Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tow Hitches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nickwil

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tow Hitches

Can anyone help? I need to fit a tow hitch on my XS that is compatible with an Ifor Williams Horse trailer and Ifor Wiliams recommend that the tow ball height is 440mm. I know that the removable, swan neck is 400mm high and that the adjustable varies from 350 to 500mm. I would prefer to have the removable tow hitch but can anyone tell me the problems I might encounter by towing at a slightly lower height than recommended.
 niknok  
Post #12136418th Jan 2007 7:49 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Assuming the horse-box is a twin-axle job (and I'd be surprised if it isn't), you will probably notice the whole thing sloping forwards, less than acceptable handling caused by the front axle doing the work, and somewhat less wear on the rear tyres Wink

Probably wont matter much for occasional use / short trips, but if that's your thing every week-end then get the adjustable tow ball (or a different trailer). Only problem is that the adjustable is a fixed unit which makes for a great plough when off-road Razz

Post #12136818th Jan 2007 8:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I use a swan neck removable hitch and tow a variety of trailers, some tow better than others the D3 copes fine.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #12137118th Jan 2007 8:03 pm
TB

England 

I can't see that a 40mm height difference on a self leveling suspension system would make any really difference to be honest.

If there is a slight slope, as mentioned by JMC, it would hardly be noticeable across the distance between tow hitch and trailer axle.

I would go for the detacheable tow bar every time.
 Arctic Frost RR Sport. TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Tow pack, PTI, Privacy Glass, Tasmods, Mudflaps & a RRSport umbrella in the boot.

Post #12137318th Jan 2007 8:08 pm
cecilthecat

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I agree that 40mm would probably not make much difference, but possibly another option is to buy the LR 2" removable hitch and then get a tow ball adaptor for this, which come in a wide range of sizes. I bought one of these last week from the US as I want to use a motorcycle rack and all of the UK ones bolt on to the normal securing bolts of the non removable type. I know it is not a common method here in the Europe but they are used pretty much everywhere else so are readily available.

Post #12139518th Jan 2007 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >