DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 36 123 ... 343536>
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had a few of these in lately from other garages, all with condemned EPB modules...

All modules failed to unjam themselves using the diagnostic machine. All these modules were successfully unjammed manually, and all to date are still working, with no issues Thumbs Up
If your module sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcV6vCnib9o , Read on!

From what I can gather, the main issue stems from poorly adjusted shoes, or the lever arm on the shoes have been seized, the motor has wound the threaded rod to its full extent of travel, and jammed itself. It then will not release, and the emergency release cable has to be pulled, and will not relatch itself...

This guide is not a guaranteed fix, but every one so far has been successfully repaired. The module will re-jam again, if the underlying issue is not resolved, so it is always worth removing the discs and inspecting the condition of the shoes

Anyway, locate EPB module above rear diff. Also a good time to inspect the front-rear brake pipes, as this is where they rust, as you can see from the picture Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Remove 8 T20 screws, and prise cover off the front of the module (only 7 in this picture) The cover is well glued on, and requires perseverance, and patience to remove:

Click image to enlarge

This is what you will be confronted with:

Click image to enlarge

The silver part in the middle is the motor, which turns gears inside the white plastic housing, which turns a (what looks like) Brass rod, and tightens and releases the cables. The small white plastic item at the lower left pulls the drivers side cable, and when the emergency cable is pulled, it unlatches itself from the metal part to the left of the large white plastic housing, which is in turn attached to the passenger side cable.

As you can see from the picture, the brass rod has fully extended, and jammed, and the small white plastic box it not latched to the other cable

The brass rod needs to be turned downwards (looking from the passenger side (on a UK car), it would be turned anti-clockwise) to unjam it, and unwind it. Once unjammed, it can be wound back using a diagnostic computer, or manually using a small lever or screwdriver. This picture is approx half way:

Click image to enlarge

Here it is almost fully unwound. You can clearly see the brass rod unwound on the threaded rod:

Click image to enlarge

Once you are happy you have unwond it enough, push the 2 side of the cables together to relatch. Compare the metal parts to the right hand side of the small white plastic box between this picture and the next:

Click image to enlarge

All done:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Now, put the EPB shoes back together, discs on and adjust as normal. Operate the EPB switch, apply and release a few times to check for correct operation. Once happy, re-adjust shoes again to ensure the adjustment is OK. Once you are happy the EPB functions correctly, clean as much of the old silicone off the EPB module and cover as possible, reseal with some silicone sealer, and refit the screws.

All being well, you will now have a fully functioning EPB module, and saved yourself close on £500 for a replacement module, and another few hundred quid in labour Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 5th Jun 2019 4:52 pm. Edited 7 times in total 
Post #106245125th Feb 2013 9:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

If anyone needs any clarification on any steps, let me know, and I will do my best to explain, and hopefully update the 1st post. It makes sense to me, but I have done this repair enough to make sense to me Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #106245625th Feb 2013 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Neat.

Thumbs Up

Without a 2 post I can imagine it all being a little tight under there.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #106246925th Feb 2013 9:29 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Epb

Hi mikey
Good fix but if the epb module has been causing problems over time it will have damaged the toothed wheel on the motor
I completely dismantled mine when I did the replacement just to see why it had failed and found that it had worn the teeth down on the big plastic wheel.
I also found that the failure of the epb was probably caused by the previous owner or servicing garage not bothering there Censored to strip, clean and lubricate the adjusters on the shoes and as you know this probably caused the problem in the first place

Cheers

Post #106249125th Feb 2013 9:59 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

But worth a look inside before buying a new one I should think.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #106249525th Feb 2013 10:00 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

yet another top tip Mikey! Bow down

Post #106252725th Feb 2013 10:31 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Another great guide Mikey, although hopfully i won't need this one as i keep my shoes cleaned, lubed and
adjusted(thanks Bodsy). I doubt i would've tackled the cam & pump belts without your guide. Those who
create guides or just give advice on this forum make it a great place to visit. Thumbs Up

I like the jokes too! Laughing

Stu

Post #106253825th Feb 2013 11:09 pm
Disco_Mikey

Re: How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch

Disco_Mikey wrote:

This guide is not a guaranteed fix, but every one so far has been successfully repaired. The module will re-jam again, if the underlying issue is not resolved, so it is always worth removing the discs and inspecting the condition of the shoes

MikeS2005 wrote:
Hi mikey
Good fix but if the epb module has been causing problems over time it will have damaged the toothed wheel on the motor

Robbie wrote:
But worth a look inside before buying a new one I should think.

Whistle Thumbs Up

I would rather have a go myself, before commiting to a new module. A new module + fitting will not be far off £600 + VAT, before you get to the main issue of what has caused it to jam in the first place. By the time you add on the cost of new discs, pads and EPB shoes, you could be facing a bill of around £1000.

Catch it early enough, you may get away with just a strip and clean of the EPB Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #106257426th Feb 2013 7:01 am
Dave T

England 

I think its very kind of the locals up here to keep suppying cars for all these tips Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #106257526th Feb 2013 7:03 am
Disco_Mikey

Started running out of things to do Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #106257926th Feb 2013 7:06 am
Dave T

England 

I couldn't see the bit about pushing the two sides together where it says compare the pictures? I just thinking for future reference Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #106258226th Feb 2013 7:12 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think Mikey meant to say "Compare the metal parts to the right hand side of the small white plastic box between this picture and the NEXT: instead of "Compare the metal parts to the right hand side of the small white plastic box between this picture and the previous:

If you look at the metal piece next to the small white box with the QR code on it, it is closer in the second (or last) picture.

Thumbs Up

Post #106260026th Feb 2013 8:09 am
Disco_Mikey

Gareth is correct. It is difficult to see the difference Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #106267226th Feb 2013 10:09 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Do you have any fixed units available at a reduced price?

If so how much and can I have one!!, just till I get under mine and see what's up with it!
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #10685338th Mar 2013 8:48 pm
Disco_Mikey

Nope. All units were left fitted to the car, and repaired in place Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #10685388th Mar 2013 8:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 36 123 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >