DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tow bar on disco 4.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
itstime222

United Kingdom 
Tow bar on disco 4.

Hey,

I read somewhere that certain towers fitted to the LR4's have different towing capabilities. That the detachable ones can't tow 3.5 t.

Is that true? Mine was sold as having a factory fitted tow bar, can anyone see from the picture if that's true - and if the tow bar will be okay with 3.5t - or should I look at upgrading it?

Thanks.

Post #185048723rd Aug 2017 8:32 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Post #185048823rd Aug 2017 8:32 pm
df_tom

Germany 

looks like the fixed witter tow bar i've bought/fitted mounted as well. http://www.landy-scheune.de/ersatzteile-la...sport.html If yours is the same it should be okay for 3andahalf. LR041041

To be sure, you should check for little stickers with E numbers. One should be on the ball, one should be on one of the two arms that link the plate to the underside of the car. Go check these with the manufacturer(Witter?). In any case: you should get the manual and data for both ball and bar, and keep the copies in the car for the racing officials.

You may consider mounting the bar in the lower holes. Especially, when towing tandem trailers, your height of the ball might result in uneven load between first and second trailer axle due to the excessive nose height. Check with your trailer on the hook, engine running and all doors closed.

Post #185049923rd Aug 2017 8:48 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Hi it does look very similar doesn't it.

Annoyingly mine seems to have been painted - and I can't see any stickers - all I can see is ISO50 and Willstow 10 10 (!!!) Does that make any sense to You? Can't find anything on Google apart from they make trailers!!

Post #185050723rd Aug 2017 9:25 pm
df_tom

Germany 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's how it looks on mine. Well capable of towing 3t. Even had a bad trailer with almost dysfunctional brake, series landy 109 on it and that one gave us a couple of knocks. The towbar took it well!

Mounting the thing was a bit of a chore. The big bolts were utter crap. Had to buy new ones, since one had a bothed thread right out of the box.

Some other forum member had the fixed witter bar up for sale if i remember correctly. Maybe that's the way to go for you?

Post #185115025th Aug 2017 8:09 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

It looks remarkably similar doesn't it! I think I might stay put - it looks very solid and capable.

Are there any changes you have to make to the car to tow that sort of weight? To the suspension etc?

Thanks again.

Post #185121725th Aug 2017 9:51 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

No, nothing is needed to be done, just hook up and go. The biggest thing to watch out for is your speed. The D4 is such a capable tow vehicle, you'll forget you're towing something.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #185122425th Aug 2017 10:33 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Ha ha I've done that before with our horsebox which is a Renault master van that we converted and the horse goes in the back. Only remebred when he nearly ended up on my lap! I'll be towing a 3 tonne digger on a trailer so it will be a good test 😊😊😊

Post #185125726th Aug 2017 6:00 am
df_tom

Germany 

Swapped _all_ oils including auto gearbox (twice) and servo.
New tires (245/70/17) and alloys, but could have done with 255/60/18 as well. 235 seem a bit on the narrow end. Look for the load index, get some sturdy tire.

Undid the farmer's body lift (altered height sensor rods), now rides at 1/2 inch lift. instead of 5 inch...

apart from looking fugly, 5in lift and 255/55 mini wheels making no sense, the cornering behaviour was outright dangerous, and the car ate front axle outer boots and halfshafts.

Basically getting back to stock-like conditions, heavy duty tires and the proper tow bar did the trick. Absolutely capable, excellent towing vehicle.

Post #185207228th Aug 2017 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >