Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - AMK Suspension Compressor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 15 <123 ... 101112 131415>
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Second AMK in 2 years!

Well after just under 2 years I've had my second AMK fitted to the car. The guys who fitted it said it probably failed as the previous one was fitted without a top cover! (always sounded noisy but now I know why!)

I needed it working in a hurry so opted for a new one from Duckworths, ordered at 3 pm yesterday (Friday) from the Boston branch, delivered by Martin on his way home (Top Man! Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up Thumbs Up ) Fitted by the Phil at Old forge Garage at Leadenham this morning (Always entertaining to see whats in their Shed! Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up Thumbs Up )

Stripped the dead unit to discover the Silica was like pale coffee granules and shrivelled up so going to chuck some new in there and test it, could be a handy spare.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #147485316th May 2015 11:17 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Firsty thanks for an awesome how to! I had tried a refurb kit for the hitachi but didn't work out. I think the increased pressure after putting the new piston ring on forced a failure in the join between the dryer and the compressor. Anyways, got my new AMK fitted and very happy except for one thing. When I was fitting one of the pipes (the one that goes into the side of the compressor, the angle joint fell off! Surely this isn't supposed to be detachable. I tried to just push it back in but it kept falling out. Can't tell if it has snapped off or was glued before. I have glued it back on for now (super glue) and will chat to the supplier tomorrow but wondered if any of you had similar problems.

Click image to enlarge

Also can anyone confirm definitively which pipe I am supposed to put the brass insert into? Read the whole thread and seems to be several takes on this. Is it the new long thin pipe (that replaced the one that went into the dryer) that goes into the compressor that needs the insert at the compressor end? And which way around? Scratch that last question. Just looked at the LR bulletin and it looks like you only need the brass insert if you choose to shorten the thinner of the two pipes at the back of the compressor.

Thanks

Post #151740418th Aug 2015 10:55 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

For anyone interested, the supplier are sending out a new unit so I can swap out the compressor. Mine is apparently not the first one to fail in this way. The parts shown in my earlier photo are definitely supposed to be permanently connected but allow rotary movement.

Also thought I would mention that mine too seems noisier than the old one. When I swap out the compressor tomorrow, I'll make sure the top of the box is tucked away behind the valve block bracket (as shown in the technical bulletin) and not tighten the centre bolt of the box bottom too tightly (as mentioned by someone else earlier). I'll feed back if they help reduce the noise.

Post #151814620th Aug 2015 10:46 pm
neilbriggers

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great write up thanks. I've just bought a new compressor for mine, and the kit came with the 3 captive nuts for the chassis. Just a pity I'd already ordered three new nuts as well! Big Cry

Post #157927617th Dec 2015 6:32 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ok. My AMK has been fitted for a couple of years now. Has anyone else had problems with it yet? The other night, I got the warning, suspension raising slowly. With the Hitachi compressor, this is often attributed to the dryer becoming clogged. Does the AMK compressor have a dryer and does it need servicing like the Hitachi compressor did?
I did check live values with the IID and it showed the compressor temperature rising very fast, like it wasn't able to pump the air into the main gallery, indicating an obstruction, possibly the dryer, if it has one.
Your greater wisdom on this would be helpful.
Cheers.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #160226331st Jan 2016 11:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have 2 faulty AMK compressors that were Destined for eBay. I may strip one down tomorrow now...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #160231031st Jan 2016 12:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

Nodge68 wrote:
Ok. My AMK has been fitted for a couple of years now. Has anyone else had problems with it yet? The other night, I got the warning, suspension raising slowly. With the Hitachi compressor, this is often attributed to the dryer becoming clogged. Does the AMK compressor have a dryer and does it need servicing like the Hitachi compressor did?
I did check live values with the IID and it showed the compressor temperature rising very fast, like it wasn't able to pump the air into the main gallery, indicating an obstruction, possibly the dryer, if it has one.
Your greater wisdom on this would be helpful.
Cheers.

Actually I answered my own question. Yes it does have a dryer and no, mine wasn't all clogged up. I did take it off and put the beads in the oven for 1/2 an hour just to make sure. Getting the dryer off is a bit of a fiddle and the screws are made of cheese, in typical LR style.
I actually didn't know I had an AMK until I'd got the cover off. The job was done by LR just before I bought the car. I'm sure what when I checked the software with the IID, it showed Hitachi software. However that software check was done when I first got my IID, 18 months ago. Today I loaded AMK software, so I'll see how it goes. The car doesn't loose hight or seem to loose pressure from the tank, so I don't understand why the compressor got hot enough to shut down. However the car has been unused for about a month so maybe the tank had lost pressure.
Who knows. It's a Land Rover after all!
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #160239831st Jan 2016 3:08 pm
Nodge68

Disco_Mikey wrote:
I have 2 faulty AMK compressors that were Destined for eBay. I may strip one down tomorrow now...

That doesn't bode well for a supposedly improved design DM Big Cry
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #160239931st Jan 2016 3:10 pm
Disco_Mikey

It should be noted, that of those compressors, they were both on Hitachi firmware...

My AMK was fitted Oct 2012, and has done 70k miles since fitting between its previous owner and myself, and had the correct firmware from day 1, with no issues (other than the recently discovered leaky air tank) Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #160248931st Jan 2016 5:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeroCreativity

Hello,

my Hitachi compressor was swapped for the new AMK and the software was updated, but it often threw the "pressure not decreasing when venting the gallery" fault. Mechanic said it was a faulty compressor, warranty covered it and the new one has the exact same issue so it is obviously not the compressor.

It DOES vent on a rather random basis (fault absolutely clears IF I turn it on with the door open)...
Anyhow, today I checked the fuse box and discovered that the Fuseable link FL10 that is supposed to be a 60 amp yellow fuse, is instead a red 50 amp.

Was this supposed to be switched with the AMK or is my mechanic stupid and swapped the 60 amp for a 50 amp ?
Should I get a 60 amp right away???

Also should you fancy helping or reading more about this issue, heres a thread that's been going on for over a month: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27687

Many thanks

Post #16030591st Feb 2016 6:25 pm
Disco_Mikey

What year is the car in question?
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #16030631st Feb 2016 6:29 pm
ZeroCreativity

it is a V8 HSE 2005

Post #16030731st Feb 2016 6:38 pm
ZeroCreativity

never mind I bought the 60 amp fuse... fault persists. The compressor is barely 2 months old.
Fault reads

Post #16042463rd Feb 2016 8:52 pm
Disco_Mikey

Most likely a wiring issue in the NSF (UK) wheel arch

That, or a faulty compressor...

The incorrect firmware will also cause an exhaust fault to be logged, but it would have been apparent almost instantly
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #16042473rd Feb 2016 8:55 pm
ZeroCreativity

unlikely to be a faulty compressor as this is the second AMK in less than 4 months.
My indy said the first one was a lemon, I changed it and seller said the compressor was fine but still helped me and changed it under warranty. Then this one throws in the exact same fault?

I will check the wiring because what are the odds of getting 2 faulty compressors back-to-back with the exact same fault ? It could be firmware as well... It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the firmware used by my indy is dodgy

my D3 is NAS, is that wiring supposed to remain on the UK NSF, that would be my driver side?

Many thanks Disco_Mikey

Post #16042593rd Feb 2016 9:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 15 <123 ... 101112 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >