DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Tow Assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kljw

Scotland 
Tow Assist

Ok,
this may have been answered, but i shall asked again. have on order 2nr D4's. one for me and the other Fiona. i have decided not to buy certain accessories from the dealer, i.e. dog guard, loadspace liner mud flaps, as they can be sourced allot cheaper elswhere.
however, the i have a question about tow bars. both cars need these fitting, but i am aware that the tow assist needs to be activated once the tow bars are fitted. i can purchase tow bars again at a far cheaper price than the dealer has quoted. but if i do this, how do i get the tow assist to be activated? can it be doe at a dealers? or even better, csn it be done with a faultmate?
on another note, we have been quoted 2 different prices for the tow bars, £425 for my HSE and £600 for Fiona's XS. any thoughts on this?
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #8320146th Sep 2011 8:17 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

I seem to remember this being asked before and if remember correctly it just works once it spots the electrical connection to trailer/ tintent. although there was something about settings and a paper target (triangle with 3 dots) being used for helping the setting up.

somebody who knows better will correct me I'm sure Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #8320226th Sep 2011 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Not sure why you have been quoted two diffrent prices, are they both for the same spec electrics?
As for tow assit, thought this only came with the full camera set up and could not be acctivated by a faultmate, but there are many wiser persons on here so they may know better.
Would have thought that buying two from the smae dealer you could have got the tow bars thrown in as part of the deal
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8320236th Sep 2011 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Popelka

Czech Republic 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54867.h...+%2Bassist

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic65241.h...+%2Bassist

and discodunc has these

Click image to enlarge
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #8320256th Sep 2011 8:40 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Faultmate can activate tow assist ... I did it on mine Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #8320316th Sep 2011 8:59 am
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

As far as I Know, Tow Assist does only work if you have the full 5 camera system fitted at the factory. (I have it and it's great) the 3 dots are for setting up the tow assist. Stability Assist is something different and this works automatically once the electrics are connected and no need to have it enabled as all D4's have it.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #8320336th Sep 2011 9:04 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

highbayrack wrote:
As far as I Know, Tow Assist does only work if you have the full 5 camera system fitted at the factory. (I have it and it's great) the 3 dots are for setting up the tow assist. Stability Assist is something different and this works automatically once the electrics are connected and no need to have it enabled as all D4's have it.

So, do you leave the 3 dots on the trailer/caravan permanently, or is it just for setup. ?
Jimbo

Post #8320896th Sep 2011 12:06 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Good question, I'm not sure, but I would think not. Mine are still on the caravan but the rain is affecting the glue so they will fall off on their own before we next use the van Laughing
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #8320936th Sep 2011 12:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Did you find out if the dots need to stay on the trailer/caravan when using tow assist?

Just pondering on my next car and whether it's worth it, or save the money, or find a car with it on or if not, activate it via faultmate (I assume I would need surround cameras) though I would need my2012 to be availible

Post #93656529th May 2012 7:58 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes the target needs to be on the trailer .. Other wise it can't recognise the settings
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #93658929th May 2012 8:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #93659029th May 2012 8:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >