Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Tough Decisions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Once you've tried a Hobby you will not want anything else, its the "Discovery" of caravans, everything is superior, our Irish "friends" don't live in them without good reason, they are the best.
Insulation is advertised as better than a 9" brick wall, the roof is strong enough to walk on, indeed ours has a roof rack with a ladder to it as standard, all British 'vans are unsuitable for winter use Shocked this is not opinion it is fact, they freeze up in winter, all pipes in a Hobby are internal to prevent this, it has central heating as standard, the bed is the most comfortable I have slept on.
I bought ours direct from Hobby in Germany, made to my specification and went to the factory to collect it 7 years ago, it is as good now as when it came out of the factory. 2 years ago when it was 5 years old they fitted a new sunroof/light for free under warranty,I did not request it and to me there was nothing wrong with it.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #95306510th Jul 2012 5:34 pm
al cope

England 

whilst Hobby's do look good, we've been on a few sites where it has specifically said NO Hobby/Tabbart/LMC vans allowed.

I dont know how many are like that?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #95308810th Jul 2012 6:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanT599

United Kingdom 

We have seen a couple of Hobby vans. The Prestige 650 WFU.

We have seen a couple more but unsure as to the legal side of these vans reference their length.
Is there a max length for the UK for towing?

We've always had German cars too and their build quality was always great.

We need to find a Hobby dealer and I think our nearest is Derby which is the head office.

TBH we've seen the Hobby brochure and are really impressed with the interior layouts and trim.
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Gone
2004 TD5 ES - Gone
2008 TDV6 G4 -Sold and missed very much 

Post #95311210th Jul 2012 6:47 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The shower in our unicorn Madrid is awesome. Good power and tons of very hot water for 2 good showers every morning. We don't use site facilities except for no 2's so a top bathroom was essential.

As for uk vans being not fit for winter this is true for certain makes and our previous swift was hopeless for freezing pipes but the unicorn is well up to the task. Minus 19 in ours and all tickety boo nothing froze and the wet heating turned down at night.

Just watch out for some sites not allowing hobby vans and make sure you've got good security - you may need it it.

Post #95320310th Jul 2012 9:22 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Would agree and say you are wrong about British vans not fit for winter. We have been away in or Bailey Unicorn Madrid in very cold weather and deep snow with no issues, lovely and warm and noting frooze
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #95321310th Jul 2012 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Bailey senator Thumbs Up

Post #95324211th Jul 2012 12:17 am
IanT599

United Kingdom 

Well we went to look at Hobby vans at the weekend and although they look good and are probably well made the finish didn't feel anywhere near as good as the Bailey and definitely not as good as the Coachman.

Still shopping round for a twin axle fixed bed van at the minute.
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2004 TD5 ES - Gone

Post #95545716th Jul 2012 8:18 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

DiscoDunc said
Quote:
personally, i would buy a second hand van first and keep it for a few months holidays/weekends away. you will then get a very good idea of what is "your" ideal layout etc....

This is exactly what we did when we returned to caravanning after a few years off. We chose late model used van with a layout that we thought we liked. Used it for one summer. By the end of the summer we knew what we wanted, and when it came to p/ex against a new van, got our money back, and a new van that we knew was just what we wanted. It turned out to be a Coachman, with a fixed island bed.

We looked long and hard at the Bailey range, but found the build quality and finish, although good, didnt match the Coachman. We use it all year round, and have been snowed in it once at minus 10 on the North Yorks Moors. We were snug as bugs in rugs. The only problem we had in the extreme cold was getting water into the van, as ours doesnt have an onboard tank, so relies on the good old Aquaroll.

We always use CL sites, so being self contained is important, but just think about how much time you spend in your bathroom/shower each day, and think if loosing living space is worth it.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #95557417th Jul 2012 6:43 am
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Why do some sites not allow Hobby vans?.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #95561017th Jul 2012 8:53 am
al cope

England 

I think its because Hobby,Tabbart and LMC are the 'van of chioce for our "Travelling community", and I guess the site owners didnt want thses on site - I just remember seeing the signs when we were entering the site - I wish I could remember where it was.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #95562917th Jul 2012 9:33 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

If the Hobby is the Discovery of the caravan world then the Airstream must be the Rolls Royce Smile

They come in two formats - single axle and twin axle have a look at their web site - http://www.airstreamandco.com/

We have the two berth 532 and we have towed it all the way to the Sahara.

'scuse the Sorento Razz
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #95563717th Jul 2012 10:01 am
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the reply Al I understand now, shame though as the importers are a only a couple of miles down he road from me and they always look nice when I pass.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #95564817th Jul 2012 10:34 am
al cope

England 

they do look good - but I also seem to recall some of the mainstream 'van insurers wont cover them either, due to their habit of disappering and turning up in Ireland. Whistle

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #95565617th Jul 2012 10:54 am
oldbarn

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have an Inos caravan made in Wales by 'The 5th Wheel Co.' Excellent workmanship, a bit heavy but if you have a LR it would be no problem.

Post #96024229th Jul 2012 11:30 am
IanT599

United Kingdom 

Well we thought we had found our van and were about to start shopping round the dealers when bailey decided to send us an email with very limited details of a Unicorn Series 2.
We need to wait till 6th August to find out what the new vans are.

Plus I need to do my B+E test in the meantime.
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2004 TD5 ES - Gone

Post #96025529th Jul 2012 11:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >