Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Towing a caravan - Manual or Auto?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Towing a caravan - Manual or Auto?

Which do you think is better for towing - a manual or Auto? Am still trying to decide the spec and the primary heavy duy use of the vehicle will be towing a 1800kg caravan as opposeed to off roading (except for the occasional adventure but this would be pure fun).

Which do you think is preferable - a auto or manual. I've had manuals for 18 years bar 1 year with an auto volvo 850 t5 (N reg). Considering a HSE or maybe a SE with extras as a manual. I'm thinking economy, driving performance/ experience and resale value.

My deliberations continue...!

Thanks

Paul

Post #264176th Nov 2005 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Sturge - the auto works brilliantly for me. I was previously a big fan of manuals (and in an underpowered vehicle like a Td5 disco it still has to be a manual) but the auto in the TDv6 has seduced me into a life long fan. It perfectly compliments the vehicles refinement, ease of use and fexibility. There is a fuel consumption penalty (our long term average is now 25mpg) but it is well worth it.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #264206th Nov 2005 7:55 am
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

My TD5 was also a manual and was not sure of which way to go with the D3, my primary use of the car is for towing. Having now driven the car for some time now I would not swap it for a manual although I do tend to use the command shift a lot when towing. One of the biggest advantages, I think, is when manoeuvering the caravan, especially in reverse. Go auto....
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #264216th Nov 2005 9:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

anthill wrote:
Go auto....

I agree with anthill,

I bought a manual Disco which I don't mind for normal driving but when towing I wish I had bought the auto box Crying or Very sad

I must admit that with a manual box and the caravan on the back, the disco really does struggle to pull away uphill (even a very slight hill) so I have to give it loads of revs, although I have found that putting it in to Desert TR programme helps.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #264246th Nov 2005 10:21 am
Kellogs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi Sturge

As you will be aware from your previous thread...Considering a disovery...I too am deliberating re spec etc. For your interest, earlier in the year I was invited to an off road demo of LRs by Harwoods. During one of the demos to show off the disco's off road ability (quite fantastic!) a discussion took place re the pros and cons of manual v auto. The LR employed test driver had no hesitation saying that he could not think of any reason why you would choose manual over the auto, except perhaps for reasons of fuel economy. The auto is so good and smooth....so guess what I will be getting![/quote]

Post #264256th Nov 2005 11:16 am
PJ

England 

Surge, never towed a caravan only car transporter, but the auto box is superb. Always had manual L.Rs in past but was not impressed with manual D3. O.k & bit of fun through the gears on open road but first to second not so smoooth or quick especially as it is a heavy motor, considered my old 300tdi & Renault master van have smoother boxes in that respect. After a lot of thought & as taffic is an issues these days it had to be an Auto & have not regretted it.

Must admit economy has been one reason for going manual in the past, surprisingly though if you drive sensibly you can in my experience get good mpg.
 TDV6 2004 Auto Zambezi Silver Badged SE not quite an S with Nav & Rear DVD  
Post #264286th Nov 2005 11:45 am
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Sturge
i have a d3 auto, had a td5 manual before, i tow a bailey senator twin axle caravan 2004 model loaded upto the hilt, bikes awning etc etc. i went to torbay last week from the midlands. this is the first time i have towed my caravan on any distance. god was i impressed with my d3 it was perfect.

i set the cruise control to about 63 mph just enough to get past all the lorries. it was simply pleasurable to drive, what i did not realise is with a auto it changes up and down the box whilst in cruise leaving me very little to do.

i used the tiptronic box to put it back into sixth a couple of times as it seemed to hold too long in 5th gear but that was no drama.

when we came off the end of the m5 we went up telegraph hill with very little effort passing all the other caravaners struggling there t**S off Laughing Laughing

i was averging 18.5 mpg when towing bearing in mind my d3 has only done 1400 miles i was very happy with that figure.

i would say go for an auto they are far better and i personally think auto's will sell better 2nd hand than manuals.

all the best shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #264306th Nov 2005 12:12 pm
Bernie

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Auto always

Hi Surge,
I must agree with all the others.I spent 20 years saying man is best.Last 4 Disco's have been auto and I will never go back.I tow 1900 kg caravan and my new Disco 3 is best ever.Only 1400 mls at present but amazed at first towing trip.Best tow ever.Go auto is my advice.

Disco3 TDV6 HSE Auto 06 model

Post #264336th Nov 2005 12:22 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks!

Auto it is then.

Paul

Post #264416th Nov 2005 1:03 pm
Pelyma

England 

Bit late to this, but auto is a revalation when towing, but not so clear cut off road where possibly manuals have it but increasingly autos are winning accolades from the likes of Simon Buck. At the end of the day you pay your money and takes your choice, but where I think auto wins is slow manoevering although from what I understand low ratio and resisting the urge to touch the clutch gets the same response on D3.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #264436th Nov 2005 2:58 pm
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
Bit late to this, but auto is a revalation when towing, but not so clear cut off road where possibly manuals have it but increasingly autos are winning accolades from the likes of Simon Buck. At the end of the day you pay your money and takes your choice, but where I think auto wins is slow manoevering although from what I understand low ratio and resisting the urge to touch the clutch gets the same response on D3.

I know Simon Buck well and he is trying to make an approach from a different angle, by using auto's. He however is happy in most configurations, even his yacht in Spain, so don't judge it by that. Auto's are good for some and manuals are good for others. Stress and strain on the driver can be reduced by auto's no dispute.

As for Marcs remark about pulling away. In fact the car will pull away in manual much better with a trailer if no gas is used until moving, just letting the clutch out gently , try it.

Post #264666th Nov 2005 5:10 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
As for Marcs remark about pulling away. In fact the car will pull away in manual much better with a trailer if no gas is used until moving, just letting the clutch out gently , try it.

BN,

I will try that next time Thumbs Up

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #264706th Nov 2005 5:40 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BN wrote:

BN,

I find this works great on most slopes and with a light car load. But on very steep hills and / or with more people inside, the D3 just struggles like hell to pull away without loads of revs or juddering. Using the anti-stall off road in Low is amazing - works every-time. In High it seems to not work so well and its very easy to stall the D3 while juggling the footbrake and clutch. Should I use the Park Brake to hold her back while the anti-satll starts is ticks ?

-s

Post #264756th Nov 2005 6:41 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
BN wrote:

BN,

I find this works great on most slopes and with a light car load. But on very steep hills and / or with more people inside, the D3 just struggles like hell to pull away without loads of revs or juddering. Using the anti-stall off road in Low is amazing - works every-time. In High it seems to not work so well and its very easy to stall the D3 while juggling the footbrake and clutch. Should I use the Park Brake to hold her back while the anti-satll starts is ticks ?

-s

We may have hit onto something by accident here. During the Wales weekend, my car was having a few problems pulling away on a flat level metalled surface in 1st high and I had to use 2000 rpm just to get away. It has never shown the problem before and I just thought it was the terrain and me being a bit slow with it.

I think it 'just' may have been something to do with traction control DSC. Has anyone tried pulling away with DSC out. Then the same ensuring it is in with a trailer on.

If it is out I think it will pull away fine, but if it is in, it may need the revs. It may be that you have to pull away with DSC out, then when moving switch it back in.

I am not sure, need to try it first, but it has me thinking now. I don't think I will be using a heavy trailer this week, but will let you know if I do and it works.

Post #264906th Nov 2005 8:49 pm
SimonW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I am a manual convert, both for every day and towing!

I have changed from a 4.6 Vogue RR Auto and for towing I found the RR auto used to change down on hills when on cruise control and the revs shoot up to 4000rpm and this was noisy and abrupt for those in the car.

The manual D3 for towing is very precise and fast, and will not change down on hills of course, but dig deep and use torque. I have also found as there is more of a flat torque curve with a Diesel there is little point changing down with the revs rising from say 1800rpm to 2800rpm as there is no more acceleration.

Also found in Cruise Control in 6th it will take all but the most steep hills like those heading out of Calais, then it would need to be in 5th, but then it will pull up most of the Calais hills at 75mph.

However a hill start like in Lyme is more difficult and I use low, as changing to high on the go is easy, you just need to be in N.

An advantage of a manual is the is NO hesitation when pulling away from a junction, it just goes.
 Nov '54' TDV6 SE Manual 25,000 miles - Excellent !! Don't buy an Auto until you have driven a Manual !!!!

'89 Classic 3.5i
Prev:
'00 4.6 RR Vogue,
'98 300Tdi 90 CSW,
'99 Freelander 

Post #2833317th Nov 2005 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >