DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Condensation in headlight unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Condensation in headlight unit

Dear Gang,

I just took delivery of a 2007 HSE LR3 (V8) and I love it. I have just one question for the group (at least at this point):

-I received it with some condensation on the inside of the plastic lens that protects all lights. It is in both light units and the service manager at the dealership that I purchased it from told me that this is because they had just washed it in the prep area and that it would go away. He says that the 2007 models no longer have one big sealed headlight unit but simply have a plastic cover that isn't sealed as well.

Anybody know if this is true? Anybody else with condensation on the inside of the clear acrylic (?) cover (toward the bottom)? If so, did it clear?

TIA,
Mark D

Post #11272623rd Dec 2006 2:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Re: 2007 Disco 3 HSE with condensation in headlight unit

Unnecessary quote removed

My vehicle was delivered the same way, and I asked the same question. The condensation has disappeared, but will probably come back with rain carwashes etc. I noticed my BMW does this as well. It's 5 years old, and I haven't had any problems with it.
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #11273223rd Dec 2006 4:30 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine was very wet with water in the housing on delivery, they changed mine when I complained. The other had a small amount of codensation.
I think it has to do with the humidity level on manufacture and air pressure changes.
I removed the rubber sealed cap and left the lights on for 5 mins, switched off the lights and replaced the cap. No problems since. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11273423rd Dec 2006 5:36 am
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Condensation in the headlights, Xenons at least, seems to be inherent in the design and is a subject well documented in this forum. If only misting up of the lower, silver section below the swiveling beam its not regarded by LR as a fault; however water collection is. My 2005 misted up in the right climatic conditions and I have noted it happening in my new 2007. I think it's an unavoidable situation unless they went over to hermetically sealed units, simply because the design/style of the unit features an area that is both cooler and relatively confined. Thus when humid air heats up and it is exposed to a chilled unventilated surface that area mists.
I have accepted it and don't think it's a real problem. As has been said leave the back caps off on a low humidity day or forget about it.
I will see if the 2007 is any better as I read somewhere that they have improved the venting, but as I said it still occurs.

Post #11274123rd Dec 2006 8:28 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mine does it too but only the lower silvered areas, not the actual light lenses
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #11274723rd Dec 2006 9:09 am
DiscoStu

England 

Technical Service Bulletin No.LA417-002V3 15 February 2005

This bulletin supersedes TSB LA417-002V2/2005 dated 17 January, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page).

Subject/Concern : Discovery 3/LR3 - Headlamp Internal Condensation

Models : Discovery 3 / LR3 Markets : All

Summary :
This bulletin provides information on standards relating to acceptable/unacceptable levels of condensation that may occur in Discovery 3/LR3 headlamps.

This bulletin has been re-issued for revised part numbers.

Cause : The misting is generally caused by natural condensation and can be expected under certain atmospheric conditions. Certain levels of condensation are deemed acceptable by Land Rover.
NOTE : Incorrect replacement of bulb-covers following bulb replacement can lead to condensation forming. Ensure bulb-covers are correctly installed. If this is determined to be the cause of the condensation, measures should be taken to dry out the lamps and to ensure that the bulb-covers are installed correctly. Condensation levels should be monitored to allow natural dissipation of the condensation.

Action : Should a customer express concern relating to the above, this bulletin has been issued to assist service personnel in providing a detailed explanation relating to Land Rover's standards on this subject.

Service Procedure
Normal condensation is a natural process. Discovery 3/LR3 headlamps are vented to alleviate changes in pressure through a sophisticated Gore-Tex vent. Atmospheric air contains water vapor referred to as humidity. When this air enters the headlamp under any circumstance, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is cold enough. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the inside surface of the plastic lens. The thin mist will clear and exit through the vents during normal operation.

During a period of normal headlamp operation the condensation should dissipate as the lamp heats up.

However, if considerable water droplets still remain on the inside of the headlamp glass (refer to attached illustrations), the lamp should be renewed. If there is evidence of standing water within the headlamp unit, the unit will also need to be renewed. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 417-01, Exterior Lighting - Headlamp Assembly (86.40.49).

NOTE : Headlamps with light misting should not be renewed under warranty. Please refer step 1 and step 2 for clarification of headlamp renewal which will be covered under warranty.

1 . For headlamp renewal covered by warranty please refer to the following attached illustrations:
1 . Large apparent visible droplets of water on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58385
2 . Drip marks/streaks in the film of condensation on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58386
3 . Thick mist covering a majority of the interior side of the clear plastic lens. The thick mist also obstructs the view of the interior of the lamp.
Refer to attached illustration E58387
4 . Puddles/pools of water in the interior of the headlamp.

2 . For headlamp renewal NOT covered by warranty please refer to the following attached illustrations:
1 . No drip marks/streaks in the finely condensed film on the interior side of the clear plastic lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58388
2 . There are no visible water droplets in the thin mist.
Refer to attached illustration E58389
3 . The fine mist does not obstruct the view of the interior of the lamp.
Refer to attached illustration E58390
4 . Condensation covers less than 50% of the interior side of the lens.
Refer to attached illustration E58391
5 . Headlamps with no visible condensation.

Attached Illustration - E58385
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 1 (Large water droplets)

Attached Illustration - E58386
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 2 (Drip marks/streaks in condensation)

Attached Illustration - E58387
Headlamp Condensation Covered by Warranty - 3 (Thick mist covering the lens with water droplets)

Attached Illustration - E58388
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 1

Attached Illustration - E58389
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 2

Attached Illustration - E58390
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 3 (Mist does not obstruct the view of the lamp's interior)

Attached Illustration - E58391
Headlamp Condensation NOT Covered by Warranty - 4 (Fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens)
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #11275323rd Dec 2006 9:25 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Mine did it for the first week or so following delivery, never happened since despite jet-washing, deep wading etc etc. I put it down to the temp/humidity etc of the storage facility pre-delivery.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #11276123rd Dec 2006 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Thank ya'll for the responses.

So..... I guess I should just give it some time to go away? If I remove the acrylic cover and wipe out the condensation it sounds like it can still occur again, right?

Mark

Post #11277923rd Dec 2006 3:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You cannot detach the outer lens without breaking some plastic weld points ..I would not recommend this....however I think it's a slight misconception that these units are completely airtight. Wink

Having had half a unit full of water after a summer storm on the M6..I took the unit out of the motor... took all of the lamps(including the xenon) out. After draining all the water from the unit via the lamp holes .... I then positioned the wifes hairdryer about 12inches from the unit, put it on full blast on a warm air setting, directing the airfow into the unit....after about 45 minutes all traces of water had evaporated from the unit.

I haven't had any trouble since Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11278223rd Dec 2006 5:06 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The cap to the rear of the lights is large so you should have no touble directing a hair dryer in there in situ. Try with the cap off and lights on first and see if that gets rid of it.
As others have said they have had no trouble since so it is unlikely to occure again. It should be dry out each time the lights are on. You could put some silicone grease on the rubber seal to the light if you are concerned it is leaking.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11288724th Dec 2006 12:36 am
zagonda

United Kingdom 
condensation in headlight

My headlights became misty, so I took it down to the dealer who then put some gel packs in the headlights, been fine since.

Spoke to soon, misted up again !!

Post #43990217th Mar 2009 10:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >