Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Touring in Norway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tela

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Touring in Norway

I'm planning on taking a driving holiday in Norway this summer, and would like the reassurance of a 4x4 under me. I drive a Disco3 in UK, but don't really want to spend the time driving all the way to Norway from Gloucestershire.

A couple of years ago I managed to hire a big-wheel Defender in Iceland, which was great fun, but v expensive, and I am hoping to find Landrovers for hire in Norway (Bergen area) for this year.

I have not been able to locate anyone hiring Landrovers of any sort yet; anyone know where I can rent one in Norway, please?

Thanks

Tela

Post #88207811th Jan 2012 4:43 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

I think you will find renting a Land Rover very difficult, I have never seen any for hire.

If the majors hire companies are too expensive for a euromobil, then there is always the local rent a wreck.

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #88208211th Jan 2012 4:48 pm
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Why don't you take the boat from Immingham?

EDIT: Oh as long as theres no under 12's going....

Martin Thumbs Up
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #88209111th Jan 2012 5:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tela

Thanks Guys, I think taking the trip from Immingham still leaves me with a pretty long drive to get to Bergen via Sweden or ferry from North Denmark.

Post #88210711th Jan 2012 6:14 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

The Scandinavian countries are great places to visit Thumbs Up

How long are you going for Tele?

The boat from Immingham is supposed to be for commercial vehicles only and do not always guarantee a crossing/cabin which could be a problem if you are on a tight schedule.

From Gloucestershire if time permits Dover Calais crossing then up through Germany.

Either turn left up to Denmark , then straight ahead to Skagen and ferry to Norway or right to Copenhagen , bridge and tunnel to Sweden and onwards.

If turn right in Germany up through the Baltic countries to Tallin, either ferry to Stockholm or across to Helsinki and island hop through the Aland islands.

Enjoy the journey, make the journey part of the holiday.

Food and beer is more expensive in Norway then Sweden which is more expensive then Denmark, which is more expensive then Germany Laughing

Brendan

PS try to incorporate at least one of the Scandinavian national events held July/August time

Post #88210911th Jan 2012 6:16 pm
Tela

Thanks Brendan. Unfortunately, I've only got 2 weeks, and the places I want to visit are already going to take more than 2 weeks to see! So, I have a bit of a problem - i'd far rather drive there in the comfort of my own car, but I think that it would loose me too many days 'in country'.

I really enjoyed Iceland, and I'm sure that Norway will be just as good - if a little bit more crowded.

Richard

Post #88212811th Jan 2012 6:47 pm
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tela wrote:
Thanks Guys, I think taking the trip from Immingham still leaves me with a pretty long drive to get to Bergen via Sweden or ferry from North Denmark.

The boat goes to from Immingham to Brevik which isn't "too" far. Just takes time for the journey on the boat.

With regards to travelling the Europe option so you have a lot of options. Probably better up to from Hirtshals instead of Skagen as you can take the Colorline superspeed to Kristiansand (3,5hrs). I did the trip last July and used 24hrs to Oslo. That was on my own and taking advantage of the quiet German roads during the night Thumbs Up If you're 2 you could share the driving. Understand your problem with the 2 weeks though.

You could always drive you car over the weekend before, leave it parked up at either my place or Glens (sure he wouldn't mind Whistle ) and take a cheap Ryanair back home and then back here the week after Thumbs Up Problem solved Whistle It would still be a lot cheaper than renting a car here and you could "fill" your car with beer and food Whistle

I'd even donate to the diesel costs if you have a "bit" of spare room Thumbs Up
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #88215611th Jan 2012 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moorman

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A trip to Norway is well worth the effort if a little expensive. Stunning scenery. We towed our old caravan with a 300 Disco manual on a 6 week tour. Arrived in Esbjerg (Denmark) by ferry and drove to Hirtshals a ferry to Kristiansand followed by a staged drive to the North Cape stopping at various sites on route. Returned through Finland to Helsinki took a fantastic ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm returning to Denmark and return ferry to UK. A brilliant trip which we would like to repeat even if we didn't go as far north. Lasting memory - crossing the Arctic Circle and of driving at midnight and beyond and it was still light.
One thing we discovered was that although the trips we planned didn't look a long distance on a map due to the nature of the terrain it can take much longer to cover the distances. Always check the fjord ferries departure time, we turned up to one 15 mins after it had left and the subsequent drive was extremely long and if I remember correctly we didn't arrive back at the caravan until 2am ish.

Post #88224511th Jan 2012 10:12 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Fjordline serves bergen from Hirstsals as well, it will save you a 8 hour drive from kristiansand to Bergen, but if you choose to travel from kristiansand ,up Setersdal to haukeli,over Hardangervidda to Bergen your in for a treat.

But a cheap tickect from Norwegain out of gatwick, and a rental in Bergen and you are there in a couple of hours, I am 10 minutes from the airport, so let me know when you land and i'll put the kettle on

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #88228811th Jan 2012 11:05 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

Why don't you pay a student friend of the family to drive your D3 over to Norway. When the ash cloud was here I got a student to drive to Norway to collect a client. He did it for the chance to drive an S500 to Oslo and food money!
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #88230211th Jan 2012 11:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >