Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

CHECK YER TOW BARS THIS WEEKEND.... VOSA ARE ON TO IT!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There is an advisory addendum in the 2013MY section of the D4 user manuals in TOPIx which re-emphasises that when the removable bar is in use it is critical that the nose weight does not exceed that which is stated by LR. Other than that there is nothing in terms of a TSB.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9744387th Sep 2012 12:49 pm
Hi.Jack

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Just checked mine and she's tight. Thumbs Up

After some vigorous pulling and pushing in all directions it just made a soft click to indicate that it's not rusted in. Not really a robust scientific test but as good as it gets.

How would you measure the 2-3mm tolerance anyway. By the edge of the ball? If that was the case I would guess I had maybe half a mm of play vertically. Latterly, none.

Thanks for the heads-up mr. character. I had a bike trailer slip off the tow-bar once while loading my bike and it damaged the tailgate. Been nervous about the towbar / trailer issue ever since.
 '09 LR3 4.4 HSE Zermatt Silver
'10 Prado TXL 2.7 White - to go soon
'13 Audi Q7 3.0 FTSI
Local Fuel Price 29p a liter 

Post #9747558th Sep 2012 9:33 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

found this today

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/12459/towbar.pdf
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #99452526th Oct 2012 3:09 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I have play on mine, but the question I have, Is it the housing in the crossmember, the towhook itself or the steel locating pin in the towhook that wears and allows this movement? Or is it just bad casting of the hook that allows this failure?
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #99456126th Oct 2012 5:46 pm
G1BB0

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Coming into this debate late in the day but I had experience with a removable tow bar failing on my last D3. It had only done about 80,000 miles at the time and had only been used for occasional towing of our twin axle caravan.

Noticed a clunk on one journey home with the tintent on the back and when I unhitched at home I felt what I considered to be excessive movement on the towbar. Took it into our local dealer the following day who said that it needed lubricating and cleaning out, which they did. Seemed firmer afterwards but I tested it on their forecourt before I left and after a couple of slight wobbles it then started moving significantly. Got a technician out to look at it and he hit it with a rubber mallet and it dropped out - even though it was definitely properly installed and locked into position.

Fortunately no trailer on at the time of failure so no-one injured but I replaced it with a multi-adjust towbar as I wanted something bolted on! Interesting though that, when fitting the new bar, there was no slack in it before the side arms were fitted, so obviously the original towbar had worn, rather than the hole in the chassis.

Anyway, another anecdote to add to the discussion but mine had certainly not been used for a lot of heavy towing and I would never put a removable tow bar on again personally but, as some have said, most people out there use them without any problem. Still, better to be aware of a potential issue and make your own judgement call than to be oblivious, I reckon.

Needless to say that when I got the latest D3 it had a multi-height towbar put on it pretty promptly!
 MY11 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE
Previously 06MY Disco 3 TDV6 HSE
Previously 06MY D3 TDV6 7 st 

Post #99462626th Oct 2012 7:41 pm
lincoln ashton

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: CHECK YER TOW BARS THIS WEEKEND.... VOSA ARE ON TO IT!!!

character wrote:
as posted the other week soon after having had my complete rear cross member and fixed tow bar replaced at a cost of ovr £1200

Having had failure of our fixed LR towbar I took the opportunity at the weekend to write off to VOSA using their online safety reporting (which you open up as a word doc and then print off and send to them via RM).

Anyhow two working days later I got a call from VOSA this morning to confirm that they had my report moreover they have been working with JLR Group due to the concerns relating to the "removable " towbars that had failed.

Having examined a number of them JLR appear to be soon to issue formal instructions to both the sales and service dept of the dealership network to educate them regards the use of the "removable" tow bar and more importantly its use for "occassional" towing ONLY.

Beyond this it is my understanding that JLR have been agreed to write to all existing owners of a vehicle that left the factory with a tow bar, to point out that this tow bar is for "light towing/occasional use" ONLY and not to be used as an alternative to a normal fixed one Shocked

JLR are also to send out a gague tool for the service dept to use to check existing removable tow bars for play although the VOSA man wwas unable to comment on what action is to be taken if the current one fitted has/or about to fail (ie whether they will pay for its replacement).

Naturally the VOSA man was on me first thing as our is the first instance of a fixed tow bar failing that has been reported to them (but in the same way as a removable one) and wanted to know whether we had the old cross member/tow bar , which unfortunately we did not

That said, he is now asking JLR for their views on fixed tow bars and seem to be suggesting that these too should fall in to the catagory of needing improvement.

Bearing in mind we did not know it failed until the side supports were undone, might I suggest you guys get a braker bar and spanner and see if yer current fixed bar has gone pete tong by undoing the side supports and then see if there is any play with the hitch insitu.

IF YOU DO FIND YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YER FIXED LR TOW BAR, PLEAE CONTACT ME ASAP AS VOSA WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE and who knows, JLR might pay for its replacement to use the old one Whistle

BTW. The fixed tow bar cannot be undone by an MOT centre to check for play as the law does not allow them to tamper with a vehicle, it has to be looked at in its presented condition which means without undoing the supports you'll never know whether its knackered till its too late Evil or Very Mad
hello my wife was towing a six month old ifor willams trailor with a new track chipper on it when the tow bar just droped out the trailor the hit an on comming van wrighting it of along with my chipper and trailor the chap in the van was taken to hospital.Landrover sent the tow bar of to thule towing systems for investigation the report came back saying that ether is was the wong tow hitch on the trailor or that the tow bar was not connected properly.!!!! to start with it is a ifor willams trailor with the correct tow hitch secondly i can prove that hte tow bar was conected properly just by takeing the chipper on and of the trailor.how many people need to be killed be for they do something???????do you have a contact number of the man from vosa?  
Post #10007269th Nov 2012 2:51 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

simply go on the vosa website ans submit the online form, the man will call yer with 72 hours to ask if you've got the tow bar for them to have a look at

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

Thumbs Up

Post #100201612th Nov 2012 12:43 am
watchman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
Demountable tow bar disco 3

Has everybody been informed that the demountable tow bar on disco 3 is now officially downgraded to light duty use only following many instances of locking mechanism failures. Land Rover should be contacting all owners to inform them of this following instructions from VOSA. If you have not been contacted check with your dealer at once. You need the multi-height (fixed type) for towing large or multi-axle trailers. Your dealer will replace yours for you.

Post #120773226th Dec 2013 6:55 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi there can you give some info please regards this post .
Not had or heard or informed re tow bar problems only just come out the dealers last week after a month
What are LR saying regards this matter new fixed towbar FOC ??
As i do a lot of towing with a d3 with a detachable tow bar Thumbs Up

Post #120774126th Dec 2013 7:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Lots on here about it, try the search function. Like http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic80280.html?highlight=

Post #120774426th Dec 2013 7:37 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So am I foolish to think that this is not a huge risk, I tow a twin axel caravan and it seems fine... Don't really want a Censored big tow bar in the back full time
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #120774726th Dec 2013 7:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Demountable tow bar disco 3

watchman wrote:
Has everybody been informed that the demountable tow bar on disco 3 is now officially downgraded to light duty use only following many instances of locking mechanism failures. Land Rover should be contacting all owners to inform them of this following instructions from VOSA. If you have not been contacted check with your dealer at once. You need the multi-height (fixed type) for towing large or multi-axle trailers. Your dealer will replace yours for you.

Your statement about a VOSA recall, LR contact and a replacement is totally incorrect.

The advice issued by LR is as follows:

Quote:
QUICK RELEASE TOW BALL FOR
RANGE ROVER SPORT, DISCOVERY
3 AND DISCOVERY 4

Applicability
This information is applicable to all model
years for the following vehicles:
• Range Rover Sport - All models.
• Discovery 3 - All models.
• Discovery 4 - All models.
1. Vehicle mounted receiver.
2. Quick release tow ball.
The tow ball unit locks into the vehicle
mounting when required for towing.
This quick release tow ball should be used only
for nose loads up to a maximum of 150Kg
(330lb).

ESSENTIAL TOWING CHECKS
• DO NOT exceed the revised nose weight
limit of 150kg (330lb).
• When the quick release tow ball is not
required for immediate use, it should be
removed and stowed in the appropriate
place.

HEAVY DUTY MULTI-HEIGHT TOW
BAR SYSTEM
If there is a requirement for towing with a
greater nose weight, for example, commercial
or constant use towing, Land Rover
Accessories have available a suitable tow bar
system.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #120775926th Dec 2013 8:28 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There was a recall on the early QR towbars, due to fracture issues, however, as DG says, there has been no official announcement from LR Thumbs Up

For frequent, heavy towing, a Multi-Height bar is always advised, as the QR ones have been known to work loose, wear away the rear crossmember, and in some cases fall out whilst towing...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #120776326th Dec 2013 8:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Can't find any recalls relating to towing equipment back to 1992 Mikey ...was it just a TSB notice? Confused

VOSA LR
Post #120776626th Dec 2013 8:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Yes, TSB Embarassed

Numbers involved were not large, so doubt there was a need for a recall
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #120776726th Dec 2013 9:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >