DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

transmission fault restricted gears only
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
transmission fault restricted gears only

HI

Help please as any body any ideas if I have a problem here and if so how to fix it?

I have a 2005 Disco 3 Auto 65,000 miles on the clock, driving on the motorway at about 90 mph (please don’t tell me off we have a 130 kph limit here!) on Sat evening the car started to vibrate and make a noise from the back (it felt like the back wheels) the noise was just like a flat tyre, I pulled over on the hard shoulder (a bit of an experience in Spain as the motorway hard shoulder is narrower than the car!) all the tyres were fine but there was a very strong smell (the same smell as when the brakes are very hot or binding), I checked the discs/wheels all were cool to the touch so I don’t think they were binding.

I double locked the car to reset the computer (does this work for Discos? my other car is a BMW and if there any engine management system problems are usual solved by doing this as I think it reboots the on board computer).

I set of again at a much reduced speed, the problem seemed to have cleared for a couple of miles then started again, the same thing happened a couple of times more at speeds over 50 MPH.

There were no dashboard warnings.

The final time I pulled into a service station and decided to go through all the terrain response programmes, put it to low range, raise and lower the suspension a couple of times turn it off lock it and restart then it resetting everything back to normal. This seemed to clear the problem as I went rest of my 80 miles home with no problem at motorway speeds.

I used the car again the next day no problem, however on this morning when I parked it on a slope the dash came up with a fault saying “transmission fault restricted gears only” at is seemed stuck in low gear. I restarted the car ad it cleared again.

Has anybody any ideas on what this could be? Could I have damaged car when the fault first happened?

As my nearest main dealer is in Gibraltar I really want to avoid this as they keep limited parts so ‘no-service’ parts can take a while to get here!

Thanks

Post #89062130th Jan 2012 2:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mmmm.... usually that fault (the vibration etc & burning smell) is to do with the EPB shoes binding or delaminating or other crud in the disk.

You can have a look yourself using the link in my sig below. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #89063430th Jan 2012 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fishinmad

Thanks !!!

Yes that could well be the problem come to think about it.

Ever since I had a very large bill for failure of the EPB a couple of years ago, I rarely if every use it, as I just leave the vehicle in Park.

However earlier that day I did use the EPB as I left the vehicle parked on a mountain side on very steep slope while I went off fishing for the day, is there any way to clean it without disassembling it?

Post #89064630th Jan 2012 3:29 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bodsy knows everything there is to know about this...

I had the same problem and i had to strip the brakes down.. I don't think there is anyway around it
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #89065330th Jan 2012 3:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

only way to clear the EPB shoes out is to remove the disks.

Perosnally (and there are always two views to this) I am of the view that if you ensure that they are copper greased up and adjusted correctly, then the EPB should cause you no problems.
If you hardly use it, but then when you DO want to rely on it, it is likely to fail..... my top tip is to use it regularly Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #89065630th Jan 2012 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As bodsy states... Use it regulary... Personnaly i would adjust regular, about 5k miles, but that was only after i experienced the judder and wanted to prevent it hapening again
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #89069230th Jan 2012 5:02 pm
fishinmad

I guess i had better take them apart and have a look, as trying to stop 2.7 tons doing 50 - 90 mph with the hand brake on may well have delaminated them!!

I did notice a rather drantic decrease in fuel consumtion while all this was happening.

I will try and get in the habit of using it and over come my fear that the EPB will stay on (as it it did when it broke! last time).

Thanks for you help.

Post #89070630th Jan 2012 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >