Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Towing electrics - Fridge power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Towing electrics - Fridge power

My Thetford fridge (2008 Sterling Elite Searcher) shows an error 10 when towing. This means there is insufficient (or none) power to fridge whilst connected.
Reading other forums, it seems some towing electrics have a variable relay for the power to the fridge (so as not to drain the battery). I believe the electrics on my 2007 HSE are OEM.....can anyone tell me whether this would mean I have such a variable relay......and if so.....where is it-what does it look like and how do I turn it up? Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE 06 with all the bells and whistles Smile
New engine at 80k!
Intelligent FBH
Pulling Sterling Continental 630 

Post #114897227th Aug 2013 11:29 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If I remember rightly the D3 OEM electrics come with an extra little fuse box accessible from the left hand boot cubby hole. One of those fuses would be for the fridge circuit in the 12S socket I would have thought (because of the high load on that circuit). Gotta be worth a quick check of those fuses first?

Assuming that you have 12n and 12s electrics rather than 13pin, pin 6 is the fridge live and pin 7 the fridge neutral in the white socket, put a meter across them and make sure you are getting a good voltage (with engine running). Socket pin out below:

Post #114897828th Aug 2013 12:00 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

On the 7 pin version of plugs there were issues with excessive heat on the earth pin due to fridges, this was overcome I believe by using one of the other pins as an additional earth point, pay be worth looking into this.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #114900528th Aug 2013 7:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I have the same situation with my tin tent.

I queried the problem with other caravaners, and the general opinion was that it is very rare to come across electrics on cars that are set up to run the fridge from the car when towing. They thought it was to avoid the issue of car batteries being drained when the car engine wasn't running, or overloading the electrics on the car.

I had wondered if by installing a second battery on my D3 this problem could be overcome if the electrics could be set up so that when the ignition was turned off, then the caravan fridge would default to taking power from the additional battery only, and leave the main car battery in a charged state?

Perhaps some techie will come along and give us the definitive answer.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #114901328th Aug 2013 7:21 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

My old D3 and both the D4's are set up for the fridge to operate on the tin tent. When the car is running the fridge electrics are live as soon as the car is turned off and locked the fridge electrics go dead, cannot remeber if they go dead with just the ignition off or if the car has toi be asleep/locked.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #114901628th Aug 2013 7:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My understanding (non-techie) is that if a fridge is connected directly to a car battery it will drain it in a very short time Surprised to avoid this, a relay is incorporated in that circuit and operated by the 'exciter' wire on the alternator, in this way the fridge can only draw current from the vehicle battery when the engine is actually running and the alternator is charging - ie if the ignition is switched on but engine not running the fridge will not operate thus safeguarding the vehicle battery from discharge Smile

Post #114902628th Aug 2013 8:20 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

my D3 has OEM electrics and the fridge was fine - works fine on the D4 as well

I would start with checking the power from the tow socket first.

there should also be fuses in the caravan , usually tucked away right at the front inside the front cupboard on the floor
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #114903128th Aug 2013 8:29 am
al cope

England 

In over 20odd years of towing, I've never had an issue with the fridge electrics, either on 12S or 13 pin plugs, but that doesn't mean there cant be problems, and on 12S the biggest issue is the earth return for the fridge.

Before that though, the 12v for the fridge should always be supplied by an ignition controlled feed. i.e, one that switches off when the ignition is turned off, so that the car battery doesnt get drained.

This is/can be done in a few different ways, a voltage sensing relay, or just a plain and simple relay that is switched on when the engine is running.

So - first, check that you've 12v on the 12S or 13pin plug, and that this goes off when you switch the ign off. Then check all the pins in you plug and socket are tight (dont wobble), and are clean, as the earth issue is caused by a high resistant joint/connection (on my mates Galaxy this high resistance caused so much heat it melted the center pin plastics on the 12S plug).

If all this is OK, then ign fed 12V should be reaching the 'van, so check fuses and habitation relay in the 'van is working OK.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #114904128th Aug 2013 9:06 am
northernmonkeyjones

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Another possibility if you have correct wiring is that the fridge relay, which is located in the caravan is faulty.

Power switching to the fridge is carried out by the caravan not the car.

The relay in the van detects voltage on the "ign on" pin from the car and then supplies power to the fridge via the constant 12v pin, so it will only come on when the car is running.

My thetford fridge shows error 10 when hooked up until the car is running then the blue light stops flashing and all is well.

Post #114930528th Aug 2013 8:27 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Towing electrics - Fridge power

Eyeball wrote:
Reading other forums, it seems some towing electrics have a variable relay for the power to the fridge (so as not to drain the battery).

This is more for an aftermarket towing electrics kit as said above it's so the supply is only live while the engine is running (ie. the voltage is over 13v) the voltage that the relay switches on at is adjustable (variable).

Post #114935128th Aug 2013 9:19 pm
DWH

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi new to the forum but i think i'm right in saying your fridge should only work when the engine is running and is connected on the charging curcuit so it can supply up to 40amps but as a previous post the earth pin often gets hot and starts to melt the 7 pin on the S socket. The extra earth pin may help. Not sure but there is a slight variation on some of the S pin wiring.

Post #114939528th Aug 2013 10:35 pm
Ajpf5

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just had my twin sockets converted to single and they changed the fuse rating as mentioned above. I think 20 amps now.

Just a thought and I am sure somebody can confirm but, if your tin is 2008 with ats then I thought it uses the same power source?? Does that work?

Thumbs Up

Post #114940228th Aug 2013 11:10 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

northernmonkeyjones.

Now you mention that, I have realised that I have never checked the fridge operation with the car engine running when hooked up. Thud
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #114943029th Aug 2013 7:37 am
northernmonkeyjones

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Ner Ner

have a look next time you set off it should be working.... Thumbs Up

Post #114964529th Aug 2013 5:15 pm
DWH

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Not sure but i have been told that the new 13 pin socket is now part of your mot
Big Cry

Post #114965729th Aug 2013 5:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >