Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Alternator Replacement Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Shooterneil

England 

Changed mine today now it won't start turns over as normal but that's all it dose

Post #102303321st Dec 2012 9:57 pm
Ezz

I followed this a few days ago, must agree the 10mm spanner as a brace defo didn't work for me, I made a brace, cut a flat length of bar down to 535mm and wedged it between 1 of the bolts and the cross member that the steering rack bolts to then wacked the 36mm spanner Whistle

Post #102314922nd Dec 2012 11:41 am
totalal

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wife arrived home Sunday afternoon with the news that the battery light came on about 2 mile ago. Oh no I think, MOT is booked for Friday this week. Checked the forum found this superb post. Searched for "alternator" posts and read a few more, all the snippets of info picked up and compiled together give a comprehensive guide to sorting this problem out.
Armed with a meter I checked the battery, 12.7 volts, not too bad so far then. Started up, checked charging voltage, could get no more than 13.6 volts at any revs. More forum reading and PM sent to "The Large One" regarding a new alternator.
PM replied to and alternator ordered on Monday morning.
Monday evening removed covers and fan. Alternator arrived today,(many thanks "The Large One" Thumbs Up) Fitted this evening following this guide, letting the car go to sleep before disconnecting the battery. My original alternator was a YLE500200, the new one a YLE500400, the other number was the same. The socket on the back of the new alternator was the other way up, but the lead fitted OK. Refitted all removed parts, connected battery and started up. Battery light stayed on for what seemed like an age, but was probably about 10 seconds, then went out. Checked with meter, voltage at tickover 15.39. Very Happy
Only had to reset the clock on the radio everything else OK. trip was back to 0 as was MPG, no worries there though. Test drive everything fine, hope the MOT goes as well now.
Al
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS  
Post #103575515th Jan 2013 11:45 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The part number for a re-con alternator is LR008861, but the alternastor inside the box is actually a YLE500400, which is the part number for a brand new alternator.

Had you ordered a YLE500400, you would have paid an extra £100 or so Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #103580016th Jan 2013 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrePB

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

BIG THANKS TO "METHLEY".
You took the time out to consider fellow DISCO enthusiasts and produced a great step by step which allowed me to have my alternator out in less than 25mins, even though I was not trying to set a record. Also thanks to Robbie for the advice, it really helped !

Couple of things I've learnt from this event.......there are many folk out there that care for fellow Landy owners and really go out of their way to help.....that alternators sometimes die slowly ( previously I thought that they either worked or didn't ) )......that even "made in Japan" is no guarantee of reliability ( alternator is made there )

Keep up the good work .....DISCO3 members are the greatest...

Post #103601316th Jan 2013 3:16 pm
totalal

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
The part number for a re-con alternator is LR008861, but the alternastor inside the box is actually a YLE500400, which is the part number for a brand new alternator.

Had you ordered a YLE500400, you would have paid an extra £100 or so Thumbs Up

Woohoo! makes the job even sweeter Thumbs Up

Got to agree with AndrePB, great people on this forum. Smile Thumbs Up
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS  
Post #103612916th Jan 2013 6:58 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

AndrePB wrote:
BIG THANKS TO "METHLEY".
You took the time out to consider fellow DISCO enthusiasts and produced a great step by step which allowed me to have my alternator out in less than 25mins, even though I was not trying to set a record. Also thanks to Robbie for the advice, it really helped !

Couple of things I've learnt from this event.......there are many folk out there that care for fellow Landy owners and really go out of their way to help.....that alternators sometimes die slowly ( previously I thought that they either worked or didn't ) )......that even "made in Japan" is no guarantee of reliability ( alternator is made there )

Keep up the good work .....DISCO3 members are the greatest...

Not sure what I did but thank-you. The forum membership is outstanding and without it I am sure that I would not have enjoyed owning my D3 as much as I do. Like many on the forum I just try and invest as much into the forum as I have got out of it over the last 7 years or so.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #103613916th Jan 2013 7:18 pm
philburt

great instructions

Did this today, took a couple of hours (including going out to get a new belt). Great instructions, thanks.

Post #107276816th Mar 2013 10:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

looks like i'll be using this this morning. Ready to go to Oxford and engine very slow to start. Checked voltages and 11.5v. Stpopped car and restarted with aux battery jumped over and it started OK. Then disconnected jump and voltage showing 11.5v revs up and it goes down to 10.5. 10.4, 10.3 satnav now off, so i reverse to a more convenient position on the drive and switch her off. Batteyr voltage now showing 9.5, 9.3, 9.0 quick, diconnect of the battery before it takes it with it!

Local stockists have one in for about £290, so a buddy is collecting it now for me....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #107832926th Mar 2013 12:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bodsy let me know if you need it fitting they can only fit one way... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #107833926th Mar 2013 12:39 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Lol I think i can just about manage this one Thumbs Up

Got the old one out, would have been quicker if a) when they swapped the engines over, they'd have used a torque wrench instead of frig tight on the bolts b) if they hadn't have broken the connector on the alternator and bodged it with a tie wrap! Grrrr!!

Just waiting for replacement to arrive Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #107835626th Mar 2013 1:11 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

45minutes in the snow and ice underfoot to remove and about 25 minutes to put back on, very straight forward.

I also had yle500400 inside my box marked LR008861 Thumbs Up
Started up, 14.5v no problem.
Job done.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #107840926th Mar 2013 3:25 pm
bmurphy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

thanks for the guide, yet more invaluable assistance from the club to resolve yet another problem with my D3. however my fan wouldn't budge either and with the lack of any proper fan removal tool I improvised and managed to bolt a piece of spare flat iron with two holes drilled in it between the fan pulley bolt and the top tensioner bolt. Once held in place, it's solid as a rock and a couple of taps on the 36mm spanner and off it popped.

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Post #107964328th Mar 2013 7:21 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Here you go, bit expensive but saves a hell of a lot of bruised and rapped knuckles. Very Happy http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...fan+holder
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #107976228th Mar 2013 10:19 pm
martynp_uk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

This forum is amazing, so glad to be a member!

My alternator just died and thanks to these instructions I could diagnose and change it in under 2 hours.

Thank you ever so much guys Smile

Post #111054830th May 2013 2:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >