Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tow bar limit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Sorry I don’t understand the 100kg nose?

I’ve got an inform Williams trailer twin axle 3.5 tonne. With a marquee. So it’s as good as full capacity.

Is the standard tow bar safe?

Post #217539622nd Sep 2020 5:24 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

aja4x4 wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Many thks and most appreciated Thumbs Up

Nows there’s a thought that never entered my mind with regards to twin axles , suppose all down to experience gauging it , including the weight of the overall towing set up, out of curiosity do u ever use the council weigh ins plse

Indeed some great ideas now available

As a kid never understood why dad when loading the caravan shouted at us if we threw things in or moved items around Laughing , if I remember rightly it was an Eccles caravan with the gas lamps , the an ace globetrotter

Was always a standing joke that the old form consul would overheat going over the hogs back Whistle

Most appreciated Bow down

It is down to experience you get to know how the trailer or caravan tows and moving things around can make things better or worse. I know that my Discovery likes a lot of nose weight but you also have to take into account all the axle weights of the vehicle and trailer.

Many thks and indeed wondered that ref experience with the way the vehicle drives etc and changing loads nose weight accordingly

All the time as a kid never saw the caravan once ever snake or get out of hand

However , never forget seeing a caravan overturn in front of me down a motorway , was like in slow motion watching it shatter into pieces , car went over with it , everyone got out safe

Last edited by gstuart on 22nd Sep 2020 5:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #217540322nd Sep 2020 5:45 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nose weight is the verticle weight the coupling places straight down on the towball.

The standard fixed towbar is safe up to its rated plated weight
The detachable towbar is the same but its only for occasional use as the socket in the chassis can wear and eventually the detachable part can fall out.
This wont happen as long as you only use it occasionally, you remove it when not being used and you connect thebrake away cable to the chassis and not the detachable part.

Post #217540422nd Sep 2020 5:46 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi CMB,
not sure how much you have towed in the past or if you have done any trailer training Question

the D3 will do the job no problem but as said for a stable outfit you need to consider a number of things, including the nose weight and loading of the trailer and how this can affect the handling and braking of the outfit

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #217545422nd Sep 2020 8:22 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi again CMB

To try and clarify:

The 3,500kg is the towing capacity of the vehicle, towbar and (if suitably plated) the trailer. This is designed to provide a appropriate margin of safety with regard to the typical forces which might be placed on the system when accelerating, cornering or braking. Most JLR vehicles are rated to 3,500 kg whereas some of the pickups you see towing trailers with 2.7 tonne diggers around the country are not. Your D3 is up to the job (legally) of towing the trailer and marquee provided their combined weight is less than 3,500 kg.

The nose weight is the static load which is placed on the tow bar by the trailer hitch when coupled, and can be affected by the way in which the load is distributed in the trailer/caravan/whatever.

One important thing to consider (esp with a leaf-sprung Ifor) is the relative height of both the tow bar and the hitch prior to coupling. Whilst the D3 will self-level it is preferable to get the hitch and towball as close to the same height as possible. The leaf springs on the Ifors are pretty dang strong and I have, in the past, seen a trailer with a hitch that is higher than the tow ball raise the rear end of our Defender. This is partly why the fixed towbar with adjustable hitch plate may be preferred by those of us who tow different trailers etc (although it also makes a very good ground anchor when working off-road!).
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #217580624th Sep 2020 9:48 am
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Great I’m with you! Thank you!

So I’d be best loading the trailer hitch on to a set of scales, using a block of wood, to weigh the nose of the trailer. Then keep the load exactly the same each time, knowing it will be ideal.

What is the best nose weight to have please? I’ve seen a few monitions but what is the one that will keep gods happy please?

Also, tow bar and hitch are pretty much perfect in normal mode

Post #217580924th Sep 2020 9:54 am
al cope

England 

and if you are new to towing there are a different set of speed limits to adhere to. That means 60mph on the motorway (check out the other limits for 2 lane and dual carriageways) and you mustn't use the outside lane of a three (or more) lane motorway.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #217581024th Sep 2020 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Plus one also needs the correct driving license

Post #217581324th Sep 2020 10:07 am
garrycol

Australia 

This video demonstrates why balance and ball weight is important - a rule of thumb is that 10% of the trailer weight should be on the ball - can be as low as 5% but starts to become unstable.

Post #217585424th Sep 2020 2:05 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

10% up to the maximum npse weight rating and then no more (in theory)

as previously said though nose weight is hugely effected by hitch and coupling height which can be difficult to guage on an air sprung vehicle that self levels.
Ideally Hitch, drive a bit, then check.

If you have negative hitch weight it will feel awful by the way and you will end up on one of those horrible youtube videos. Its interesting how those always seem to show Ifor multi axle trailers though. Whilst being great trailers I think they may be less forgiving of poor loading and use
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #217585624th Sep 2020 2:24 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Hope this finds everyone is keeping safe and well

Apologises for the daft questions, on the caravan my dad useto have a flat bar which I think was something that reduced sway

With regards to trailers , do they have the same type of anti sway technology that’s now incorporated within the towbar hitch plse , or are they different between caravans and trailers of how there designed

Many thks and hope u didn’t mind me asking Thumbs Up

Post #217587624th Sep 2020 4:21 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

No such thing as a daft question!

Caravans generally come with an integrated stabiliser in the hitch these days (I remember the flat blade Scott and Bulldog varieties too!). I think it would be unusual for a trailer to be so equipped though. Depending upon the chassis, it MIGHT be possible to fit one (Al-Ko).

However, I’ve been a judge for the annual Tow Car Awards since its inception, and all the stabilisers are removed from the caravans. A well matched outfit should never be unstable, but there are some dire tow vehicles out there (some that might surprise you), but the Discovery 3, 4 and current are supremely stable. The 4 was actually better stability wise than the current model according to data from the Al-Ko ATC units (fitted but not operative on the brakes) which constantly monitors the caravan’s stability when being tested.

Post #217588424th Sep 2020 4:47 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Stabilisers can be fitted to trailers - usually by bolting a bracket to part of the chassis/A-frame. The sprung unit then engages with this and a receiver which is bolted between the tow hitch and the mounting plate. This means they would work with the fixed tow-bar but I don't see how they could with the removeable.

I used to have one fitted to my Ifor but someone borrowed the trailer, bent the chassis ( Rolling Eyes ) and then forgot to ask the repairers to move the bracket over when fitting the new rail. They can make a difference but, as others have indicated, I don't think it is really necessary with the D3/4 and a well loaded trailer.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #217589824th Sep 2020 5:36 pm
gstuart

Bless u and many thks for the great explanation Bow down

Ref weights as well always useto get so confused with toeing weights etc , but makes it a lot easier to understand from all the threads on here

Plus whilst browsing U tube, as u do Whistle , there are certainly some very nice trailer sets ups , with I also imagine an eye watering price tag

Post #217593324th Sep 2020 7:52 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I must check my manual but as far as I remember when I got my Discovery back after the crossmember was replaced and the permanent hitch fitted there was an update for the manual stapled to the paperwork revising the detachable tow bar towing weights to 150kg nose weight and 750kg towing weight. But that’s here in Ireland.

Post #217594624th Sep 2020 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >