Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Towing poll
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Would you tow a car on a trailer regularly with a LR detachable tow bar?
I've never done it, but I probably would
27%
 27%  [16]
I have done it, but I wouldn't recommend it (please explain why)
8%
 8%  [5]
I have done it and it's totally fine (please expand)
43%
 43%  [25]
I wouldn't (please explain why)
17%
 17%  [10]
You really shouldn't!! (please explain why)
3%
 3%  [2]
Total Votes: 58

James W

United Kingdom 

IainMac82 wrote:
To conclude this from my perspective after thinking over the weekend;
    - I found this thread and the poll results full of mixed messages.
    - If I was towing something small and of little value (tip trailer or similar), I would stay removable.
    - I'm lazy, and cannot be bothered taking the removable tow bar on and off the car each time.
    - Whatever I use needs to be a 'fit and forget'.
    - Whilst I suspect a lot of the 'don't do it' advice on here is internet folklore, mixed in with a little bit of scaremongering, with a distinct lack of hard evidence, I have invested a lot of money in my track car, so it's probably not worth risking for the sake of £200.
As a consequence, I've ordered a new fixed setup from Witter and will be taking off the removable, replacing the keys, and listing for sale.

Thanks all
Iain

Sounds like a completely rational decision to me. Good luck with the fitting!
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #217657928th Sep 2020 1:05 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Here in Australia the detachable fitting is rated at 3500kg tow and 350kg ball weight and generally we do not have issues - if there was we would have a safety recall and there is none. The detachable part id different to your swan neck in that, our detachable part is two components - the bit that plugs into the cross member is essentially a 2" receiver to which the 2" bar plugs into.

Main issue is particularly with the D3 version plough that it can develop impact cracks from hitting rocks when off road.

Post #217674029th Sep 2020 4:01 am
DiscoDB (Aus)

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

G’day all. Similar discussion taking place on the AULRO forum at present. As Garry notes ours is a different style but they way it fits into the chassis is the same.

Having now left mine fitted for over 5 years without removing I found it had jammed on as well. Thought it was the lock which had jammed, but after using force on the handle to get it out, realised it was the vertical pin and ball bearing mechanism that seizes up and the ball bearing gets jammed against the pin (which won’t move upwards). This stops you withdrawing the plunger fully.

Once removed, freed everything up and lubricated it again. Found the hitch receiver had no wear and was still in good condition.

Definitely now suggest not to leave fitted if not being used - and as already noted when fitting always make sure the plunger locks in place properly. Of course in Australia we always use safety chains attached back to the car - even with braked trailers.

Otherwise, I have no concerns with it.

Post #21845965th Nov 2020 11:24 am
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ah safety chains - such a sensible idea

definitely better than letting a trailer free roll down the road with its dubious cable operated brakes

Electric trailer brakes so much better than dubious cable operated brakes.

At some point the EU market will catch on to the enlightened ways of the rest of the world in terms of trailer set up
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #21847085th Nov 2020 5:56 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have done but would not recommend it, I think the removable tow hook is a great innovation, but it has its limits.
I would not do it because I don’t want the cost of a new fixed tow bar AND THE COST OF A NEW REAR CROSS MEMBER Like I had on the D3.
Ultimately they are not suitable for regular heavy towing and as LR have now put a disclaimer on them you could be liable for a very heavy fine and even imprisonment in the worst case scenario.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #21847275th Nov 2020 6:50 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I’ve occasionally towed large twin-wheel trailers with the removable bar, and if I needed to move a car as a one-off I probably would. If I was going to move cars regularly, or a horse box then I’d get a fixed one no question.

Post #21847315th Nov 2020 7:04 pm
CheshireDan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I bought a fixed LR one just before I bought the car as it was a good price on Ebay, as well as towing a horse box its good protection for car park idiots.

Post #21848936th Nov 2020 8:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >