Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 38 123 ... 363738>
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing Hitch

Hi All, I'm a new member and still contemplating buying a Disco. I've been following the threads for a while and most of my questions have been answered. The one big issue for me at the moment though is the weird tow bar arrangement. I tow an off-road camper trailer (Camp-o-matic M3) which requires a Treg hitch height of a little over 500mm for a level aspect. As I see it the standard Disco system has 3 serious flaws:
1. The quick release part that fixes to the inbuilt towbar is way too low and would impact on departure angles
2. The Hitch part that slides into the square base is not high enough for the camper trailer
3. It appears that with the towing equipment connected it would be very difficult to remove the spare tyre.
I know various members have adapted/custom built their own solutions to this problem, but does anyone know of a commercially available solution in Australia? The standard LR equipment just is not a viable option it seems.

Hope someone has found the answer to this.

Post #14891517th Apr 2007 10:21 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The towbar that I bought is comercially available, but probably not in Oz. If you like, we could ship you one over, or get your local dealer in touch with the manufacturer here? Brucehun managed to get one over to the UK for someone
It weighs quite a bit, but is quite cheap. Have a look at:

Post #14895817th Apr 2007 12:58 pm
Big Kev

Australia 

I would be interested in getting one of those hitches displayed, if anybody else is.We may be able to arrange a group buy.
Cheers Kev

Post #14921818th Apr 2007 12:44 am
White Disco

Australia 

Err. I've seen smaller couplings on railway vehicles. Laughing
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #14921918th Apr 2007 12:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

Laughing
Yeah, you are right RED, but its helluva strong!

Post #14923618th Apr 2007 8:45 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I could be interested in one, depending on price and shipping.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #14923718th Apr 2007 8:46 am
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

likewise for me

Post #14924718th Apr 2007 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

I think we paid about R3k per unit. The shipment will probably double that price. That said, its the only solution I have found so far to clearance and height issues.
I have asked Karl at BRS to send a price for 5 units, as well as the wieght, so you can work out what the shipping will cost. He will also advise whether they already have a stockist in Oz.

I am sure you can buy the towball/recovery point in Oz, so this should cut down the shipping weight.

Let me know how many you need & we can go further.

(I am not affiliated with the manufacturer of these towbars & will not profit from this transaction)

Post #14927118th Apr 2007 10:19 am
Baben

Have a look under "General" at the new Witter towbar - this might well be a better option, depending on the height and clearance

Post #14929318th Apr 2007 11:34 am
jh972

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I originally enquired from Karl back in January. It took me many many phone calls to get an answer to my many emails, but last week I finally got a partial answer, after 3 months!
Price is R2195 ($373) and freight, door to door (courier) is R2759 ($468)
Package weight is 9 kg, so it's not that heavy.
This pricing is without the hook part shown in the photo.
I have the same towbar height problem, and wanted the vertical plate welded on so the bottom was flush, and so it extended higher, rather than below the towbar as shown. That question wasn't answered.
Also, the vertical ball weight is carried only by the bolts you see at the bottom - there is no catch like on the standard hitch.
Look at your car and see where those bolts appear to go, and see if you think it's strong enough. I think it is, but have some reservations.
Anyway, I've held of waiting for divine inspiration.
If a lot were sent in one lot they could be a lot cheaper, but any more than three at a time and we'd have to pay duty!
Now that we've got the price, who definitely wants one?
And would you like your vertical plate flush at the top (as shown) or at the bottom (as I'd like)

John

Post #14929518th Apr 2007 11:53 am
Baben

Vertical weight

Actually there is a part that goes all the way up into the hitch slot like the standard bar, as well as a locking tongue that ensures this doesn't fall out, as well as the 2 bolts you see in the picture, so the vertical weight is spread over quite an area. There is also a large bolt that attaches to the original recovery point. Have a look at the pics taken from insdie the spare wheel well:

and the method of attaching to the existing recovery point:

I have towed my rather large, heavy trailer with this over some interesting terrain, and clearance was never an issue. I also wanted to cut the lower half of the vertical plate off, but Karl talked me out of it. I'm actually glad he did, cos the clearance is fine. You will touch down your exhaust pipes and spare wheel at the same time this bar hits the ground.

the trailer now sits perfectly close to level with the D3, even with the STT's on and the vehicle at standard height.:

here you can also see the clearance at the rear. apologies for the poor picture quality, they were mostly taken with my N80, which is a great phone, but a crap camera...

Post #14930818th Apr 2007 12:31 pm
jh972

Thanks very much for that Baben - just the sort of info I was trying to get.
Now I'm keen to get this attachment.
It wasn't so much that I wanted to cut the plate off at the bottom, but that I wanted it higher at the top. My trailer coupling is a little higher than yours appears in the photo, and I need it just about as high as I can and still be under the tailgate when it is open.
Thanks for the pictures. (BTW, I reckon my N80 takes OK pics )

Post #14933318th Apr 2007 1:01 pm
Baben

That's what the forum is for!
I'll measure the ball height if you like, bearing in mind I have the coopers on at the moment, which will give about 13mm extra as far as I recall.
BTW, the ball alone doesn't foul the tailgate, but once the trailer is hitched the tailgate will touch it unless the trailer coupling is turned slightly to the side. I doubt you want it higher.

Like I said earlier, I don't stand to benefit if anyone buys Karl's towbars, but I think its a good product, and the man gave me good service.
Can't help it he doesn't necessarily respond to Aussies Whistle
Maybe something to do with the cricket?

Post #14935218th Apr 2007 1:56 pm
Baben

Karl says he will discount the bars by 25% for a purchase of 5 or more. he quoted the same prices as jh972, ie.

"RRP of towbar without ball is R 2,195.00 excl. VAT
Airfreight on a single unit was quoted as R 2,758.80"

So Maybe you should try buy 5 or more together from Karl and save a bunch on shipping, assuming one of you can co-ordinate once they get there.

Trying to get hm to join the forum - Karl if you do then you have to donate to Martin, 'cos this is where I heard of your towbar too.

Post #14936318th Apr 2007 2:23 pm
jh972

OK, Well I'm ready to order, and will as soon as I get at least two other takers. I'm not so much concerned about the discount off the already good price, as trying to get the freight cheaper, and avoiding the GST & duty that kicks in at $1000 personal import value.
So Martin; Sijui; CaverD3;Big Kev - any takers?

BTW Baben, my towbar connection is different - I have an off road block type coupling (Tregg) and the fitting on the towbar needs to be at the same height as the centerline of the ball - not under it. Think that accounts for me chasing the extra height.

Post #14958018th Apr 2007 9:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 38 123 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >