Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Ski racks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Ski racks

I picked up a Thule Xtender sliding ski rack but have hit a snag trying to fit it to my Prorack Whispbars.

The issue appears to be that the bars have a curve on them but if you tighten the Xtender down, using the rather short bolts supplied and using the 'pound coin thick' washers, the rack ends up bending to sit flush with the curved bars and this has the unwelcome effect of locking the sliding mechanism...

The OE sliding ski rack LR006849 appears to be visually identical but today whilst out and about, I saw a D4 on the road with what may have been the OE bars and ski rack fitted and the rack appeared to sit a few mm proud of the bars, more so at the ends ( i.e. not flush with the bars and forced into a curve).

Perhaps all I need are longer bolts and thicker washers to allow the rack to remain straight when bolted down to a slightly curved set of bars?

Can anyone confirm and are such bolts readily available?
 MY11 D4 SDV6 SE LHD (with remote park heater, heated seats in row 2, heated steering wheel and rear HVAC controls!)  
Post #88343114th Jan 2012 8:22 pm
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Update: I solved my problem with no help from the vendor [roofbo(llo)x.co.uk] after spotting a Volvo running a similar rig. Some Googling later I discovered that Volvo sell a fitting kit (part number: K8682185) with longer T Bollts and 22mm spacers so I am now good to go! I might assume that the Land Rover version includes similar parts in the LR006849 kit as I can't see any such kit separately available..
 MY11 D4 SDV6 SE LHD (with remote park heater, heated seats in row 2, heated steering wheel and rear HVAC controls!)  
Post #88586119th Jan 2012 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >