Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

WEBASTO HEATER TIMER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ENVOY

WEBASTO HEATER TIMER

Hi all

I have come over from the RRSUK site as requested to post information about the timer for the Webasto dieael heater which i believe is fitted to some D3's

My company among other things is a Webasto agent, and i have made enquiries about the timer, The up shot is i should be able to get the kits with english instructions early in the new year, We will be fitting one to my RRS and then reporting on how easy the instructions are to follow and the approx time it takes to fit. The retail price is going to be abut £400. plus carriage plus VAT.
If we buy a quantity then there will be a good discount. If you would like me to persue this then i will need to who is interseted and together with RRSUK members we should be able to get a good deal.
 RRS HSE TDV8 ZERMAT silver
Cobra 

Post #10994714th Dec 2006 6:05 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

This would be great, but we have had so many false dawns with this issue. I wish we could make it work as a proper pre-heater.

I for one would buy such a kit, if it proved to be possible.

Post #10996714th Dec 2006 7:12 pm
ENVOY

I will be trialling this on my own vehicle for webasto, all we can do is try the proper bit of kit and see if it works
Cobra 

Post #10999714th Dec 2006 8:00 pm
XX03

United Kingdom 

Will be better to get a price say for 100 and another for 250 and so on.

£400 seems to be alot just for a timer, we have these on our BT vans. You can program the heater to run for 1hr at 3 different times a day. Maybe the £400 one's are different, can we get any spec on the system being looked at.

Would be interested but feel it's got to be something better than the one's on BT vans for £400. The one on my van is more than adequate, van is lovely and warm in the morning with no scrapeing or squeegeeing of the screen, just get in, start up and drive off.

I personally would like to know more of what you get for the £400...

Post #10999814th Dec 2006 8:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would imagine Webasto are pricing it at 'market value' nothing to do with the cost of parts and development, from what I have seen of an early sample, the most complicated bit is a PWM relay to control the fan speed, it's possible that later (pre-production) versions incorporate some form of CANbus interface... possibly the £400 includes installation?

Still, i'm prepared to have a look at it, Envoy, will you be posting photo's of the kit and install?

Post #11000114th Dec 2006 8:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

sorry i cant do to much about the price apart from getting discounts for quantites, the price wont include fitting.
As soon as i have the kit i will post some pics and the fitting details, when we fit it i will do some installiation pictures and then i will let you know how good it is.
Cobra 

Post #11000614th Dec 2006 8:24 pm
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have a look at my two posts in this thread...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6471-30...82e603565b

The timer is cfg'ed to heating+fan (winter) or fan only (summer cooling) plus heating/fan time.

Then you have 3 time slots you can configure, but it takes only 10 secs to alter time in 1 of the slots if you need a different one.

Instant heat button does not work because the can bus has to shut down before the fbh starts or it will shut the fbh down with it. this can be remedied with making a timed start 2 minutes in to future.

Acc. to webasto and my dealer the remote control or telestart cannot be brought to work on a D3. Webasto has tried and failed. My dealer tried on a D3 and never made it work consistently. They both blame the can bus incompability with the webasto remote hw.

Besides that it works great - after 30 minutes the engine is heated so the needle goes just above the first bracket on the temp gauge. Hot air starts flowing from heater system seconds after start. I'm still looking forward to see the deicing capability of this in winter.
Typically - you spend a fortune on the car and add heater timer for big $$$ on top. Then you have a frost free winter Rolling Eyes Guess it worked Laughing

Now hold on - timer plus install is £700 here in Denmark (VAT included, 25%) so figure the raw price to be around £560 ex. VAT.

Cheers
Jakob

PS - car was nice warm at 6:30 this morning when coming down to drive to work 8)

Post #11001114th Dec 2006 8:51 pm
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I have probably one of the first webasto oval timer installations done on D3. It was done over year ago and the price including installation was in line with £400 .

I have also a GSM/GPS tracker with some outputs. What I have done is I have hardwired the Instant Heat button to a relay and the tracker output then engages the relay whenever I send a text message with an output command.

This works great but as Jakob says you have to wait about ten minutes before sending the message. Usually this is not a problem. Also if I open the front doors when webasto is working it shuts itself as the CAN bus wakes up.

Post #11010015th Dec 2006 9:05 am
JakobVels

I have thought about wiring something to the instant heat button too - Thanks for posting this, now i know it is working.

Next problem - my tracker has no outputs.

Anybody have any ideas how to remote this Question

I would sooo love to be able to remote control it as i do not always know when i am leaaving from work - and i do sometimes forget to set the timer and remember at 6:30

Bring out your ideas...

Cheers
Jakob

EDIT: Anybody know if some kind of affordable gsm reciever remote control unit ?

Post #11026415th Dec 2006 5:20 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Haven't yet found any affordable ones, only very unaffordable ones :

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Remote_Control_250.html

or cheap modules that need a whole mobile to work (doesn't look foolproof, will switch on wrong numbers) :

http://www1.uk.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zc...chedetail=

This one looks interesting, but no idea on price :
http://www.sendtech.co.uk/GSMKey.shtml

I'll keep trawling and let you know if I find something...avoiding work as if I actually change anything now I'd be dangerous Rolling Eyes
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #11029915th Dec 2006 6:21 pm
JakobVels

Im thinking of going for, TELEMETRY MODULE STD32, From Conrad. www.conrad.com search for std32, cannot link direct.

"Idle current:15mA, Peak up to 500mA" is that acceptable in a car when it is sometimes parked for week without usage ?

It is £155 / €200 which i think is acceptable as this seem straight forward no bull* setup.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #11041016th Dec 2006 9:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >