DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

clutch hydraulics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
vee8ight

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
clutch hydraulics

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago the clutch pedal did not return to its normal position when released, I hooked my toe under it and lifted it up and it seemed to operate normally. Yesterday when I got in after my son had moved it the pedal was down again, but this time the clutch would not disengage till the pedal was right down at the floor and no amount of pumping the pedal has made any difference.
I eventually twigged (with no help from the handbook) that the clutch hydraulics feed off the brake reservoir and that although the level was above the minimum (no light on) the bit that feeds the clutch appeared empty.
I've filled the reservoir up to the max mark and this seems to have filled the clutch bit, but unsurprisingly the clutch is still the same and I can barely get first and reverse.
Presumably I've got a leak, and I understand the slave cylinder is in the 'box so how do you bleed it ? I am reasonably capable, but I shudder at the thought of taking the 'box out !
With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight the pedal had been squeaking when operated for some time.
Any suggestions

Gerry.

Post #94782628th Jun 2012 12:33 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the pedal had been 'squeaking', I'd suspect the master cylinder seals sticking, and the leak may also be there (much easier fix), but obviously if there is hyd fluid dripping from the bottom of the clutch housing then the slave cylinder or pipes to it may well be the culprit, and that will almost certainly require g/box removal Rolling Eyes If you just need to bleed the system near the slave cylinder,then I would have thought (going by other cars with a similar set up) that the bleed point would be external to the clutch housing (ie accessible), but not 100% sure, as mine is an auto, and LR are not famous for making things easy Whistle HTH. Thumbs Up

Post #94783028th Jun 2012 1:02 am
vee8ight

Unfortunately there is not much sign of leakage from the master cylinder and until I get my V8 lightweight off the lift I won't get a good look underneath. Wish I'd bought an auto Big Cry

Post #94802028th Jun 2012 4:23 pm
vee8ight

Thanks DN,

It appears the master cylinder was sticking. I decided to bleed the system with no success initially, wasted half a litre of fluid and lost the clutch altogether. The LR manual method of bleeding (using a bottle and hose) was useless. After a couple of days pulling my hair out - the Disco now immobilised in front of my workshop door, a pal who works as a mechanic for the Forestry Commission came up with a fix. Pumping the pedal rapidly about 50 times produced a small amount of pressure at the bottom of the travel - hold it down, release the bleed screw, tighten it up and repeat. After a while we got the pedal up to its original height. It appears that this is a standard performance with Transits, but I have heard people suggesting pressure bleeding, back bleeding and even gravity bleeding as a cure. Mad
The squeak had also come back Shocked Took the boot off the master cylinder and squirted some WD 40 in, worked the pedal, squeak gone Thumbs Up Wonder how long it will last Confused

Post #95993228th Jul 2012 2:04 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for sharing, did you locate the leak, or how did the brake fluid dissapear?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #96007028th Jul 2012 9:11 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Bit of info on the clutch / brake reservoir.

The 'full' mark on the reservoir is BELOW the level at which the clutch reservoir fills. This had me beet for an hour or so when I bled the clutch circuit. Obviously an oversight by LR but once remembered I shan't be making that mistake again! Don't know if newer models are still like this (mine is 55 plate). Also when I had found this problem bleeding the system still took dozens of pedal presses to get the correct feeling back.

As for the squeak I too had this when I first got the car. In my case it was the spring that helps the pedal return to the top. It is a compressed spring sat within some nylon mountings that required a little exra grease. Noise has been gone for 3years or more.

Iain

Post #9615802nd Aug 2012 10:17 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for sharing Ian, I will check on my09, did you fill the clutch reservoir seperatly to solve the issue? The difference in level would not help when renewing brake fluid for the brakes? I need to do the advised 3 year brake fluide renewl, any pointers planning to use faultmate to bleed the system, should i renew the cluch fluid aswell?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #9616092nd Aug 2012 11:25 am
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

This post has been edited by the site administration team

First question - No, I just made sure I had the reservoir topped right up to the lid whilst bleeding. I initially had the reservoir up to max indicator and couldn't bleed the clutch. After inspection I pulled out the clutch master cylinder feed line from the reservoir and couldn't get a drop of fluid out of it until the reservoir was 'overfilled'. I was so annoyed as I had previously removed and stripped the master cylinder trying to find the cause. Getting this kind of problem when you've just finished the PITA job of renewing the clutch doesn't put you in a good mood Censored .

Final question - I would advise bleeding both together but is down to preference. The amount of clutch fluid that could come back and mix with the brake circuit is minimal.

Post #9618842nd Aug 2012 10:47 pm
vee8ight

HI D4JWW,

Sorry for delay replying, been on manouevres Smile . Didn't find a leak, although if the slave is leaking into the bellhousing it may take some time to show up. What has been said in the meantime about the relative levels in the master cylinder explains why the clutch started to disappear, and I can understand that if the slave cylinder had to move further it would take more fluid from the master cylinder, but now watching level in that corner of the reservoir closely Mad
Left the vehicle for a fortnight while away and was OK on return. However I will not be surprised if the problem recurs Evil or Very Mad

Post #96439610th Aug 2012 11:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >