DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Misfire at high speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Donzi12

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Misfire at high speed

Hi
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I have a 2010 3.0TDV6 HSE with 42k. On a few occasions, there is what seems like a misfire at high cruise speed, car appears to slow down by a few mph, then recover for a few minutes, then do it again. Very disconcerting and uncomfortable.

On one occasion the red triangle and restricted performance came, but this now seems to have cleared.

Both LR and independent have check faults...nothing shows up.

Help!

Thanks

Post #11282618th Jul 2013 8:58 am
motolite

Australia 

have you checked the fuel filter?

Post #11286728th Jul 2013 10:00 pm
JamesMoon

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have had the same thing (at least it sounds like the same thing), usually when the car has been used just for short trips to the station for a few weeks or so, prior to the high speed run in question. Likewise, no faults showing.

Could well be the fuel filter as per previous poster's suggestion, but maybe before you go down that route try some diesel injector cleaner (<£10) which seemed to work for mine. Seems the injectors were just a bit clogged up (mainly due to daily short trips in my case). Has happened a couple of times in the last 12 months of ownership and this fixed it both times...until the next time, if that makes sense!

Post #11289199th Jul 2013 12:01 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Ahem... Would it happen somewhere between 80 and 85 mph or so?

Your main dealer should be able to resolve it as it is probably the throttle body that needs to be changed under a TSB.

My dealer suggested that the biggest problem was diagnosing the issue as people don't like to admit the speed that they are driving at and as the service manager says, they are there to service the thing, not act as the police!

Hope you can track the TSB down and get the work done foc...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #11291709th Jul 2013 8:45 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I have the same issue. I dont notice any loss of speed, but feels like a misfire. First noticed with cc on at 79mph. has happened on 2 long trips now. Still playing about to see if i can identify conditons such as speed that influence it.

Post #112943410th Jul 2013 1:26 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

As soon as I described the issues, Lucy told me that they would order the parts and gave me a date for the work...

When I laughed and said' "you must have a problem then..." she admitted that LR know of the issue.

Ring yer dealer!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #112956310th Jul 2013 6:33 pm
swansty

Happened consistently today at 80mph. Hope it doesn't break completely as I've a trip to the mainland starting tomorrow. Don't suppose you have a tsb number? I'm out of LR warranty so will need to see where I can get it done and I'd Arran direct will pick up the tab

Post #113022511th Jul 2013 8:59 pm
Donzi12

Thanks for input gents,
problem does indeed occur at around 80mph.
A well know independent LR garage in Hants did a diagnostic and couldn't find anything, however he did give me a copy of a LR TSB No LTB00395v2, (this one supersedes LTB00395) which confirms LR understanding that there is a problem, however i understand that they need the fault to show up before they can rectify the problem.

I checked with LR Headoffice to see if the TSB work had been carried out in the past, which it hadn't.

I'm covered by and extended warranty, so may call a few local dealers to see if its something that they can sort without fault codes.

Cheers

Post #113040612th Jul 2013 9:12 am
ken_dl

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

LiftedDisco wrote:
Ahem... Would it happen somewhere between 80 and 85 mph or so?..

I have just come back from a trip to Scotland what I suddenly experienced was the car suddenly slowing down for a second and then clearing, it was as if the brakes were being suddenly applied and released. this happened on four occasions. The last time it happended I got the dreaded restricted performance message. I stopped and when I restarted the engine all was clear.

Checked the fault codes this morning and I have P-0488hrottle position control range/performance -actuator stuck open.Now I am wondering if this is this going to be an expensive repair or will my warranty cover the repair?

Post #113117714th Jul 2013 10:14 am
swansty

The dealer tells me the TSB fix is a software upgrade to the powertrain control module. I havent had a restricted performance error yet so i may not do anything yet in case no fault code is being logged.

Post #113214716th Jul 2013 1:42 pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is bizarre, I have made the following post:

http://disco4.com/forum/topic97105.html

and I have also added to:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1132698#1132698

and seen:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic94456.html

and worse I got my first red triangle today with reduced performance at <cough> "normal motorway cruising speed"

so based on these three theories, could be a throttle body issue or a reset of the gearbox, or a stuck turbo actuator or some combination of all three . Have ordered a Lynx fault code reader so hopefully that will shed some light.

60K miles of hard driving and now I feel I am heading in for trouble Sad.

Alastair

Post #113376119th Jul 2013 8:33 pm
alastaid

So update, dealer has diagnosed as the throttle body issue. Car isn't under warranty so it is £280 inc to fix. Wondering if it is worth calling LR customer service as this seems like a known issue and a few of us are getting it now?

Post #113621425th Jul 2013 7:51 pm
Donzi12

Was the fault picked up in the diagnostics, or was the dealer being sensible?

I still get the stutter, but no red triangle or record of the issue being stored on the system

v irritating

Post #113638226th Jul 2013 7:24 am
alastaid

Its hard to say, the error code I got was a P2263 - Turbo/Super Charger Boost System Performance signal>Maximum

which is the error code that I got when I got the red triangle.

So two issues really, is the error code I got and misfire at motorway cruising the same issue as the hesitation in cruise control we are seeing. Secondly, the P2263 error code is different to the error code some people have had with the throttle body issue. So quite a few unknowns really.

See what the car is like when I get it back, it will have plenty of use next week so we will see if the throttle body is the cause of the hesitation and the P2263 error code.

Alastair

Post #113648326th Jul 2013 11:15 am
alastaid

Next update.

Picked up the car and £300 lighter, put it in cruise down the motorway, 5 mins out of the dealer forecourt and guess what, yes exactly the same, every 11 seconds it drops by 1mph or so and then surges forward, on a longer run I am pretty sure I will get a red triangle with the same issue.

So can anyone give me a bit of advice on where you stand when a dealer states they are confident they know what the problem is, you give them the go ahead to fix it, and you pick the car up and less than 5 mins of driving it off the forecourt it is exactly the same??

Cheers

Alastair

Post #113667526th Jul 2013 7:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >