Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Waxoyl - a warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
jedi

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Waxoyl

The outcome is really a recommendation to a .. Do it yourself or b, use some one else. Never before and after. He's a nightmare and his workshop is just a shed with very poor tools. My car was stuck on his lift for 2 hrs as it stopped working!
 Disco 1 200tdi, Td5 x2, Range Rover 200tdi, P38, Defender 90, D3 (05) D3 (57)  
Post #150059112th Jul 2015 12:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I did a Volvo 240

As a DIY project with Halfords bought waxOyl
I did remove all I could....
Covered myself in the stuff when the applicator came adrift more than once....under ther car you can't move out of the way....
I had water repellant clothes, hair (when I had a bit) & beard.
The 240 lived to 23 yrs 380,000 plus miles...
It did work in most places except for the air channelled sills (may have occluded the critical water drains)
The rest of the hulk was rust free...
I never did get rid of the WaxOyl odour ........either in the car or in my workshop.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #150059312th Jul 2015 12:11 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive always liked reading threads where Chrissboy posts Mr. Green

One thing to be aware of he only took cash some years ago, might have changed? but could make comebacks difficult.

Post #150070012th Jul 2015 5:06 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hmmm...

This guy did my D2 when I got it a few years back - it was one owner and low mileage in good nick so as I was planning on keeping it a while I decided to get it waxoyled.

Booked my slot and took a day off work (self employed) to take it up to him, borrowed a courtesy car and went to Motor Industry Heritage Museum for the day. Arrived back at the appointed time to find car covered in overspray which he was still cleaning off - including on the alloys. When he'd finished I took my car and drove the 2 hours home with it stinking of a mix of white spirit and waxoyl.

Next time I washed the car I did the usual thing of thumb over the end of the hosepipe to create a bit of a fan effect (low mains pressure where I live) & up under the wheel arches to remove the mud that gets flung up there from our country lanes. Result was the waxoyl came off in large pieces.

Took the car to my local garage and got it on a ramp to look underneath and found significant areas where there was no waxoyl because they were in the 'shadow' of other components. More worryingly, looking into the ends to the chassis at the rear there was zero waxoyl inside and looking through various other holes elsewhere in the chassis with a small inspection light suggested they had not been properly treated internally.

Took lots of photos and sent them to him and he agreed to do the job again. Another day without earning any money and after lots of excuses about why it had not taken properly the first time I was once again driving home in a car stinking of white spirit and waxoyl. At least he gave me a partial refund to cover my fuel costs for the return trip.

Why am I reminded of this now? - well I'm looking to buy a D3/4 next spring and been surfing this forum to get knowledge on what to look for and found this post so, thinking it would be warnings about sensors to cover up etc., I started reading it. I know it is old but it has reminded me of my past experience - not one I would want to repeat or wish on others, even those with old leaf spring series landies!

Next dilemma is whether to even bother getting the D3/4 treated when I get it. Would be good to hear from D3/4 owners who have used other outfits and to get photos of good jobs posted etc. Hatfield isn't that far from me, a bit closer than Rugby, and people seem to speak well of that outfit but is there anywhere South/West of M25 that anyone can recommend?

Also interested to know whether to go Waxoyl or Dinitrol?
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #151750119th Aug 2015 11:46 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have used Waxoyl but would only now use Dinitrol - pick the right type for the right purpose (rust curing, normal protection, hot areas or underbody)
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #151760219th Aug 2015 5:18 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive probably said it above waxoyl is nowhere near as good as it was many years ago, Morris Lubricants Ankor wax is pretty good stuff.

My father in law bought a new 1989 nissan cherry, he waxoyled it every year, in the end the annual mot welding bills put paid to the car.
I saw him waxoyl it on more than one occasion and he wasnt shy with the coverage.

I used it myself on many cars over the years and it always came off where road spray could get at it.

I redo my 90 and S2 each year with ankor wax and its always still firmly attached and squidgy when pressed with your finger, even where the road spray can get at it, both cars were off roaded a lot and often covered in mud then pressure washed.

Post #151768119th Aug 2015 8:09 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

VVS10 - try Rustmaster at Hatfield - I used their Knutsford branch and can recommend - been on 18 months now - no issues with it coming away etc

Post #151784820th Aug 2015 10:22 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

http://www.rustmaster.co.uk/

njss
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #151790520th Aug 2015 1:16 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had mine done at Hatfield, still well covered - one tip, make sure you remove the spare wheel before you go. I'm still trying to get the Waxoyl off mine Big Cry

Post #151791620th Aug 2015 2:04 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks guys, according to Dinitrol website Rustmaster are one of their application centres so will speak to them nearer the time to discuss Waxoyl vs. Dinitrol. Cheers.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #151802220th Aug 2015 6:56 pm
D4mond

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks chaps. A really helpful post. I think I'll look at alternatives!

Post #15265858th Sep 2015 11:22 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

D4mond - welcome.

Quote:
according to Dinitrol website Rustmaster are one of their application centres

I suggest you talk to Rustmaster they are very experienced with Discoveries, and use a range of products on them.

They will explain the whole process.

Let us know how you get on.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #15266089th Sep 2015 7:39 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

How can an experienced company spray the spare wheel?

If they fail to notice the big round thing what else are they failing on?

Shocked
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #15266119th Sep 2015 7:44 am
bobupndown

Northern Ireland 

This post makes truly shocking reading!
Ive read all the self praising / everybody else slagging adverts in LRO / LRM over the years and always thought that they were a bit odd by their tone but thought that if he's spending so much advertising every month he must be doing good business with satisfied customers. It would appear not.
I considered buying a new Defender before production ends (sadly Im not able to now) and taking it to this company to have treated to make it last indefinately. It would seem that this would have been a waste of my time and hard earned money.
I have a D2 that Ive owned for nearly 9 years, I bough it at 3 years old from it's first owner and have cherished it since. I waxoil it myself, sometimes on the driveway on axle stands, sometimes I get the use of a four post lift at my brother's work. It gets a damn good going over and every where I can get the lance into on the chassis gets well treated. I have drilled the sills and doors, coating them internally to the best of my ability and plugged the holes with flush rubber grommets leaving a neat appearance. I hope that Ive given my D2 every chance of lasting as long as possible.
I have an old 100l compressor in the garage which has just about breathed its last. I'll replace it this year which will probably cost about £3-400 but its money well spent, apart from the savings on a "professional" job it will do so many other tasks for me. So all in all, Thanks Chris - but no thanks Shocked
 2004 Discovery 2 Td5 Landmark
2013 VW Tiguan Tdi 4motion
1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe 

Post #152817312th Sep 2015 11:40 am
Chrisholly31

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Had my Defender done, by the chap who advertises in LRO monthly. As outlined he over ran, and there was a lot of residual Waxoyl splatter which took a long time to get rid of, frankly the whole thing was a bit disappointing. When I bought the D3 I did A bit more research and used Rust Master in Hatfield. There is simply no comparison between the two, Rustmaster was light years ahead, a clean and tidy premises, I was made to feel welcome and dropped off at Hatfield house for a day out. The Job was completed on time with minimal of fuss and really good coverage overall, the attention to detail was phenomenal. It's even the smaller things, you get a hologram sticker from Rustmaster guaranteeing the work, as opposed to a handwritten certificate. I would have no hesitation in recommending Rustmaster to anyone.
 57 Defender 110 XS TDCi
55 Discovery 3 TDV6 ‘S’ Manual, re-homed in the West Country, lovingly maintained by Woody32
63 Discovery 4 SDV6 XS (Best of the bunch). 

Post #152818312th Sep 2015 12:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >