Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

I suppose it had to happen sometime....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
I suppose it had to happen sometime....

Well I got my first suspension failure today.

I was traveling along a main road when the tell tale light came on and I had to drop to 30mph. In the end the suspension lost all height and ride was so bad I could not continue. After stopping for a couple of minutes things were okay but I had lost special programmes, but after 5 minutes driving the same thing happened.

Had hoped it was a one off Sad

LRA came out and identified the problem as the front left sensor, which was working against the others. This caused the compressor to continuously run and overheat causing the complete loss of height. LRA could not sort it and the family and I had a nice trip in a breakdown lorry, which the children enjoyed. Rolling Eyes

Now just need to wait and see what car they deliver as a loan (no 4x4 let alone any Discos.....)

And to see when the garage can sort it. I am a little worried that the compressor overheated a few times. Is there anything I should ask them?

Post #13051416th Feb 2007 5:22 pm
pdip1952

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not sure there is..... when mine went it took three visits with various explanations after each subsequent failure before it got nailed. Still don't know what they had to do in the end..... sensors and wiring changed. Mine seemed to go after I hosed down under the wheel arches. Touch wood she has been fine for the last couple of months. At the end of the day she is a pleasure to own and drive... love every minute I am out on the road Very Happy
 Discovery 3 Metropolis
TDV6
Java Black
Audi TT Roadster 225 

Post #13067016th Feb 2007 11:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

nothing to worry about really, the compessor has two heat sensors to prevent damage, one on the motor and one on the compressor block, either or both will have caused the shutdown to prevent damage (and flag the relevant DTC's) Replacement of a height sensor should take >2 hours provided the sensor is available, height calibration takes most of this time

Post #13067316th Feb 2007 11:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies/reassurances.

I am suspicious that my started after i hosed out the wheel arches - I thought that I was being careful but clearly not careful enough

Post #13077717th Feb 2007 6:57 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hosing out the wheel arches in my opinion should not be cause for concern with components placed there.

This area should be able to handle moisture considering it is going to get wet in normal use and even dunked under water in a river crossing.

I think the problem is probably a failed component but hopefully not due to getting wet. If it is due to moisture then what would the D3 useful for but driving on dry roads. Shocked

Hopefully you are back on the road quickly.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #13092217th Feb 2007 10:59 pm
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

did the fault get sorted on this in the end?

Post #55549124th Nov 2009 1:16 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ardler_dan wrote:
did the fault get sorted on this in the end?

hmmm...well...it was two and half years ago...I know LR parts availability can sometimes be annoying, but I don't think it would be that long a wait... Whistle Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #55551724th Nov 2009 8:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >