Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TOWBAR / BIKE RACK HELP PLEASE !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hughesajc

TOWBAR / BIKE RACK HELP PLEASE !!!!

Hiya

My wife has got a March 07 Disco and is very pleased with it.We do not currently have a tow bar but we need to be able to carry 2 bikes on the back.We do not want a permanent multi height towbar.As susch I thought it would be an idea to have a quick release towbar fitted so when Emma needed to put the bikes on the back and I wasnt around to help her she could quickly pop the quick release towbar on and then easily drop the bike rack on top and then put the bikes on the back without any fuss.When she was finished ith would then be easy for her to remove the bike rack and tow bar and put tehm away.Ive just spoken to landrover na dthey tell me that their quick release towbar does not supprt a bike rack.As such I have 3 questions that I could do with help on please

1) Does anyone know of a quick release towbar that will enable a normal bike rack to be attached easily

2)is there a bike rack that can be attached VERY easily and will not damage the car that does not require a towbar

3)A friend in the car trade has told me has has seen a bike rack that actually lowers down the side of the car so the bikes can be attached and is then'hoisted' on top of the car somehow.Emma is only short and she would not be able to stand on the sidesteps and lift her bike on to a normal roof mounted bike carrier without perhaps falling or hurting herself

Also if anyone has got any info on recommended shops/sites that deal in towbars or bike racks for the Disco please

Any advice/info/contact numbers/pictures would be gratefully received Very Happy

Many Thanks

Tony Hughes

Post #3058823rd Jun 2008 12:24 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tony - what the dealer is saying is very strange. Unless there is a difference between a "quick release" tow bar and the LR detachable tow bar.

I have the latter with a Maxxraxx, 5 bike rack which fits to the tow bar. In fact the D3 is one of a very few number of cars that can take 5 bikes, so 2 bikes should not be a problem.

For just two bikes, there are plenty of options out there. Thule and Antera are quality makes (along with Maxxraxx) and are easy to fit and store.

But I would get clarification on what the dealer has said.

Post #3058903rd Jun 2008 12:49 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The LR Bike Rack only fits the multi height towbar arrangment.

If you do not want to tow at the same time, any of the ball mounted racks from people such as Thule work with the detachable towbar - put Thule in the search box and you will find several threads and recommendations.

If you want to tow simultaneously, the only most popular option with the detachable towbar is the MaxxRaxx which I and several other regulars have. Needs to be fitted properly, but it is a substantial bit of kit.

HTH
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #3058983rd Jun 2008 1:18 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

These people do some bike racks http://www.bak-rak.com/

But they also do a converter that allows a bike rack to be fitted to a removable towbar

Look down the homepage for "SWAN-NECK ADAPTER" ..i use one of there mounts to be able to attach a vice to my towbar ...very well made and clever design
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3059153rd Jun 2008 2:02 pm
heapster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I use a detatchable towbar with a Thule 9403 (I think you need 9402 for 2 bikes). I usually leave it set up with the bar attached so you just jam the whole lot into the car and off you go. It's not light (made of steel) but manageable by one person.

Any towbar mounted rack will fit the LR detatchable ball - roofbox.co.uk and others have stacks at all sizes and prices. The variation is in build quality and ease of use.

Post #3059163rd Jun 2008 2:10 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Option 3 is made by Thule, its very expensive, and its not going to help on a Disco its too far up!

I have recently bought (based on recomendations here) a Thule 903 bike rack and the LR detachable tow bar (from the large one) with 13 pin electrics. Its a great solution.

It all soon adds up in terms of cost however! be warned!
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3060213rd Jun 2008 6:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

The bike rack that lowers down is the same make that Captain Sugar has (begins with an A Embarassed ) I have seen it on a volvo, but it would still be quite a lift onto the hoist. If you aren't towing whilst carrying bikes then there are loads of good racks. I have used the Pendle one which is great and left the bracket on a spare towbar and just swapped over when needed, I actually think it is better than my Maxxraxx, but as you can't tow and use it, it was a non starter.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3060423rd Jun 2008 6:57 pm
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

See my comments inside the post on the Maxxraxx here about the Thule 9403

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21792.html?highlight=maxxraxx

Thule9403:
£100 on offer at Halfords (assuming sale still on), attaches to the LR removable tow bar nice and easily, comes with lightboard as part of setup. Easy to use although only comment would be it is heavy, which only comes into play when you are mounting it. It uses a large clamp that tightens around the ball.

The Maxxraxx solution looks great, but for the usage I wanted I couldn't justify double the cost.

HTH Pete.

Post #3060743rd Jun 2008 7:49 pm
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

and finally the detachable tow bar takes some leverage to get it in . No woman ( at least not many) could get it in unassited if its at heavy and tight as mine !!

Post #3061703rd Jun 2008 10:02 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

andym wrote:
and finally the detachable tow bar takes some leverage to get it in . No woman ( at least not many) could get it in unassited if its at heavy and tight as mine !!

(yeah innuendo overload I know)

Its interesting that you have a tight one, mine seems quite a loose fit, there is a small amount of play left to right and with the bike rack on this gives a very slight wobble when extended to the left and right ends of the bike rack.

seems there is some "tolerance" in the tow ball fits, at least we know its made in England that way Wink
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3065464th Jun 2008 6:00 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

If you mean that the quick release tow bar is the same as the LR removable towbar, then forget about "popping" it in and out.

It is a heavy piece of metal, that hurts badly fingers and tows when being released and the locking mechanism is something I never understood. I don't remove it anymore because it's a hassle.

Unless your dearest is stong and extremely handy, she won't like popping it in....

If you can live (and park) with a tow bar semi-permanently fitted, then the atera strada is the one to go for.
Light and very easy to fit.
But unless you train as a maniac, fitting the rack on the car and the bikes on the rack will keep you busy for 15minutes.
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #3065524th Jun 2008 6:17 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I also have the Atera Strada - great rack that slides away from the car to allow both upper and lower tailgate to open while the rack is attached (with bikes loaded).

highly reccomended.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #3066284th Jun 2008 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >