6:01 am
simon_arch1

cargo barrier

Jamo - I can get you a cargo barrier tomorrow... Tradesman make one now - contact me if you want a price... AS certified.

cheers,

Simon
Post #905323rd Oct 2006 7:20 am
simon_arch1

Gordon - thanks for the pics... what tyres and wheels are you running?

Simon
Post #905333rd Oct 2006 7:29 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Tyres are Mickey Thompson MTZ Baja's in 265/70/17 and I can't fault them - brilliant in competition, general off-road, and on road (wet or dry). Might not be the longest lasting (as they're fairly soft), but very strong - no problems running at 14psi in sand or 35psi at high speed.

The wheels are std LR 17" D3 rims.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #905353rd Oct 2006 8:22 am
catweasel

have a read of this post. failures it might have but stopping it altogether ?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post79575.html#79575

Post #905443rd Oct 2006 9:11 am
amoir

Quote:
The final 2 days I had my Suspension failure 8 times but each time it reset itself after restarting the motor, I suspect the corrugations affect the sensors

It would be a nuisance, but that's all it would be. Nothing much would get over the CSR without much more serious injury.

On a related item. Land Rover Aust promises Roadside Assistance "anywhere". Anyone had or heard of experiences ?

I'm no mechanic, but can usually slowly work my way through mechanical problems logically. But for me electronics defy logic.

Post #919957th Oct 2006 11:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >