DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Vibration at 80-90 km/hr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Vibration at 80-90 km/hr

Hi Guys

I have a small vibration in the vehicle (V8 HSE) which comes in between 80 & 90 km/hours and is not present at any other speed. One can feel the vibration mainly through the accelerator pedal. I have had the wheel balancing and alignment checked a few times and this does not seem to the cause.

Could it be propshafts, CV's, etc? Any ideas would be much appreciated before I take it into my local independent repairer for an assessment.

Thanks
Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #88280313th Jan 2012 9:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dunny1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi
Could be a majority of things, however i do remember a lot of issues on the forum with front wheel bearing cracks, bushings etc maybe you need to post your milage as well, since parts do have a life span limit, is the vibration definatly coming from the foot pedal and not the steering.

Post #88283713th Jan 2012 11:26 am
Doc

Hi Dunny, thanks for the reply. The mileage on the vehicle is 109 000 km and the don't think the vibration is coming from the steering wheel. I have had the lower front suspension bushes changed a few months ago as they were worn. Any ideas on the cause of vibration would be much appreciated.

Regards
Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #88352915th Jan 2012 8:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dunny1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Doc
as previously mentioned could be many things, try to elimate symptoms of vibration first, such as does this vibration happen whilst in a certain gear or when turning or movement of steering wheel or just at the speed you mentioned, is there any noise associated with the vibration, does the car pull to the left or the right when braking or when trying to go in a strait line. i would try to get as much info on to the forum as possible for the other memebers impute as well.

Depending on the full symptoms of your problem it could be anything from a simple fix, wheel bearing to a gear box flush, diff etc.

I hope that it is something simple and cheap to fix mate but the more info the better and quicker to the problem solve.

Post #88360015th Jan 2012 12:31 pm
Doc

Thanks Dunny, I will take your advice Thumbs Up I have had the double gearbox flush at 90 000 km. I do hope that it is something cheap to fix.

Regards
Doc
Post #88398816th Jan 2012 12:06 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Would be good to swap some wheels off another disco as quite often it is a problem with tyres or ballance at that speed. Also a lot of tyre places do not have a spigot big enough for the ballance machine for Discos and do not ballance them right.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #88409316th Jan 2012 11:19 am
Doc

Thanks 90 Rangie, I have had the wheels balanced at a few different places and still the vibration persists. I do take your point that the tyre fitment centres might not be doing a good job Evil or Very Mad
Post #88409816th Jan 2012 11:30 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Doc,
I have seen some tyres have vibration problems even when ballanced but if they have been moved to different positions you will normally see a difference with the vibration even if not fixed. That was why I suggested swaping wheels. Good luck with solving your problem.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #88530618th Jan 2012 12:56 pm
Doc

Thanks 90 Rangie, I will give that a bash. Let you know the outcome Thumbs Up
Post #88574019th Jan 2012 12:18 am
JeffD4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Doc, like you I live in Perth and was wondering who did your transmission flush? Very Happy
 Land Rover Series IIA 1967
Discovery 300 Tdi 1998 (white, ARB bullbar, suspension lift, roof rack, Lightforce spots etc)
Discovery 4 3.0 Litre White, e-diff 

Post #90749910th Mar 2012 5:39 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can you feel the vibration through the steering?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #90750110th Mar 2012 6:42 am
Doc

Hi Guys

Funny thing, I eventually had the gearbox flushed at Discovery Automotive (Wangara, Perth) and the vibration has gone away completely. I had flushed the gearbox about 20,000 km earlier but the previous garage used Penrite oil instead of the ZF fluid. Discovery Automotive only use ZF oil Thumbs Up
Post #90750310th Mar 2012 7:21 am
JeffD4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Doc, thanks for the advice on the flush. I may give them a try as well. Very Happy
 Land Rover Series IIA 1967
Discovery 300 Tdi 1998 (white, ARB bullbar, suspension lift, roof rack, Lightforce spots etc)
Discovery 4 3.0 Litre White, e-diff 

Post #90754210th Mar 2012 10:49 am
Doc

No worries Jeff Thumbs Up
Post #90784311th Mar 2012 7:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >