Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

faultmate fcr vs IID tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

On this forum we are mainly known only for our Faultmate FCR basic Fault code reader and full on MSV-2 hardware based products, however we do also produce another product that many on this board will have never even heard of and is actually significantly more in demand than either the FCR or MSV-2.

It is called the Nanocom Evolution and we have sold literally thousands of them to customers who have been nothing but impressed and delighted.

As you can tell from the 15 way D connector and DC jack, it is really quite small and thin, and like all our products is encased in an ally extrusion that gives it the feel of quality our products are well renowned for.

The screen is a full color 4 inch TFT with a touch screen overlay that makes using it a true delight.

Have a look at this Video to see this in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRG9aPJ1j4U...mp;index=6

Although like the FCR and IID the Nanocom Evolution is micro controller based which would usually limit what it can do, However the Nanocom Evolution actually uses no less than 3 interconnected Micro controllers to not run the code but to emulates PC like capability that runs code of other much larger and more expandable storage devices.

It has Ram and Flash chips that give it Megabytes of storage for it's programs and it even supports SD cards via a slot on the other side that uniquely also allows it to re flash ECU's. It even supports direct USB connectivity for upgrading etc.

And yes it natively supports CAN BUS as the Puma is amongst the models it currently covers.

Given that their is a clear demand for something between the FCR and MSV-2, we have of course been developing coverage for all CAN bus based vehicles on the Nanocom Evolution platform which will at least include FULL CCF editing and hopefully also flashing capabilities.

I cannot give exact costing, capability or time scales at this point in time, but i can tell you that this is what we do for a living, we have done it for many years, even before most members of this board even knew our name, we certainly know what we are doing, what our equipment needs to do and what it needs to cost.

Post #103304411th Jan 2013 6:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

^^^^^Now i do like the sound of that,eagerly awaiting more info on pricing and anticipated release dates Very Happy

Post #103305011th Jan 2013 6:59 pm
geoff.

England 

i have used the Nanocom Evolution and must add i couldn't fault it, its a real neat bit of kit Thumbs Up

although i used it on a D2 i can see where your going colin, must add in the nicest way its about time Whistle well done mucker speak to you soon

ATB

Post #103306211th Jan 2013 7:16 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Cheers Down&Dirty & Geoff

Yea Geoff the Evolution is quite an amazing bit of kit, but so is our on line Genesis capability.

As you and others may well see for themselves we have always had all the teeth we have ever needed.

I guess it is now becoming time to use them.

ATB Mucker

Colin

Post #103308411th Jan 2013 7:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gargamel

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Read this topic with interest Smile
I'm looking around for a unit to be used on my 2009 D3.
IID tool and upcomming nanocom for the D3 sounds good. But how does the MSV2-extreme fit into this picture as a stand alone unit ??
It has a display, and what are the capabilities of the extreme in stand-alone mode ?? Is it comparable with a FCR ??? Or doou also have some ccf capabilities atand allone ??
That could make it interesting to start with the MSV2-extreme in stand alone mode; and maybe later purchase the software to make it a full-spec kit icm with a laptop.

Anybody experience with this unit as "stand alone" ??

Post #103549615th Jan 2013 6:53 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just as I thought I had made up my mind to go for the IID tool another one comes along!
I liked the portability of the IID tool but wasn't too keen on using the dash display and cruise buttons - although I may have been surprised.
Like the look of this new unit from BBS will hang on to see developments before I jump in and buy.
Obviously being a Yorkshireman, cost will also be a factor Whistle

Post #103552815th Jan 2013 7:46 pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Having come to a D3 from a Defender (Puma) I also can vouch for the Nanocom Evolution being a very useful and easy to use piece of kit, have also used it on D2s to good effect.
I was thinking of selling it on the Defender2 forum, but if D3 capability is coming in the reasonably near future then I'm keeping it. Smile
Colin, if you need someone who is mad/brave enough to be a beta tester then PM me as I am willing...

Post #103553415th Jan 2013 7:53 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

Hi Colin,
BBS SPY wrote:
which will at least include FULL CCF editing

Well, you will always be ahead of us there. For instance, we will never include CCF options for the econometer

- especially in the M-motorsports econometer as the Faultmate has for the L322 RR. Razz

Just kidding.

I really don't think that this town is not big enough for the both of us. And a little competition will benefit all in the long run.

And to stoke the competition... wait till you see our new displays. Laughing

Cheers,
Steve

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Last edited by SteveMfr on 15th Jan 2013 10:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #103565315th Jan 2013 9:58 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

As a discerning consumer, this is great!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #103566215th Jan 2013 10:07 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

geoff. wrote:
i have used the Nanocom Evolution and must add i couldn't fault it, its a real neat bit of kit Thumbs Up

Have also used it on on D2, and the only thing I could not find was the alarm trigger history (unless I was looking in the wrong place) Other than that, it does eveything you could ever want it to do with a D2 Thumbs Up

Fifth Horseman wrote:
Having come to a D3 from a Defender (Puma) I also can vouch for the Nanocom Evolution being a very useful and easy to use piece of kit, have also used it on D2s to good effect.
I was thinking of selling it on the Defender2 forum, but if D3 capability is coming in the reasonably near future then I'm keeping it. Smile
Colin, if you need someone who is mad/brave enough to be a beta tester then PM me as I am willing...

I will 2nd that, on all counts (apart from the Defender to Disco3 Embarassed ) Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #103579916th Jan 2013 7:35 am
Andyred90

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Which company offers the best forum deal as clearly both are very good pieces of kit.

Post #103897220th Jan 2013 9:41 pm
landroverer

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

But my cruise control doesn't work, the audio button work ok though. So is it still possible to navigate the menus?
 Landroverer
Series III 88inch diesel 3 years
110 Turbo Diesel 14 years
Discovery 2 v8 xs 3 years
LandRoverless 1 year
Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 now (LandRoverer again!) 

Post #103936221st Jan 2013 4:04 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

Hi Landroverer,
No, the audio buttons are nice but they have no bearing on the IIDTool. Razz You generally should have functioning CC switchgear to use the IIDTool properly.
You can use the IIDTool to troubleshoot your CC too, tho. The IIDTool has an LED in its case and once the IIDTool is plugged into the OBD port, this flashes several time to confirm connectivity. It the remains off unless one of the 4 CC switches used to control it is pressed. The LED stays lit as long as the switch is depressed. If your CC does not work due to an issue other than the switchgear, operation of the IIDTool will not be affected.

Andyred,
We can not provide a forum discount as Britpart does all distribution for us. I did hear that a group buy had been arranged in some forum and from some dealer - but unfortunately I have no details.
There are a couple pf online dealers selling at prices I think are amazing. I can't imagine you can do much better, but trying doesn't hurt. Googling 'IIDTool + price' will take you right there...

cheers,
Steve

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #103938421st Jan 2013 4:40 pm
landroverer

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for that Steve, I just thought that working audio buttons indicated a good connection between the steering wheel controls and the rest of the car, my mistake. Embarassed

Do you happen to know of anyway of testing the cc controls in situ.? I'm interested in the IID tool but a bit worried that I might not be able to control it.

Regards

Andrew
 Landroverer
Series III 88inch diesel 3 years
110 Turbo Diesel 14 years
Discovery 2 v8 xs 3 years
LandRoverless 1 year
Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 now (LandRoverer again!) 

Post #103941921st Jan 2013 5:38 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

Hi Andrew,
You can test the CC switchgear with a diagnostic system that shows live values Rolling Eyes

If you purchase an IIDTool and it does not work out for you, we will make sure you receive a full refund. But if the problem is just the switchgear, replacing would be an option as well. The IIDTool will show non functioning switches as the LED will not light.

cheers,
Steve

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #103942121st Jan 2013 5:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >