Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing/Wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

i picked up my disco at the end of june 05 ... so 5 months old.
hmmm .. my dealer didn't mention the wiring though ....

maybe one day they'll be all consistent .... Question
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #3015129th Nov 2005 4:52 am
brian

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I rang my dealer today to ask about the tow bar issue, they don't know anything about it. They did info me that shipping of tow bars was stopped, then started again, but couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me why. So given that LR say its ok to tow, i'm off to the GOR this weekend with 2t caravan in tow. Both there and back i hope...

The wiring was an issue for late '04 early '05 imports i believe, some had wrong connections, yours should be ok i'd suspect.
 Brian
TDV6 SE 

Post #3036630th Nov 2005 11:08 am
SMK

Australia 
LR Tow Hitch

Hi to all, I am new to posting on the foruim but I have been reading the forum for some time and thought i could finally add some info on my exploits in adding bits to my Disco.

Towbars

I have spent approximately 3 weeks ringing and visiting just about every towbar place in Perth trying to get an acceptable solution to the P_ss P__r design effort by LR for a tow hitch. Like others I have found the standard tow hitch to be way too low for my camper trailer. The best solution I have come too (as probably have others) is to get an adjustable Haymen Reese (caravan type) head and tongue. This is actually a neat solution that fixes the problem, maintains ball and towing loads and stays within LR height requirements - but it is a bloody heavy piece of kit. (built like the proverbial brick s__thouse) - but it works.

Wiring

I have had to rewire my trailer plug on the car to allow charging of the camper batteries from the car. I have a kimberley kamper and they use pin 2 for charge whereas the disco is wired pin 5, no big deal just another issue to deal with. Apparently this is quite common among a number of makes.

Tyres/Rims

As previously noted in some threads Performance Wheels make a 17" rim to suit. I have had some negative feedback about Performance rims in general - any comments?. Given this feedback I made some other inquiries and I am currently looking at geeting a test fit for some Gmax rims at Tyrepower and getting a check done for some Speedy rims. Priice seems to be constant at around $350 a piece. Anybody found anything else or a better price. ORE think they may have a Pro Comp 17x9 rim to suit as well.

ARB

For those who may not know. ARB now have the bullbar available (see site) as well as dual battery and compressor fittings. I have badgered most other aftermarket types and all have no stuff and no plans to have gear except for TJM who are planning/releasing an alloy bar. Fortunately for us we don't need much.

Post #312586th Dec 2005 6:49 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: LR Tow Hitch

SMK wrote:
Hi to all, I am new to posting on the foruim but I have been reading the forum for some time and thought i could finally add some info on my exploits in adding bits to my Disco.

Tyres/Rims

As previously noted in some threads Performance Wheels make a 17" rim to suit. I have had some negative feedback about Performance rims in general - any comments?. Given this feedback I made some other inquiries and I am currently looking at geeting a test fit for some Gmax rims at Tyrepower and getting a check done for some Speedy rims. Priice seems to be constant at around $350 a piece. Anybody found anything else or a better price. ORE think they may have a Pro Comp 17x9 rim to suit as well.

ARB

For those who may not know. ARB now have the bullbar available (see site) as well as dual battery and compressor fittings. I have badgered most other aftermarket types and all have no stuff and no plans to have gear except for TJM who are planning/releasing an alloy bar. Fortunately for us we don't need much.

SMK,

What negative feedback have you had on the Performance rims? Quality, durability? I'm had mine for about 6-7 months now and the only issue I see is the brake dust has pitted the clear coat (mainly on the front rims). The original painted finish is not uniform like the OEM's but after the first trip they got pretty scuffed up so I don't really care.

You may need to be very careful about fitting 9" wide rims if the offset isn't suitable they could foul the suspension - the Performance Wheel offset and 8" width seem perfectly okay with maximum articulation.

By the way, 4x4 Safari will be releasing a snorkel for the D3 . LAst word from their Marketing Manager was to be released soon which was about 6 weeks ago.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #312676th Dec 2005 8:56 am
SMK

Australia 

Chris,

Nothing specific about the performance rims just comments about quality, albeit these were from dealers who did not sell them, so needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I was just looking for comments from people who have them as these are my first choice for a set of rims. I also agree about the 9" rims, I only mentioned it as it was an option offered to me as possible as it had been fitted to disco II's.

As an aside, ORE also have General Gripper AT2 tyres in 18". Don't know too much about them but theya are supposed to be a decent offroad tyre.

Steve

Post #312956th Dec 2005 11:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >