Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Buying Advice from you experts (NA 2008 w/ 97K miles)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kwcooper

United States 2013 LR4 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackLR4
Buying Advice from you experts (NA 2008 w/ 97K miles)

I am in the US, so pardon the different references to models...
I have a long relationship with rovers (love-hate, mainly love). Refurbished two Series II's years ago, owned three Disco II's (one was an actual Lemon - that was covered by law and bought back by LR). Then a nice 2006 LR3 that was my wife's car until I really went overboard and surprised her last Christmas with a new LR4. Great vehicle!!!

I recently saw the owner of our local LR dealership grab an 05 or 06 LR3 SE (with 3rd row seats, Nav and BT - no HD pkg or "cold climate pkg") with 100K miles from a trade deal and "trick it out" for his teenage son. Its looks like new!

It gave me the idea to try the same. I am bored of my very 2WD reliable 8 year old Chevy Suburban with nearly 90K miles and looking to do a minor "project" LR3 like my dealer friend. I have found an 08 LR3 with 97K miles that has been impeccably serviced at a LR dealership over its life, priced after haggling at $16,900 USD. It is in great shape, drives tight and smooth and has had recent new brakes front and back, and new street tires and no major service issues over the years. Looks like new underneath and no rust at all. I don't think its had a new suspension compressor or other "know high milage" fault items replaced as of yet.

I want this as a daily driver for the next few years (I drive less than 10K miles per year), so it needs to get me to work every day (8 mile drive), and be ready for some 100 mile weekend camping trips most of the summer weekends. I want to do larger tires on the 18 inch rims after probably Johnson rods. Add a roof rack and winch.

So, according to your expert advice, would this be of sound mind? I don't want to spend my life savings maintaining this and have it spend its life in the shop. I want it to start and reliably get me from A to B, but realize there'll be some items that I'll have to deal with fixing in the next 10-50K miles...

Post #125172412th Mar 2014 11:51 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Firstly, I'm no expert but, seeing as you have had no replies, thought I'd start the ball rolling.

Is it the 2.7 TDV6 diesel that the vehicle has? If so, the 105k service is a relatively large one (belts etc), and the consensus is to also change the oil pump casing at that time as they are prone to failure. Plenty about that on the forum.

Secondly, and much less likely, there is also a LR Technical Bulletin out regarding the 6-sp auto gearboxes - your prospective purchase falls within the range of vehicles that are possibly affected by this. It may therefore be worth asking if the gearbox fluid has been changed and, if not, to listen/watch for any early signs such as slippage, juddering etc. Details etc at http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic108824.html

Personally we are looking to buy a second D3/LR3 to accompany my own. Whilst there is a certain degree of having a 'spare' identical vehicle as I use mine for work, we also think they offer good value for money at around the £9-10k mark. However, here in the UK that seems to get a much earlier model than the one which you are considering.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #125174912th Mar 2014 12:22 pm
kwcooper

United States 2013 LR4 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackLR4

Thanks for the advice and getting the ball rolling. No this is a US, North American petrol engine. I wish we had diesel options here in North America.

Post #125175212th Mar 2014 12:32 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

OK- ignore oilpump then but gearbox TB still applies- albeit very rare. Unless vehicle has been used hard all should (hopefully) be good. Thumbs Up
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #125175512th Mar 2014 12:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >