Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tourist and Diplomatic sales?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Tourist and Diplomatic sales?

Has anyone out there managed to get a discount from Tourist and Diplomatic sales?

Post #6150585th Mar 2010 9:33 am
pavol

Slovakia 

Muhm, I am actually finalising my specification through UK diplomatic sales. They have a special generic price list. Do you need any particular information?

Post #6151255th Mar 2010 11:10 am
MogulBoy

I have received the pdf based tax free price list that they have prepared.

Before following up directly with them, I was just curious to lear how much room for maneuver there might be?

From what I can see, although they appear to offer 'naked' S, SE and HSE specs, but you certainly have to add-in all the equipment that would normally expect to as stanard to 'replicate' what would be a Swiss, a German or a UK HSE spec. so it's proving quite hard to actually compare what the available savings, are based on MSRPs.

Of course the big attraction for me at present comes from the current exchange rate - but it I would like to know if others have been able to chip-off a decent margin from the T&D tax free prices as every little helps!

Regards,

Post #6151635th Mar 2010 12:01 pm
pavol

Slovakia 

Than you have aparently the same price list as me.
If you buy via diplomatic, you get a certain percentage flatrate discount. I have no idea about tourist.
What I hate is that you are forced to have the standard items which are fitted in your destination country. E.g. I have to take the DPF and volumetric alarm even if I dont want to.
You can have delivered the vehicle to your country as well for a fee of about 500 GBP.
I would be also interested if anyone suceeded in getting a reasonable tourist rabate.
With whom are you in contact there?

Post #6151775th Mar 2010 12:16 pm
pavol

Slovakia 

and be aware, the warranty is not unlimited as stated on the Personal export sales site. As I was told, it is 100.000 km. and the site is incorrect. Rolling Eyes

Post #6151825th Mar 2010 12:19 pm
MogulBoy

I'm not yet in dialogue with anyone but it was someone with the initials PA who sent me the price list.

I would be ordering a LHD car as a tourist export and the e-mail that I received from PA said that collection would have to be in London, in person (not a particular problem for me).

To be honest, I would like to order a car to my local (Swiss) market specification, I'd even want the owners handbook and service book in French (or German), as that would ultimately help with any local resale (although I'd have no intention of selling it within 5 years or so).

A friend recently bought one from a local dealer out here as they were 'convinced' by the sales guy that they should not expect much in the way of aftersales care from that particular dealer unless sourced from him! Hardly surprising but it wouldn't bother me too much - unless I end up with a lemon!

My plan B is to source a LHD car from a dealer in Germany as the price could/should be similar (after discounts) and it's even possible for me as a Swiss resident (non-EU) to buy an ex-demo car and have the German VAT refunded leaving me with Swiss VAT and import duty to pay which will be less than the German VAT.

Post #6152145th Mar 2010 12:36 pm
pavol

Slovakia 

yeah, obviously PA is the only one there responsible for tourists and diplomatic sales. he is quite brief in conversation but answers emails almost instantly. the owners handbook should be in your preferred language I guess. the thing with the local dealer - he would be mad not to offer after sales to you in case you buy in UK, it´s his money and profit in the end, ain´t it?

Post #6152545th Mar 2010 1:02 pm
MogulBoy

pavol wrote:
the thing with the local dealer - he would be mad not to offer after sales to you in case you buy in UK, it´s his money and profit in the end, ain´t it?

Indeed but my view has always been that the local dealers should get compensation from the factory for the 'cost' of aftersales care. i.e. they do a warranty-repair on the car, they invoice the factory and they make a profit on that work! Warranty schemes in general are after all, just a form of insurance.

Without knowing all the commercial arrangements that Land Rover have put in place, its hard to know how much sympathy to have with my local dealer... The fact is that I will not be buying a dew D4 at anywhere close to local list price so in that regard, he is not losing any business!

Perhaps LR sell new cars to him in priced in Sterling (?) and he would make a packet on a new sale at the present time. I'm not so sure as the flip side of that is that if the currency went against him, he could no longer afford to sell cars in local currency if they were costing him more that what he had expected to pay.

LR should be interested in selling the greatest number of new cars period but they do need to keep their dealer network in business. General economy/demand related commercial risks are one thing but currency risks are a potential nightmare and best managed by headquarters on a global scale.

Oh well, it's getting close to the time where I will have to put my ideal spec. on paper and see what deals are there to be done...

Cheers,

P.S. What was the scope of the warranty you were offered? Presumably 2yrs unlimited mileage is the EU norm these days?

Post #6152885th Mar 2010 1:41 pm
pavol

Slovakia 

In UK you officially get 3years + unlimited mileage, elsewhere 3years or 100.000km Sad

Post #6152935th Mar 2010 1:44 pm
itisrich

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have been in touch with a Swiss based import company recently, they offer prices around 16 % less than swiss dealer prices, so a hse d4 swiss spec was offered to me at 76,300 frs with a 4 month delay on delivery. That includes 3 yr warranty but not servicing.

let me know how you get on, maybe there is a deal to be had!!
Guy s name is ronald
fctrading@bluewin.ch

Post #6164677th Mar 2010 7:52 pm
MogulBoy

Hi itisrich,

Thanks for your post. Have you looked into the personal import option yourself?

My preliminary figures indicate that the effective cost saving should be double the 16% that you mention, and that's pre-any discount from the published generic-LHD tourist sales prices which may be possible.. 16% would be a nice margin for your agent don't you think? Tell him you're going to go direct and see if he budges!

I popped-in to the motorshow on opening day (last Thursday) but stopped short of asking what deals were to be done via the local importer however I am aware that there are often 'special deals' to be done at the show and I may go back later this week, if I have time, and ask - but it would have to come very close to the personal import price for me to be interested...

P.S. An acquaintance recently bought a D4 locally. I believe that he got a small discount (undisclosed) but had to really fight for it and although he had considered the personal import route, the dealer persuaded (sounds like bullied!) him into the mindset that the aftersales service package that would be available if he bought locally would be worth the price delta! I would struggle with that although as I mentioned above, there's always that slim chance of picking a lemon!

Cheers!

Post #6166857th Mar 2010 11:04 pm
itisrich

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Mogul,

Really is it possible to import directly, hmm, if so your right I am sure more savings could be made? I contacted LR some months ago their price tax free for a hse D4 was 40k pounds, then + 11% import tax (11% from what I can work out).

I approached a dealer at the show based in Geneva which lead to a test drive, his offer on a demo he had was 96,000 frs and he really would nt budge. I don't believe there should be any issues with carrying out warranty related work, but i am sure the local dealers will try very hard not to lose a sale by trying to scare people into not importing!

Richard

Post #62298918th Mar 2010 1:14 pm
MogulBoy

Hi Richard,

Personal importation is defintely possible and should be straightforward if everything is up to EU specification. It used to be the case that every vehcile had to be inspected but now they accept a 'certificate of conformity'.

Some links..

http://www.isyours.com/e/immigration/reloc...rting.html

http://www.isyours.com/e/immigration/reloc...ering.html

http://www.ge.ch/san/doc/importation_d_un_vehicule.pdf

http://www.tcs.ch/main/fr/home/auto_moto/f...mport.html

The costs invovled appear to be a straightforward 7.6% VAT plus what appears to be a 4% 'consumption tax'.

I had previously understood this secondary tax to be driven by the weight of the vehicle (not ideal with the twin-chassis Discovery!) so I have been preparting my estimates based on 15% as the worst case scenario for all taxes but if it is a flat 4% then even better.

I'm still weighing up my options before I push the button and wonder if there are any deals to be done at the end of this month (quarter end of course and post the spike in UK orders that would have been placed to coincide with the March "10" plate change...

Regards,

Post #62304418th Mar 2010 3:19 pm
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hey Mogul,
Don't know if you've seen this one or read German, but it's a nice breakdown of the import process from Germany.
http://www.mueller24.info/autoexport.php

Summary: From an administrative point of view, it's easier to get married than to import. The higher the value of the car, the more worth the effort it is.

Please also take into account the hit on resale value of a Typenschein 'X' vehicle, especially if there a decent amount of 'Swiss' cars available in the same spec. The spec is also something to be aware of, although it seems the HSE is not that well equipped as standard in CH anyway.
 using arm rest more than rear diff  
Post #62340619th Mar 2010 9:09 am
MogulBoy

Getting married is far to easy in most countries!

I had a quick look at your link that and noted the is/was a weight based tax of CHF15 per 100KG but it's possible that some of the hassles listed there are out of date as I have heard that the import process has been streamlined in recent years.

I've heard that in 'the old days', you had to take every imported car to a particular garage in the Swiss Italian region to have it 'checked' there but that story may be just fiction.

One thing I have heard about importing from Germany is that you do have to pay the Germand VAT up front and then you only get it back once you can prove to the Germans that you have paid your Swiss VAT.

The UK system is far more open and you can even buy a car VAT free in the UK and drive it for up to a year before exporting it and there is no VAT to pay up front.

The following links confirm some of the rules that would apply to an export from the UK...

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vexmotorsmanual/vexmotors2000.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vexmotorsmanual/Index.htm

It confirms that one would have to take delivery within the UK and sign a VAT 410 form confirming that the intention was to export it.

Document VEXMOTOR (V1-21B) (I have a pdf of this but can't find it online) also gives quite a lot of extra detail including (on page 13) the fact that the registration mark that would be issued on registration in the UK would start with an X to denote that it is tax-free.

I'd wager that there are a few people out there who would have love to have "XF10 JAG" or similar but such a number would appear to be only possible to allocate to a VAT free export sale vehicle!

This document also states that you ould get a pink registration book (VX 302) instead of the reguly UK V5.

It also appears to be the case that these "DVLA export plates", for want of a better word, do not come with temporary third party insurance, as I understand is the case with German export plates, so that's another hassle but presumably not insurmountable.

Post #62344619th Mar 2010 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >