Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - AMK Suspension Compressor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think somethings not quite right there from the sound of it - mine have been pretty much silent when lowering
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #180588220th Apr 2017 5:49 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Had another check this morning, all pipes seem to be inserted ok, and no bubbles from soapy water on the connections >.< Will have to wait till it's next in and have someone check it, all seems to work fine apart form the noise when lowering/self levelling.

Post #180694723rd Apr 2017 11:01 am
Chris2

United Kingdom 

I installed the AMK with relative ease but got to the final turn on a nut attached to what can be described as an elbow joint. I noted another person on this thread had the same issue but got it replaced. However I could see when it came off it just looked glued so I have super glued it back on and it is working. Does anyone know if this is going to be strong enough?

Any advice appreciated.

Post #183205429th Jun 2017 9:15 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Chris2, It was me that had the same issue a few pages back in this thread. I would say ask for a replacement. They admitted to me at the time that they had other similar failures and thus the offer to replace it. Superglue may well work for a while but if it comes off again later on, you are less likely to get a replacement from the supplier. I imagine the joint will be under some kind of pressure or back pressure when operating so will be a matter of time before it gives away again. Also I realised that the outer elbow joint is supposed to have some movement there which when superglued, probably wouldn't be possible.

I know you probably don't want to go through removing it and installing another one again but if you want peace of mind it is worth just getting it replaced now.

G

Post #183206629th Jun 2017 9:46 pm
da Cali

Norway 

what's happened with the pictures in post nr. 1??

Post #184690513th Aug 2017 3:40 pm
DoubleDisco

New Zealand 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Quote:
what's happened with the pictures in post nr. 1??

I think this is due to Photobucket starting to charge a large some of money to link directly to photos on its servers from external sites.

Google Photobucket Ransom to find out more.

After a bit off googling I found a chrome extension that seems to replace the images when viewing a page.

Extension is called "Photobucket embed fix" by kzahelg.
*Note I am not endorsing or recommending this extension just sharing something that worked for me.

Anyway....

I've screen shot the images and created a PDF of Disco_Mikeys first post in this thread and saved it to my gallery:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use..._Mikey.pdf

Hope this is ok with Disco_Mikey and is of some use to others.

My AMK compressor arrived yesterday so when I find time over over the next few works I shall be using this guide to install it.

Cheers

Adam

Post #185216329th Aug 2017 8:55 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nicely done doubledisco Thumbs Up

Post #185216829th Aug 2017 9:06 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed. Will save me hours and hours of reuploading pictures for all the how to's Bow down
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #185217629th Aug 2017 9:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

Mike
TOP CLASS write up..

BOTH of the Discos have failed Suspension now Big Cry (My one went yesterday.. the Compressor kept running than I got the 'Overheat warning.. now I heat the pump.. and a hissing noise.. SO I assume the compressor has overheated and melted the pipes?)

So I have a an AMK Bare pump to fit to one of them. Mr G_Cams will be first...
The AMK came with no pipes or connectors. I do see some 'Pipe Kits' on Ebay etc.. The question is .. are these actually what I'm after?

like this.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Disco...Sw~yNZ5Jqw

OR

Can you make your own???
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #18857972nd Dec 2017 2:12 pm
Paddington

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the how to on the amk compressor Thumbs Up
Had a good read yesterday while waiting for the new compressor to turn up.
All fitted now .

Previous cars
Discovery 200 tdi
Discovery 300 tdi
Discovery td5 

Post #18859122nd Dec 2017 8:13 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

Anyone got any idea why I cant get the Fault codes to clear after replacing the AMK? (using iid)

It still keeps coming up with suspension fault.
I replaced the Relay and the 20a fuse as well as the compressor

Thanks All
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #18875627th Dec 2017 10:00 am
Steve916

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

What are the codes?

Post #18876567th Dec 2017 3:36 pm
thartek

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

This write-up was super helpful, and the Technical Bulletins too. I've just used them to swap my Hitachi for the AMK, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the upper cover lined up...

Does it even line up properly at all? I'm trying to route the main wire loom up over the top of the box, while the T (with the two connectors for the compressor plus the pressure sensor) comes off into the front tip of the cover along with the reservoir and front air lines. I can't quite get the inner liner tucked in between the bracket without flexing the cover significantly...

I have an '08 LR3 with the rear A/C so I'm sure I have some lines running through near this... And it looks like there's a drain for the A/C that drains onto the cover...

I'd love any help, tips, or advice on this! Thanks, everyone.

And for those yet to complete this, the little brass insert... I wish I had my heat gun, but I was able to defeat the near freezing temperatures with a bit of soapy water, a phillips screwdriver to "flare" the end a bit, and a lot of rocking and pushing while pinning the hose to the control arm mount.

Another quick tip I learned... slotting the top hole in the mounting bracket makes it MUCH easier to install the top bolt. I angled the slot upwards toward the hole so it won't slide out. Thread the bolt in a bit, slide the bracket over it, and then a ratcheting box end wrench. It works with both the Hitachi bracket and the AMK brackets. The hitachi bracket is easier to cut with a hacksaw (and also easier to break if you smack it on a rock or jack), but the bolts are way easier to get to on the AMK!

Post #191661720th Feb 2018 1:42 am
Reddahaydn

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Few extra tips

Hi Guys,
A few extra tips from doing mine this morning.
I used this thread and the TSB , between them I worked it out.
https://rimmerbros.com/ItemFiles/Manuals/LTB00420.pdf

1. The larger tube towards the rear doesn't need to be cut. It's already got the brass sleeve bit inside it.
2. cut the smaller tube towards the rear just above the bend, sit in a mug of boiling water for 60 seconds, then insert the brass sleeve. If you cut it on the flat part, when you push in the new hose it will push the whole hose up and it may rub on something.
3. Install the pipe that goes over the compressor before mounting the compressor on the chassis.
4. I cut a slot in the mounting plate for the top bolt (i did this on my hitachi one as well). This allows you to screw the bolt most of the way in, and it also helps take the weight of the bracket and compressor while you get one of the bottom bolts in.
5. You can easily pull the valve block off the chassis. push up and pull hard. This will give you more room, especially for getting that upper bolt undone to get the old compressor out.
6. The upper cover doesn't line up real well, you could reroute the electrical cables that come in the top slightly towards the front if you could be bothered, but i managed to get it to go in without doing that. There wasn't enough length in the open ended hose to relocate that as well (that I can only assume is some kind of cooling hose maybe?)

Mine worked no issues without the software update, got a light the first time round as it was trying to fill the tank, but no lights since.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
 2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6
LLAMS / 265/65/18 BFG ATs / Safari Snorkel / Spare wheel carrier / 100L Long range tank / Traxide SC40 dual battery isolator / Optima Yellow Top / Autologic Remap / Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack / Cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads / Front Runner drawers / UHF / Rasta front skid plate / Waeco CF50 / Mitch Hitch / Tint / Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth Phone & Audio 

Post #19335795th Apr 2018 4:11 am
Reddahaydn

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

thartek wrote:

Another quick tip I learned... slotting the top hole in the mounting bracket makes it MUCH easier to install the top bolt. I angled the slot upwards toward the hole so it won't slide out. Thread the bolt in a bit, slide the bracket over it, and then a ratcheting box end wrench. It works with both the Hitachi bracket and the AMK brackets. The hitachi bracket is easier to cut with a hacksaw (and also easier to break if you smack it on a rock or jack), but the bolts are way easier to get to on the AMK!

Well Censored me! Great minds think alike!!! and here i was thinking I was the first to slot the top hole And it's literally the post before mine that someone has done it!! (I only read the first 2-3 pages before I went and did it).
 2007 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6
LLAMS / 265/65/18 BFG ATs / Safari Snorkel / Spare wheel carrier / 100L Long range tank / Traxide SC40 dual battery isolator / Optima Yellow Top / Autologic Remap / Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack / Cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads / Front Runner drawers / UHF / Rasta front skid plate / Waeco CF50 / Mitch Hitch / Tint / Parrot MKi9200 Bluetooth Phone & Audio 

Post #19335805th Apr 2018 4:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >