Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Towing Mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Tried my mirrors on D3 but not happy with the fit don't want problems when towing so ordered a set of Milenco Grand Aero which most people have. Ticking of items from my list first outing Ice Feast not long to go. Already got and fitted fixed tow bar brought from fellow member. Thumbs Up

Post #18989868th Jan 2018 2:41 pm
GEOBLRDISCO4

United Kingdom 

Hi, I've heard the milenco are not a great fit with 2016 D4 because the wing mirror style changed. Milenco told me the grand aero 3 would be fine. So its genuine land rover or milenco. ? ?

What do people think, We have just bought our first van after a few years with tent and trailer, another mountain of equipment to get. Prefer to get the best thing first and not have to change.

Cheers

George

Post #190379820th Jan 2018 9:34 am
Washwipe

England 

Have a read through this Thumbs Up

https://www.disco4.com/forum/towing-mirror...1879.html?

Post #190381620th Jan 2018 10:33 am
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

meloyelo78 wrote:
In Aus, I replaced the standard mirrors with Clearview ones. They are terrific and look OK (I'm used to the Big Ears look). No setup needed - just pull them out when needed and push them in when not.

I have two rear cameras on the van but Aus laws require that you can see both far rear corners of the van in the mirrors, regardless of any cameras. Tried strap-on tow mirrors but they blow off too easily by oncoming road trains.

More info at http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/

Cheers
Pete

Just watched a couple of vids on these products Thumbs Up
Looks good Tackle.
However the shipping costs could run expensive for us Brits....... Big Cry

Post #190382920th Jan 2018 11:15 am
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a 09 D3 got a pair of Milenco Grand Aero I had not tried them before first use on Thursday only 15 miles max 55 mph first tow with the new disco but found that they moved about a bit. As this was most popular on here trusted their experience might be how I had them set but possibly the smaller more aero type might be better.

Post #190384520th Jan 2018 11:40 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There will be a problem with the Clearview mirrors in the UK (and probably continental Europe as well).

There is an maximum amount that mirrors are allowed to project beyond the side of the vehicle, which used to be 12 inches (but technically that has been metricated now). The Land Rover mirror already sticks out for most of that, so the towing mirrors have to be removed when travelling without a trailer. It looks like the Clearview is above that limit when closed.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #190384920th Jan 2018 11:51 am
J.J.B.

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm not sure if the Clearview mirrors fall foul of the law and have a pair fitted to my Disco 4 (MY16) but it is a concern. Clarification, or at least discussion, from this forum would be very useful.

The width of the car is 2022mm but its widest point is not where the mirrors are attached, this appears to be the rear wheel arch. The distance between the Clearview mirrors is 2480mm and I'm assuming they are square to the car so protrude equally on each side.

The difference is 458mm so, divided by two, means the Clearview mirrors protrude 22.9cm from the widest point of the car - not the fitting point. I've read Regulation 33 (7) Construction and Use and have understood (as best I can!) that the law used to be a limit of 20cm but was changed to 25cm for all vehicles manufactured from 2007 onwards. 12 inches is 30.5cm so that would be even better but I think I could argue that the Clearview mirrors are acceptable.

It's not all upside, however, the mirrors don't fold and aren't heated although I did go for the ones with LED indicators that work well. The thing I find most hard to get to terms with is the way they obscure my vision at mini roundabouts and it always requires at least a double-take before being sure I didn't miss anything.

Ironically I haven't towed the tin-tent yet but feel sure I'll get on with them more easily than the Milenco Grand Aeros I have...especially when fitting solo! We pretty much use the Disco as a dedicated towing vehicle and our van is 2.28m wide so I'm sure this is where the Clearview mirrors will come into their own.

Post #199085911th Oct 2018 5:59 am
Washwipe

England 

My take on it is, the D4 mirrors already when folded out are at the maximum allowed width beyond the wheel arch, actual folded out mirror is 275mm, the clearview mirror is 410mm in a non towing position 135mm wider than a 2016 D4 mirror Question

You will be catching a few Mamil’s around the back of the head.

Post #199100411th Oct 2018 4:46 pm
J.J.B.

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is where the confusion comes in. The prevailing legislation states:

(c)where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror is less than 2 m above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 20 cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, in a case where the vehicle is drawing a trailer which has an overall width greater than that of the drawing vehicle, more than 20 cm beyond the overall width of the trailer;

(d)where the bottom edge of an exterior mirror, which complies with the requirements of Community Directive 2003/97 or 2005/27 or ECE Regulation 46.02, is less than 2 m above the road surface when the vehicle is laden, that mirror shall not project more than 25 cm beyond the overall width of the vehicle or, in the case where the vehicle is drawing a trailer which has an overall width greater than that of the drawing vehicle, more than 25 cm beyond the overall width of the trailer;

You have identified the current D4 mirror is already in breach of the law if it extends to 275mm, beyond the legal 250mm limit. I'm not sure how to measure the mirror fixing point as it relates to the overall width of the vehicle, other than the calculations I've already made.

Post #199103411th Oct 2018 6:42 pm
Washwipe

England 

No that is not what I stated, I stated the mirror when folded out is 275mm, this is the measurement from its fixing point on the door, not its protrusion from the wheel arch which is the widest point of the vehicle. The mirror is at its legal limit.
If the Clearview mirror is 410mm from the same points it is illegal to have fitted if you are not towing.

Post #199104111th Oct 2018 6:54 pm
J.J.B.

Thanks. So to be clear, you are stating that the distance between the mounting point of the mirror and the maximum width of the car is 25m each side?

Post #199105511th Oct 2018 7:36 pm
Washwipe

England 

Yes, the mirror is extending 25mm wider than the widest point of the vehicle which in this case is the wheel arch, any mirror extending further when not towing would be illegal. A big headed mirror such as the Clearview, I would expect to create a very big blind spot, could easily lose a small car, cyclist/motor cyclist, then your for the high jump.

Post #199106211th Oct 2018 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >