DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

headrests of HSE front seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
henkreyn

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
headrests of HSE front seats

I have an D3 HSE on order and was thinking of installing these:
http://www.plus-1.nl/plus1_car_entertainment.htm (sorry in Dutch)

It is a headrest with a dvd player and screen built in, that replaces the original headrest. Now my qustion is: Can the headrest of an HSE seat be removed?
 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey, black interior  
Post #12161719th Jan 2007 12:54 pm
henkreyn

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

anybody?
 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey, black interior  
Post #12286122nd Jan 2007 7:42 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: headrests of HSE front seats

henkreyn wrote:
Can the headrest of an HSE seat be removed?
Not easily, maybe not at all The End  
Post #12286722nd Jan 2007 7:48 pm
W1 D3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Head Rest Removal

I am a D3 newbie having only just bought mine two weeks ago. I used to have a defender 110 which was great for Ken's congestion charge as it was classed as a minibus (over 9 seats) and therefore exempt.

I am deviating from answering the question, but when the 110 gave up the ghost my wife refused to commute in such an uncomfortable Land Rover. Having got a D3 I felt sure she would be happier.

Anyway, she found the headrest was at an uncomfortable angle. Failing the offer of a booster seat I went to a local garage to see if they could adjust it and they did by taking the side handles off; remove two bits of plastic at bottom or each handle with a screwdriver to lever them out towards the headrest revealing a bolt which can be unscrewed. Once bolts are out, pull the hangles horizontally (not vertically upwards) towards the side windows. Doing this releases the catch at the top of the handle which goes into the steel frame of the headrest.

Once these handles are off, the headrest can be lifted by squeezing those standard catches that are common on other cars (you will be able to feel the catches under the cloth).

Once out you can remove the cover (with foam) and you will be left over with a steel a frame which sits into a piece of polystyrene bolster.

That answers the question of how to remove the headrest, but to fix my wifes complaint - they removed the bolster and then put the headrest head back on but the oposite way around and hey presto, it is now far enough back that my wife is happy. As you are not bending the frame or doing anthing irreversable it can be put right again when selling it on + you can't even notice the difference unless you look closely.

Excuse the ramble - I have never posted anything in a forum before.

Post #12297322nd Jan 2007 10:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Welcome W1...nice ramble Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12297522nd Jan 2007 11:02 pm
W1 D3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yeah - Sorry! I will get the hang of it one day.

Post #12298122nd Jan 2007 11:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hey don't worry...I've had over 5000 ramble's so far Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12298522nd Jan 2007 11:11 pm
sbarnham

Australia 
Re: Head Rest Removal

W1 D3 wrote:
I am a D3 newbie having only just bought mine two weeks ago. I used to have a defender 110 which was great for Ken's congestion charge as it was classed as a minibus (over 9 seats) and therefore exempt.

That answers the question of how to remove the headrest, but to fix my wifes complaint - they removed the bolster and then put the headrest head back on but the oposite way around and hey presto, it is now far enough back that my wife is happy. As you are not bending the frame or doing anthing irreversable it can be put right again when selling it on + you can't even notice the difference unless you look closely.

Excuse the ramble - I have never posted anything in a forum before.

Hey,

I would love if you could post some photos.

Bye,
Scott

Post #22520618th Nov 2007 8:04 am
Mounty

Switzerland 

Have a look in my gallery. Did this about a year ago. Works perfect.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=12275
 Daniel

Now: RSS 2008 3,6l HSE
Past: 2.7l D3 HSE, D3 4.4l HSE, FFRR 2004 4,4l 

Post #22526618th Nov 2007 4:58 pm
sbarnham

Australia 

Daniel,

How did you do that ?

Also, it looks like it now goes up and down, but what about back to stop it pushing your head forward ?

Thanks,
Scott

Post #22535518th Nov 2007 8:31 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The headrests have normal push clips like the rears do ..unfortunatly they are hidden under the seat covers .

Once you remove the side handles( a couple of screws) you have to either gently ease the clips out from under the material , or remove the seat cover .

Then you can squeeze the clip and raise /lower or remove the headreads.

If you grab the headrests as low down as you can ..you will feel the clips im on about
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #22541518th Nov 2007 11:38 pm
al cope

England 

I guess the only contentious issue here is: They are at that angle to prevent whiplash (there was an article in one of the amercian mags where the LR3/D3 headrest came out very well in crashtest for supporting the head movement). So if you had an accident where you were trying to claim for personal injury (and whiplash is one of the most common claims), would your insurance assesor be smart enough to notice the change (lack) of correct head and neck support and blow your claim out.

just a thought
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #22551619th Nov 2007 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mounty

Switzerland 

There is no issue about insurance. I have cleared that. Also it has been cleared through my LR garage with LR. They even did the work of it themself. And once again: The handels are no safetyfeature. They are only for the backseatpassenger so they can hold them self better. They are only a Designfeature.

And the 2008.5 model with the entertaimentfeature has NO HANDELS. So does LR getting now a risk with safety?I dont believe so if they want to sell further in the American Market. And most cars have no handels so there are all in danger of whiplash?

Mounty
 Daniel

Now: RSS 2008 3,6l HSE
Past: 2.7l D3 HSE, D3 4.4l HSE, FFRR 2004 4,4l 

Last edited by Mounty on 19th Nov 2007 10:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22567819th Nov 2007 7:44 pm
al cope

England 

it wasn't the handles I was talking about, it was the fixed angle of the headrest.

And if LR are agreeing to a change, get it in writing, I wouldnt take your dealers word for it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #22571419th Nov 2007 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
V8NOT

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just a thought about DVD screens in headrests and the comments above about insurance and so forth.

I heard a comment somewhere that one of the most dangerous things in recent years in the event of an accident is that the most likely thing for a rear passenger's face/head to hit first are any fitted screens on the back of the seat in front. The portable ones that are not fixed in are even worse apparently as they tend to end up being a heavy sharp object flying around inside the car. This is quite sobering when you think that these are mainly there to keep our little darlings entertained.

If people are determined to have DVDs etc in cars I think I have found the cheapest and most versatile solution. Video iPods are less than £150 each and you can get software on line for about £30 to convert your bought DVDs to MP4 so that they can be added to iTunes. For two children this is a darn sight less expensive than anything built in, can be used anywhere and in all cars, and they can watch different things and even listen to music (which is a bit 90s I know!), and most importantly is much safer.

For our part, we've usually stuck to the approach that there's nothing a good book can't do to keep the children happy!

Anyway, I hope these thoughts help.

Mr. Green
 V8NOT - because it's a diesel of course!  
Post #2320948th Dec 2007 6:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >