Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Other Site Sponsors

Trailair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
mzplcg

England 

I have a question if I may please.
Will this system fit the Full-Fat Range Rover? (L322) I ask mainly because of the mirror fitment and whether it is auto-dimming. I have TPMS on the car and I also have a reversing camera on the touch screen. However, the rear view camera cannot see the towing hitch (Only LR could design something that useless) and the onboard TPMS cannot be extended to the trailer. The TrailAir system seems to be a nice way around both those small challenges.
Thanks
Dom.

Post #83666219th Sep 2011 5:37 pm
trailair

United Kingdom 

Hi Dom
TrailAir was designed by people who tow so we understand fully your challenges. We have just launched RRS version for the same reason as the RRS camera has about 1.5m blind spot to the rear and therefore cannot see the tow ball !
With regard to your Range Rover could you confirm the model year for me please. The system mirror is auto dimming electrochromic so no loss there and if you wanted to use tpms for trailer only this would not compromise your base system. That said we have completed fitting instructions for Def, Free, Disco and RRS and not yet fully evaluated Range Rover - We can certainly look at this for you - in principal there would be no reason why the system wouldn't fit we just need to check the mirror fitting.
I will come back to you on this if I may but would appreciate if you could confirm your model year
Thank you for your enquiry
Regards
Alison

Post #83669119th Sep 2011 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mzplcg

England 

Hi Alison
Many thanks for the prompt response. My car is a 2007 (57 plate) TDV8 Vogue SE.
Out of interest, will Trailair be represented at the caravan show at the NEC next month?
Regards
Dom.

Post #83672119th Sep 2011 7:45 pm
trailair

United Kingdom 

Hi Dom
We do show at the NEC but usually join Land Rover on their stand at the February Boat and Caravan show.
Not planning to exhibit in October ( although if we get a late good deal we may be tempted and if so I will let you know).
If you wanted to see a demonstration of the system we do have some LR Dealers with system demonstrators fitted if you want to reply on PM with your details we can look to sort something out.
Regards
Alison

Post #83696320th Sep 2011 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Whistle
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #83699420th Sep 2011 11:07 am
disco_potter

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Is it likely that this system will be made available to customers in Australia?
 Discovery 3 SE 2009
Track Trailer Tvan Murranji 2012 Camper Trailer 

Post #84542110th Oct 2011 3:31 am
trailair

United Kingdom 

Yes - we are in the process of appointing a distributor for South Africa following which we will be looking at Australia. We have had a lot of interest from the Australian market and we would be very interested in having our product represented however as an aftermarket product we first need to ensure we have our system homologated and have appropriate channels to market - unfortunately this takes a little time and as a small UK business our first priority has and is to establish our home market and grow from there.
sorry for the long answer ... the short one is yes , we very much want to ... we will... but it will be later 2012 before this happens.

Post #84549310th Oct 2011 10:49 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
screen off option

one question,

the screen is always on?, i mean the rearview mirror is always with the trail air info? or is a user option with the central button?, if the screen could be turned off, the screen mirror rectangle functions as a mirror? (is reflective?), the auto diming at night is implemented? as before: in all the mirror surface? i dont see it in the youtube video.

i say this because this screen always on could be annoying and useless because of the rear view vision lost, could be used for other purposes? do it have an aux input? for the people that have surround or rear view camera in the vehicle, the trailair camera maybe its better at the back of the trailer itself.

Post #84549510th Oct 2011 10:55 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Hi Alison

I already have the LR TPMS fitted to the 07 discovery. However I can't extend that to the trailer and would be interested in this system. Is it possible to have both simultaneously? Or disable the factory fit system and replace it with the new one? Does the Rear View mirror still auto dip?

Thanks

Post #84550510th Oct 2011 11:16 am
trailair

United Kingdom 

Following ignition on the screen trailair logo will appear in rear view mirror and disappear after around 40 seconds. The mirror is then as any other auto dimming electrochromic , the system monitors in the background and will appear automotically if the pressures fall by 10% from the set level or trailer tyre temperature exceeds 65 deg. The problem tyre will be identified and an audible alarm sounds.

Every operation is by simple button press - if you are curious and wish to check tyre temperatures/pressures as you drive you can do so by the press of the button. One press gives vehicle pressures, scroll through screens by button press to trailer pressure and trailer temperature and then return to logo and again this will disappear. You also have the option to leave the screen option showing which will give you "live" information as you drive . This is useful if for example you have a pressure alert you can leave the screen on display which will show you the rate of loss pressure/increase in temperature - giving you the information to take appropriate action.

There isn't a second aux input on this system. Take your point regarding camera option at the rear of the trailer itself - we have a number of product development projects and this is one - will keep you informed

Thank you
alison

Post #84551210th Oct 2011 11:28 am
trailair

United Kingdom 

Hi Alex

No problem I will post answer on thread also as I think it is valid and pertinent question.
The factory option LR system doesn't cover trailers and cannot be extended.
It is possbile to run both simultaneously ie use trailair for the trailer pressures and temperatures and hitch guide and leave LR TPMS for vehicle. whislt both systems use the same frequency they do use different protocols which means they will not interfer with each other.
TrailAir TPMS is monitored via sensors in the wheels which transmit to the receiver then hardwired and displayed in rear view mirror.
The system rear view mirror is electrochromic auto dimming.

It is possible to replace the factory fit with TrailAir if you wish.

If you require any further information please don't hesitate to ask.
Regards
Alison

Post #84554310th Oct 2011 12:53 pm
mzplcg

England 
A quick review then

OK, so I went to see this in action today at Stratstone in Solihull and I thought I would post up my findings and thoughts. I do have the permission of TrailAir to do this but I am not on commission (sadly) etc so what you see below is my understanding and opinions, nothing more.

So the hitch camera, very neat and discreet. Looks OEM. Picture quality from it is very good. It is also mounted close to the towball making the picture very clear and accurate. This is going to be more important to RRS, FFRR and FL owners than D3/4 owners. You lot are spoiled with a vertical rear tailgate and a camera location which can see the towball. The rest of us don't have such luxuries.

The TPMS system is an intelligent one which can "learn" a couple of dozen trailers and remember them, 25 or so I think Philip said. Plenty of headroom anyway. It can be programmed to do the car and trailers of up to 3 axles. On the car it is possible to set different pressures on the front and rear axles (yes I know a D3 has no axles per se) and the trailer setting is the same for all axles. Extra sensors obviously need to be purchased but they are around the 24 quid mark so not heinously expensive.

It also has modes for "Off road", so sand, mud etc where it monitors at half pressures so you don't have to clear it out and re-learn every time you go off road. Kind of like terrain response, different settings at the touch of a button. Would be REALLY cool if it was linked to the TR but guessing that's not easy. Also worth remembering this will fit more than just Land Rovers.

The Schraeder valve sensors are similar to what I have on the FFRR for the on board TPMS except the ones which LR use on the line are made by Siemens. They can also be used together, at the same time, i.e. the onboard to do the car and TrailAir to do the trailer. Same frequency but different protocols so they don't interfere with each other.

The other nice thing is temperature monitoring. So at a glance if you have, say, a TA tintent on the back, and one axle is hotter than the other, well you know to check noseweight / towball height etc BEFORE you have a blow out. When loaded properly all axles should do equal work and the temperature monitoring gives visibility of this. This feature, IMHO, is the one which is going to prevent most incidents. Tyres don't go bang for no good reason and they almost always get hot before finally letting go.

Last is the mirror itself, a OEM quality replacement unit with auto-dim (Electrochromic). Damn this thing's nice. No cheapo plastic in this, it's as good (if not better) than the OEM one in my FFRR Vogue. But, this is only the start, the video screen embedded within displays crystal clear images when in use and a high quality auto-dimming mirror when not in use. even with the screen providing a display you can still look through this to use the mirror, it's absolutely excellent and makes the whole system look highly professional. One thing which is not fully understood yet, and I have asked. TrailAir are asking Land Rover about this and will post back. If you also have electrochromic outside mirrors, I think these follow the interior mirror in terms of dipping, i.e. they are controlled by it. If this is the case then I don't know where this leaves you. It is probably not going to be an issue for most D3's and if they are available on D4's then they are probably an option anyway. They are only standard on Vogue SE and Supercharged FFRR's, optional on the lower spec Vogue and NA on the lowly HSE, oh and they cost an absolute fortune as I found out to my cost when I broke one. £160 quid each !! That's just the glass!

My other thought on the drive home was about the D4 High Beam Assist thingy of which I know very little. But if the sensor is on the back of the mirror that might also be an issue. That said, HBA is the answer to a question that nobody ever asked. I could live without it.

So, for 99% of people this mirror will be better than OEM. Possibly 100% depending on the 2 scenarios I laid out above.

Fitting times are quoted as 1.5 Hrs for FL2, 1.1 for Disco, 1.3 for RRS and the FFRR isn't evaluated yet. Not a lot of labour though for any of them.

Now, would I pay 5 or 6 hundred quid for it? Well,that's a stack of cash to anyone for sure. But, consider that it will make your life easier, safer and seriously reduce the risk of low speed damage when hitching up. How much is a rear bumper on any of our beloved Landies? A King's ransom and a bit usually, more if you have to get it painted. So you only really need to avoid one bumper damaging incident and it's paid for itself. The main bit for me is the peace of mind regarding blow outs though. Anyone who's had a trailer or caravan tyre let go at 60 will know what I'm on about. Mine was a low loader with a Defender 110 on it and I almost soiled myself. Yep, I'd pay that for it in a flash.

So, in summary, well thought out, well designed. well executed and very high levels of build quality. My FFRR is an awesome towing vehicle, among the best for sure. The D4 is better still; in my opinion the D4 is the finest tow car in the world for up to 3500kg stuff. So a D4 with Towassist is another step up, and a D4 with Towassist AND TrailAir is about as good as it can ever get TBH. The best just got better. Oh, and I placed an order with my dealer for when the FFRR install details are released. That's how impressed I am.

Mind you, as SWMBO pointed out, I am a gadget nut and I was going to be impressed anyway. What astounded me though was the ultra high quality of the thing. No nasty cheapo looking bits in it at all. Very well done TrailAir.

Thanks to Alison for organising this and also to Philip for driving down to demonstrate the system. Much appreciated.

Dom.

Post #84630011th Oct 2011 6:24 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Thanks for the review - very helpful.

Thumbs Up

Post #84638911th Oct 2011 8:30 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

LR instructions for fitting Trailair are now available on TOPIx for self fit as an accessory! See

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/co...;id=166363

Only 54 steps including using a tube of glue....... Shocked Bizzarely it shows the camera being mounted into the Tailgate handle rather than just above the towbar as in the demo video. This will mean an off-centre image rather than the in-line one shown in the demo so that the benefit of the easy alignment is to some extent lost.

If nothing else it shows how to dismantle most of the interior....

Post #84897119th Oct 2011 1:20 am
trailair

United Kingdom 

In our "official " current version installation instructions there is no glue !! The camera grommet has been specifically designed and tooled for this specific camera .
The camera for Discovery cannot be located in the bumper as there is no space - this is the reason it took us a long time from launching Defender and Freelander to introducing Discovery - The current location in the tailgate is the only possible location and is the same as the current D4 camera position. The position of the camera is such that it gives the best possible view with this vehicle. The rear view camera gives view of the tow ball with an optional guide line. This guide line is offset by 250mm to left of hitch point due to location of camera. This is stated in the product information for Discovery.
For your information I have attached video images of the view - apologies if these seem amateur as they were taken by ourselves to evaluate the camera view . During our testing of the camera location we certainly felt the quality of the view was at least as good as the factory option camera and alignment to tow ball relatively easy. We felt that the combination of this with the TPMS was of definate benefit to towing Discovery's.

The installation instructions for all TrailAir systems have been completed by independent experts who undertake all Land Rover Accessory fitting instructions.

http://www.atpconsultants.co.uk/trailair/D...t_demo.wmv
http://www.atpconsultants.co.uk/trailair/D...h_line.wmv

Hope this helps

Regards

Alison

Post #84910519th Oct 2011 11:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >