DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Trailer Detection on D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco4man

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Trailer Detection on D4

Hi All. has anyone found this problem -
My new campertrailer is fitted with LED brake and Indicators lights which present no appreciable load to the Can bus network of the D4- as it doesnt sense that there is a trailer connected so there is no trailer symbol illuminating on the dash and hence no trailer control protection is activated.
If I plug in a trailer fitted with incandesent lights, no problem, the load is there and everything is good.

So I am wondering if there is a pin out of the 7 pin trailer plugs with a minimum load in ohms that any has found to correct the situation - the campertrailer is heavy and it would be great to have car assistance should things go pear shaped with a blow out or the like.

Thanking all in Anticipation

Post #70305313th Oct 2010 1:41 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

You need an LED shunt to present a load for the Tug. You can either fit one to the trailer or one to the car if you are going to tow different trailers.

As far as I know the Trailer Stability still works even if the trailer isn't detected.
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #70328913th Oct 2010 11:49 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

My 21W incandescent globes don't cause the trailer indicator to flash but the reversing sensors get disabled - having a bet each way! I have noticed though that the reversing sensors stay disabled when the trailer is unplugged until the ignition is cycled - that has caused a few close encounters. Then today the reversing sensors were disabled without the trailer connected at startup which caused me to reverse into the trailer coupling. LR software has plenty of bugs - very sloppy programming! I think its time to fit a reversing camera.

Edit: The parking sensor software is smarter than I gave it credit for. The sensors worked again after the dirt was cleaned from them!

Post #70331814th Oct 2010 7:33 am
disco4man

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I found that there is a plug that goes in line with our Australian 7 pin plugs but it is $300 or more dollars which is very steep for some resistors but I guess cheaper that putting dents in the back of your disco.
As GraemeS points out the reversing sensors dont know you have a trailer connected when you have LED trailers lights and the reversing sensors sound with an immenent warning which is very offputing whilst trying to reverse.

Post #70501418th Oct 2010 1:53 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

GraemeS wrote:
My 21W incandescent globes don't cause the trailer indicator to flash

Hmm - mine do. I ended up only fitting one (on the LHS indicator circuit) and everything works fine. Good fix for $4.50 I thought!

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #70530119th Oct 2010 1:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jeffa

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have a jet ski with LED light and the same problem occurs - the trailer is not recognised.

Gordon - you appear to have foud a low cost solution. Could you explain how you fixed this ?

Thanks

Post #70530219th Oct 2010 3:00 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

I originally wired a single 21W incandescent trailer globe between the LHS indicator and earth wires on my caravan (hacked into the caravan wiring loom). I've since wired it into the plug adaptor I use, so that it'll work with any LED trailer/van I attach.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #70573220th Oct 2010 1:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jeffa

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

disco4x4au wrote:
I originally wired a single 21W incandescent trailer globe between the LHS indicator and earth wires on my caravan (hacked into the caravan wiring loom). I've since wired it into the plug adaptor I use, so that it'll work with any LED trailer/van I attach.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I am not at all technically minded - could I trouble you for photo to show what you have done ?

Jeff

Post #70574020th Oct 2010 6:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >