Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towbar Twin Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
higginbothamian

Germany 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Towbar Twin Electrics

Any tips on fitting twin electrics. Land Rover want 2 hours labour (£250). I don't really fancy the bill and wondered how easy a job it would be to fit them myself.

Cheers

Ian
 D3 - Out
Defender - On the way out
D4 - On the way in 

Post #4165346th Feb 2009 6:10 pm
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

Instructions are easy to follow and should take you 45 to 60 mins to fit. Have to remove rear nearside light (2 screws) fit N & S sockets behind panel on rear bumper then feed 2 sets of loom along rear bumper and over the dangley bits (harmonic dampers). If you can use a screwdriver you can save the labour costs. MAke sure loom is tucked safely out of way of dampers to avoid rubbing. Another part of loom plugs in behind rear light cluster (hardest part is removing existing blanking plugs) and then feed through a couple of gromits to outside of body panel.

Car electric wizardy will need to be 'updated' via dealer or autologic if you have rear pdc so that it recognises when trailer is attached so it doesn;t ping all the time. Also think this affects suspension height (ie won't let it go to off road height if trailer on) but not sure of this.

You can download instructions from LR official site but I can never remember the link.

10forCash can also offer home fit service (not sure how far south he goes) and The Large One at Yeovil will offer competitive price on parts if you dont have them

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Post #4165536th Feb 2009 6:25 pm
higginbothamian

Germany 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers, I'll give it a go. Independant dealer might be worth a shout if all else fails.
 D3 - Out
Defender - On the way out
D4 - On the way in 

Post #4165606th Feb 2009 6:33 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

higginbothamian wrote:
Cheers, I'll give it a go. Independant dealer might be worth a shout if all else fails.

It is really simple, no need for an indi unless you have lost an arm or something Thumbs Up

Previous advice is sound. Don't worry about the dealer part, until next service. If you do a search you will find my previous posts on this. But in short.

everything works as it should with and without trailer - without towbar being dealer enabled. What the dealer bit does is only the following:

When in low ratio, TR response can automatically adjust vehicle height in rock crawl etc. Dealer enabled electrics will stop this in low ratio - auto height adjust. This doesn;t happen automatically if you are in high ratio anyway. You can still manually adjust vehicle height in the usual way.

Rear PDC will work / disable without dealer intervention.

Did mine, start to finish in 30 Mins, you need a screwdriver and mind your eyes as a load of Censored will be fall off the underside of your car. PS drop the spare wheel down to gain loads of room Very Happy
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #4165836th Feb 2009 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Link to find accessory fitting instructions as downloadable pdf files

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp

Post #4165956th Feb 2009 8:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >