Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Unaccounted DSC and brake warning light showings.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Unaccounted DSC and brake warning light showings.

Right, 2005 HSE 2.7 Auto.
Went to the Malvern 4x4 spares day the other Sunday, had a great time spending not too much money!
Just approaching home, Cardiff, and the brake warning light flashed on!
I also thought I saw the DSC light flash on. Now the last time it did this was over a year ago when I was at my place in France. On that occasion it was a slow puncture in one of the rear tyres that I hadn't noticed was a bit soft! Repaired puncture and all OK. Since then new tyres and no punctures, slow or otherwise and no DSC light until just now. So the first thing I did when I got home, all of 400 yards, was to check the tyre pressures, and lo and behold NO puncture, all pressures spot on. So why did the DSC show? As I said I 'thought' I saw it flash!
More worrying was the brake warning light flash amber, not red, so I checked the pads all round, and all have plenty of meat left! The two pad wear sensors look OK and not dislodged or touching anything that I could see. I also checked the brake fluid level and that was OK.
I began to think I was imagining things!!

Anyway this last weekend I went from Cardiff to Cornwall and guess what, the brake warning light, amber not red flashed whilst on the fairly smooth M5, and a message came up on the message screen but far to brief to read as it doesn't stay there!
This happened a couple of times, but each time the message is too quick to see!
Now at the end of the M5, as many will know, if you are going down the A30 towards Plymouth and Truro, the road has quite a sharp right bend before you get onto the A30 dual carriageway. And yes the DSC light flashed on, but only briefly.
The brake warning light flashed once more and the message showed for that brief second, too quick to read whilst driving!
The rest of the journey to Truro and driving around Falmouth NOTHING showed again! I purposely found a pot holed car park and even with all the wheels and car being subjected to a reasonably violent movement, no warning lights or message showed!
So, oh clever ones, what is going on?
I checked the tyre pressures when I got back, all spot on, and the brake pads still have plenty of meat on them. I checked the brake fluid both before and after the journey as well I should add, and the level was OK both times.
I'm off to Spain to the F1 testing at the end of this week, a treat before my total knee replacement operation!
I'd love to know why this has suddenly showed.
Is there a known dodgy plug under the wheel arch plastic that can cause this by any chance?
Is there anyway of re-reading message centre messages?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Ian

Last edited by ianrichardson on 21st Jan 2014 2:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #122136421st Jan 2014 1:15 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Get a new brake pedal switch either fitted or at least to take on the journey with you.
The switch can cause all manner of warnings...and issues.
It is very common, but cheap and quick to fix.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #122138521st Jan 2014 1:46 pm
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Was that Censored speed camera van on the approach road again?

Post #122138721st Jan 2014 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >