Post Reply  Down to end
Page 36 of 38 <123 ... 35 363738>
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

thanks raadar

MB are sending me the instructions as well

dj

Post #77938328th Mar 2011 3:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

MB quality control is not the greatest on these - when being made as the welds cool the two tongues that the nylon bush fits between and the bolt goes through can close up so there is not enough room to fit the lot into. Doesn't happen to every hitch but did with mine.

When fitting in the MB workshop they have a tool to spread these slightly in a press but in the workshop it is unlikely you can spread them enough. Grinding off the dags, the paint and little metal on the inside of the tongues and taking a bit off the ends off the nylon bush worked OK - but clearing MB are not checking their products for this issue before despatch.

Nevertheless it is a great product but fitting may take a bit longer than expected for some of them.

Garry

Post #77938728th Mar 2011 5:27 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
MB Hitch Installation Instructions

I have the installation instructions on file at http://www.lawriebeales.com/files/mbhitch.pdf
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #77940828th Mar 2011 9:19 am
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Laurie

have just completed a 2000 km run to the Flinders Ranges in Sth Oz - great trip.
Hitch was fantastic - rather it was normal, where as the LR was NOT normal in application.
Had to invest in a lower offset trailer tongue even though my off road van is very high.

great peace of mind

dj

Post #7840219th Apr 2011 1:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dukemasterpro

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
missing ball and tongue

Wondering if anyone knows if the D4 in 2009 came with the ball and tongue bit to fit into the receiver? Thinking its not a standard item and we are about to rent a camper trailer to try at Easter. Hopefully it's not an expensive little extra Evil or Very Mad and if we do get one that an off-road camper will tow ok on dirt roads, bitumen and very mild off-road stuff in the Flinders. Razz
 D4 Zermatt Silver TDV6: Premium Nav, Front Park, Bi-xenon, Hi-Ice, 7 Seat, dark as legal window tint. MAXTRAX, small shovel, snatch and shackles. ARB Portable Compressor, Bushranger X-Jack. Lovely new set of Cooper AT3's ready for action…Opposite Lock Colour Coded Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, Traxide Dual Battery System, Rhino Platform Rack & Accessories  
Post #91481327th Mar 2012 11:46 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Super Crap stock Hayman Rease toungue and balls to suit. A lot cheaper than OEM. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #91486627th Mar 2012 1:37 pm
dukemasterpro

Thanks CaverD3 Thumbs Up
 D4 Zermatt Silver TDV6: Premium Nav, Front Park, Bi-xenon, Hi-Ice, 7 Seat, dark as legal window tint. MAXTRAX, small shovel, snatch and shackles. ARB Portable Compressor, Bushranger X-Jack. Lovely new set of Cooper AT3's ready for action…Opposite Lock Colour Coded Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, Traxide Dual Battery System, Rhino Platform Rack & Accessories  
Post #91486827th Mar 2012 1:39 pm
dukemasterpro

dukemasterpro wrote:
Thanks CaverD3 Thumbs Up

Fortunately Johno's Campers have a spare tongue / ball to suit, so can borrow this - much cheaper than SuperC and even more cheaper than Trivett's. Happy days Very Happy - just need to get an adapter for the trailer lights and apparently get it rewired?? Rolling Eyes
Post #91523828th Mar 2012 12:15 pm
groveraus

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Mitch Bros Hitch supply

Spoke with Mitch Bros the other day, due to the demand for their hitch they were out. Got a hold of Davis Performance in Annangrove, Sydney, they have some in stock and at a really good price, surprisingly good customer service from them. Getting it sent to Johno's Campertrailers in Queanbeyan who are doing the fitting and wiring a lots of stuff for me. By the way they have fantastic fix for the LED flashing lights.

Post #9165802nd Apr 2012 5:29 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
Johno's Campertrailers in Queanbeyan .............................. wiring a lots of stuff for me. By the way they have fantastic fix for the LED flashing lights.

Nothing on their website about that.
 regards
Peter

Post #9276403rd May 2012 8:10 am
groveraus

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

True enough , nothing on their website.

The reason I know is that I was about to buy a D3 and saw that Johno's had one parked in their driveway. I went in and started chatting. As it turns out they are really lovely people and were happy to answer my questions.

On the LED flashing problem; they had experienced and tried for 6 months to work out the fix.

Don't quote me completely here but as it worked out most people attempt to put in the 12v load resister and here lies the problem. Something about the D3 supplies 32amps or ohm's but the lights only what a small amount (2amps) so the standard resistor does not know how to deal with the excess load so the lights continue to flash. And this is where I might be misquoted; Adding in a larger capacity resister is the key, 24v; 36amp or ohm. Whatever they did and they corrected the auto electrician before he fitted it to my car, did the trick and I have lights that work.

Am I happy, well I didn’t know any different, so no Confused . Should I be, well yes, I didn’t have the go through the added cost of anguish that everyone else has had to Very Happy .

Don't believe me, call Rod and Fiona at Johnno's Camper Trailers and Horse Floats - Canberra ACT.

Post #9276513rd May 2012 8:46 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Hitch

Hey CaverD3 - how are you travelling?

It's hard to believe, but it's 6 years since we started this thread and you did all that work to eventually convince Mitchell Bros to produce their wonderful hitch!!! Reckon there are a fair number of Disco drivers on the road today that have you to thank for that.

I'm still getting people ask me about it. We were recently on hols touring thru Tasmania's Lakes District and I had a gentleman in a new Rangie Sport engage me in a long discussion about it.

Up to 73,000K's now with almost zero problems and still on the original set of BFG AT's. traded up to an AORC Quantum last year which, when fully laden w 300L of water etc is around 2,000Kgs, so the Disco gets a fair workout - a lot of it towing and quite a lot of it off road.

Lease runs out towards the end of this year and it's going to be a really hard call as to what the next step is as I really can't justify (or afford) the best part of $100K to repalce it with a D4.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #9297909th May 2012 12:22 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Martin

Thanks, nice if Mitchell Bros were more suportive when I was developing the air up system. Rolling Eyes But LRA and Overlander had a hand in that too.

Glad yours is going well. Depending on the ballon payment your D3 might be a good buy for you. Idea

You can get a better price on the D4 though.
Just ordered one. Arrives July: 3.0L SE, White, active diff, adaptive lights, high beam assist, hi-line stereo (touch screen), surround cameras. For just over 90K on road. However I think I may not get to drive it much as SWMBO has claimed it. Rolling Eyes
You could get the 2.7L with seven seats and leather pack for lot less. <$78
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9298139th May 2012 1:18 pm
Neil Pettersen

Were you not tempted to go for a ( dare I say .... Shocked ) interesting colour ?
You're stuck with black interior in GD canine world though . How many Km's on
the old D3 now A ?

Post #93010010th May 2012 8:16 am
Neil Pettersen

Re: Hitch

Martin Krutli wrote:
I really can't justify the best part of $100K to repalce it with a D4.

There's way too much gouging in this vehicle bracket , considering the value of
our currency for years now. When you compare apples with apples ( can take some time
to wade through for a true comparison ) and the taxless prices , it's a cash cow for the
importer. I was looking at UK Merc prices last week , and E Class start at Aus$ 45000 OTR !
in a 20% GST country ; that's a poxy Territory Diesel and a Smeg fridge here. WTF Martin !

Post #93010210th May 2012 8:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 36 of 38 <123 ... 35 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >