Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Ride height only - safe to drive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
The Wild Rover

Ride height only - safe to drive?

Hi lads,

Got the dreaded "ride height only" message and the yellow light. Started a while ago very infrequently and disappears again when I restart the engine. However, its becoming a pretty regular occurance now and I reckon the compressor is on its way out Big Cry I fixed an appointment with the stealer but that's two weeks away. Do you reckon it's safe to drive the wagon with a dodgy compressor or will I do more damage? Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Ralph

Post #128752621st May 2014 7:17 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Do you mean "Ride Height Only" or do you mean "Suspension Fault - Normal Ride Height Only"? Confused

Can't say I've experienced the "Ride Height Only" message myself. I had the "Suspension Fault - Normal Ride Height Only" message recently and I put a new dryer unit on it yesterday. No more bongs and the warning light has now gone off. Thumbs Up

I would imagine a LR dealer will want to replace the entire compressor. I can't see them wanting to replace the dryer alone. Whistle

Fault code C1A20 will probably be stored and this typically points to a blocked or cracked dryer on the compressor or a leaky air tank. Both fixes should be no more than £90 in parts (unless you choose to replace the compressor with a newer AMK one).

My recent experience with this: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic112311.html

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #128752821st May 2014 7:20 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep, it was a blocked dryer in my case too. But since I was going on a 13,000km road trip 1 week later, I panicked and replaced the compressor with a brand new one.

Only realised it was just the dryer after the road trip when I took the old compressor apart. Ended up selling it to my independent for him to replace the dryer and maybe reuse it somewhere.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #128753221st May 2014 7:32 pm
The Wild Rover

Yep, That's the message I get - "Suspension Fault - Normal Ride Height Only".
Thanks for the tip with the dryer....sounds like a potential culprit. Only problem is that I won't be able to fix that myself and since D3s are as rare as hen's teeth in Germany there are practically no good indies here and as you guessed correctly the official LR dealers only want to change parts Evil or Very Mad
We'll see, have to have a chat with them.

Post #128772922nd May 2014 7:05 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Don't dismiss a leaky air tank, too. Some older D3 air tanks are beginning to rust through at the front (usually just pin holes) and you might like to give it a squirt of a soapy liquid solution to see if any bubbles appear.

You could also do the same on the compressor if you remove the lower cover. Hairline cracks between the two voss connectors (one red, one blue) on the dryer lid seem surprisingly common. You only need a 10mm spanner/socket to remove the three bolts that hold the bottom compressor cover on. The bolt on the bottom of the compressor cover will probably shear off as it will be corroded into the compressor bracket but it will still be held on with two other bolts.

Air tank is cheaper than a new compressor by about £400. Thumbs Up

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #128779522nd May 2014 9:35 am
The Wild Rover

Cheers Steve. Will do. Thumbs Up

Post #128785822nd May 2014 12:11 pm
stevieltl

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

hi this is my first post, love my 05 disco3 but it is a complete pain at times. its currently at an indie who is completely at a loss with suspension fault. C1A20 and 13 came up as codes, compressor still works occasionally with some persuasion but usually it is stuck with front end on ground. I still drive it like that cos I have no option.

Post #128885124th May 2014 9:05 pm
therealboss

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I wouldn't drive it if the front had no air, I don't know for sure but I think it would knacker the struts and then you are talking big money to sort it out.
 Dale

Mods to date.
D4 Rear Lights
Xenon Lights fitted & De-Tangoed
RAI, V8 Brake Upgrade, AMK Compressor
Beanie Grill
ProSpeed Roof Rack & Ladder
ProSpeed Tree/Rock Sliders
Disco3.co.uk Orange Sticker
ATR's Fitted
Club Blackvue 

Post #128890124th May 2014 11:18 pm
stevieltl

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

already replaced bottom and top bushes front and back just want to get to bottom of suspension problems. looks like air dryer is problem so going to give that a try. beyond that it could be wiring issue, found out a fair bit on net tonight appreciate all the posts. too scared to take disco to main dealer, have heard some horror stories about my local.l
cheers Stevie

Post #128890324th May 2014 11:33 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

@stevieltl

I'm sure a new dryer will sort it out. I had C1A20 and C1A13 stored before I did mine:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic112311.html

I'm surprised your indie does not know how to fix this! Shocked Have you been in contact with Disco_Mikey on here? He's mobile and covers a large part of Scotland.

If the front end is always on the bump stops then that suggests another problem elsewhere. A leak perhaps? If the front end always fails to rise then that suggests a problem with a valve block.

If you have a leak, your compressor will be working overtime to try and compensate for that. Best locate and fix the leak before repairing the compressor. Thumbs Up

Good luck,

Steve

Post #128894225th May 2014 9:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >