Post #89850117th Feb 2012 7:49 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I deliver boat across Europe, up to the 3.5 !!! Auto no agreement

Post #89850917th Feb 2012 8:16 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Curly wrote:
I would love to know what your procedure is when changing from lo to hi with a D3 as im worried i might end up crunching gears Big Cry Thumbs Up

Simple.

Slip into neutra, press the low gear button. All done electronically Very Happy l
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #89857917th Feb 2012 10:51 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I suppose there is a bit of a stigma in the UK regarding Auto's. In the old days Auto gearboxes could never match a manual, now I think they are almost as good as a manual.

The new 6 speed semi is fantastic. Now there is an 8 speed comming out which I'll not be able to try for a few years. But that should be even better.

Don't think Auto or Manual, think Gearbox with or without a clutch. How often do you need to change gear, how far do you drive. I moved over to the dark side 12 years ago. I dive my wifes manual, but we both prefer the one without a clutch way much better. Don't forget with cruise control with manual you still have do do work.

Like F1, which I am an avid fan. I doubt they would want to go back to manuals Exclamation
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #89858317th Feb 2012 10:59 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

That I believe is a Larson 26 or similar max 2.5t i have towed much larger boats than that all the way to the med or further, you most defiantly do not need low range for any movement
I towed a 2 t airstream caravan twin axle back from Barcelona a couple of months ago, no brakes on the caravan as it had the USA electric brakes, coming down mountains into Bilbalo, used manual command and did not use the brakes on the downhill section
The disco is a brilliant tow vehicle auto I believe is better for if nothing else reversing tight positioning.

Post #89859317th Feb 2012 11:12 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

MadJax wrote:
I suppose there is a bit of a stigma in the UK regarding Auto's. In the old days Auto gearboxes could never match a manual, now I think they are almost as good as a manual.Exclamation

They are better Thumbs Up
Who wants a DIY gearbox when you can have an auto? Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #89860517th Feb 2012 11:49 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
MadJax wrote:
I suppose there is a bit of a stigma in the UK regarding Auto's. In the old days Auto gearboxes could never match a manual, now I think they are almost as good as a manual.Exclamation

They are better Thumbs Up
Who wants a DIY gearbox when you can have an auto? Whistle

People who like to have a knob in their hand Whistle
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #89861918th Feb 2012 12:53 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

sj9011 wrote:
That I believe is a Larson 26 or similar max 2.5t i have towed much larger boats than that all the way to the med or further, you most defiantly do not need low range for any movement
I towed a 2 t airstream caravan twin axle back from Barcelona a couple of months ago, no brakes on the caravan as it had the USA electric brakes, coming down mountains into Bilbalo, used manual command and did not use the brakes on the downhill section
The disco is a brilliant tow vehicle auto I believe is better for if nothing else reversing tight positioning.

Yes that was a Larson, quoted as 2,650kg dry with petrol engine, that one had a heavier diesel in it plus air con, holding tank, anchor, chain and other kit. If you include some fuel and water it is very soon right on the limit, you obviously can't arrive and launch with no fuel in it or expect the tank to be totally empty when you recover it, so a margin has to be allowed for that. Of course you then have the hefty twin axled trailer so right up to the 3.5T limit, some people forget the weight is dry and forget to add on the daily kit you leave on it when towing, plus the liquids.

I don't care what people say about towing, but the clever bit is stopping, all you have in some cases between you and death is the rubber on the wheel between you and the road, add to that the chunky defender tyres and a wet road, well that means you can't afford to lose concentration. As for towing I would use low range for manoevering, it was less stress on the clutch and the short wheel base acted like a tractor unit, the weight balance and set up is critical to ensure correct weight on the hitch. The Defender was specially adapted power wise for the job and had enormous torque with much bigger Twisted Performance Air flo Sports Intercooler, straight through Tornado Sports stainless exhaust and chipped with power raised from: 122 Bhp to 155 Bhp, 90 KW to 114 KW and torque raised from: 221 Lbft to 269 Lbft, 300 Nm to 365 Thumbs Up

Post #89873418th Feb 2012 4:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >