Page 2 of 3 <123>
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I'm at 122k so 8k to go. That is about 3 months or less. Big Cry

Best take another look at the warranty post then. Rolling with laughter
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #18436333rd Aug 2017 11:13 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Interestingly, their view of the "flushes" was that they were a complete waste of time and money.

They estimate my "new" box will last about 50-70k. That should see my ownership of the car through to the end.
[i]

If somebody came out with the above statement to me, i would walk away from them.
As most on this forum know, oil changes are critical as has been proven with LR first claiming 'filled for life' and subsequently changing that view.
As for the recon box only being good for 50-70k Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Only my personal view having had various auto transmissions last 200 to 300k+ with regular oil and filter changes.

Post #18436363rd Aug 2017 11:16 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:

If somebody came out with the above statement to me, i would walk away from them.
As most on this forum know, oil changes are critical as has been proven with LR first claiming 'filled for life' and subsequently changing that view.
As for the recon box only being good for 50-70k Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Only my personal view having had various auto transmissions last 200 to 300k+ with regular oil and filter changes.

I said gearbox flush, not gear box oil change. I have my gear box oil changed at the same time as a service - like all sane land rover owners.

Perhaps we are confusing terms. I am on about the £500 jobbies where they flush them through..

EDIT to add:

I too have had auto gear boxes lasting 200,000 - he was on about THIS gear box type. He's an expert, not me. I am only repeating what he said.

BTW, the company was recommended on THIS forum - as well as other places.

Example:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic151281.html?highlight=rainham
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #18436383rd Aug 2017 11:19 am
professorpool

I now recall the conversation correctly...

Ross said words to the effect:

"If you spend £500 flushing your gear box every year for ten years then you have spent £5,000 and 'might have extended the life of your gear box a bit'. Far better to save your £5,000 and put it towards your gear box when the time comes.

"These ZF gear boxes are good for about 120,000 miles if used hard
(and he was referring to the trail scratches on my car, the set up and the mud underneath). If you've got more than that you've lived on borrowed time"

That made a lot of sense to me.

When questioned on the expected life of the gear box I considered a reply of 50,000-70,000 frankly to be an honest and frank reply.

And at £895 for the box, plus £350 labour plus the TC of course. If I was to keep the car on the road indefinitely and theoretically forever then £2232 every 50-70k miles is about the same as an annual "flush" for £500.

But these are HIS words and not mine. I am not an expert at all, but based on research and advice and recommendations (including that found in searches on THIS forum) I was led to this company remember.

What else can you do apart from all the above research if you are not a subject matter expert?

It may also be the case that I have not quoted him entirely accurately. I guess with all things technical you should seek the advice of a professional or expert in whom you trust.

I am, again, referring the flushing and not the simple oil change..
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #18436743rd Aug 2017 12:28 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had 230,000 miles our of my tc andgearbox . Regular oil changes are key. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #18437413rd Aug 2017 3:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark-w

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Unfortunately mine had 90,000 on the clock when I got it, one of the first jobs was a flush by Geoff, as it had a full landrover dealer history on it and land rover said it was sealed for life oil at the time I would imagine that was the first change, so maybe to late and the damage or wear was already done, I will be having regular changes on the new box though.
 D4 graphite, Loire Blue, ebony leather.

D3 S Bonnatti Grey, Cloth interior -Gone

Defender 300tdi, 1994, Blue.
Mods:
Pretty much everything. Now also gone, to the USA I believe:

Merc SLK280 silver - sunny weekend toy 

Post #18437603rd Aug 2017 4:39 pm
geoff.

England 

professorpool wrote:

[i]"If you spend £500 flushing your gear box every year for ten years then you have spent £5,000

tried to keep out of this but your statement is totally wrong you wouldn't flush every year you would do it every 40 to 50k and nowhere near your £500 cost.

I've got transmissions running round with over 200k on them that I've flushed through 3 or 4 times now and there still running good Thumbs Up

Post #18437713rd Aug 2017 5:28 pm
professorpool

I refer you to my statement regarding it was not MY opinion...

I wouldn't know a gearbox from a flux capacitor - which is why I come to a forum like this for information. I guess I should never have done that and all those people that recommended this firm, including those on this forum, were liars, steers and queers then.

If someone could point me to a list of the people we should listen to and in what situations I would be very grateful..

£500 was the quote I received. Not by this firm obviously as they don't do them. If you could perhaps give me your price (or the price of one of those that do perform this flush - be ace! Thumbs Up

Don't see anyone needs to be shy with the pricing... Just spit it out!
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #18437723rd Aug 2017 5:39 pm
professorpool

geoff. wrote:

I've got transmissions running round with over 200k on them that I've flushed through 3 or 4 times now and there still running good Thumbs Up

Where abouts in West Kent and how much is it sir?
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #18437753rd Aug 2017 5:41 pm
professorpool

Bodsy wrote:
I had 230,000 miles our of my tc andgearbox . Regular oil changes are key. Thumbs Up

I've owned mine 12 months, changed it at the last service, did same for previous D3 too. Can't speak for the previous owner off the top of my head without digging out the paperwork but he was generally meticulous but I do not recall any reference to flushes. Just gear box oil changes.

Got 178,000 out if it. I am taking that as a win. Especially as the rebuild was only £895 with a predicted life expectancy (it is a refurb not a new engine) is another 50-70k. It'll see me out of this car.

It's life buying and owning cars with six figure mileage.

Some people are saying gear box oil change, others are referring to flushes. Are we all referring to different services and applying the same name to two different services?

When I talk about flushing, I'm talking about connecting some sort of mega machine to your gear box and running vodka through it or something for a couple of hours..
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #18437833rd Aug 2017 5:57 pm
D&G

Prof,
I think there are two parts to the service of gearboxes refered to here, a complete flush every 40-50k and an oil change at every service. Both to be done.

The suprise comment is that the refurbishment of the gear box is only likely to last a third of the time that you got from your current. That might have been a throw away comment, though.

Nobody is being critical of you. Especially Geoff, I was on the phone from France with him yesterday and he gave me great advice about my TC and a re map. He stopped me giving him beer tokens. Thumbs Up

People are just trying to help. At the end of the day you make your choice and pay your money. Thumbs Up

2006 Disco 3

Post #18437903rd Aug 2017 6:22 pm
professorpool

Quote:
Prof,
I think there are two parts to the service of gearboxes refered to here, a complete flush every 40-50k and an oil change at every service. Both to be done.

Yes, I get that. It's the second part that I was on about too. No doubt something got lost in translation and no doubt my fault.

I live in Surrey where unfortunately the air you breath is twice the price of the air in Yorkshire. I see a flush in Yorkshire is £260. It's a monkey around here.

I have read up on the flush and was considering that with my indy who admits himself not to be an expert on gearboxes so I came to THIS SITE and identified someone fairly local to me recommended here and took it to them.0

So he took it for a run, gave me a diagnostic print out and he suspected TC and went through the options. The reality is that the TC is caboom and the cost of that is what it is. The advice of the gearbox geezer is as per and basically, while I am doing the TC and the car is in bits I might as well add £895 to ovehaul the gear box because it is a ZF and he went through it all pretty much as I said. Weighing up the pros and cons, not least the service history and also the predicted time the car will be in my ownership, I took the decision that, because it was all open anyway and on his view of the state of the box, might as well bang it in. It may well be that I could have got more out of it. Maybe not.

We then went on to discuss flushes and his reaction was pretty much how I said it. It might well be that I misunderstood the interval of them but lets do the math on £500 every 40,000 miles. If I replaced the gearbox every 120k on average that is still cheaper than carrying out the flush. Even with the labour (£350).

Quote:

The suprise comment is that the refurbishment of the gear box is only likely to last a third of the time that you got from your current. That might have been a throw away comment, though.

Me too, but on reflection and after a chat about it, I considered that to be fair and honest advice all things considered.

Quote:

Nobody is being critical of you. Especially Geoff, I was on the phone from France with him yesterday and he gave me great advice about my TC and a re map. He stopped me giving him beer tokens. Thumbs Up

People are just trying to help. At the end of the day you make your choice and pay your money. Thumbs Up

You are right. It is interesting that the O/P and I both had near enough the same thing said. Perhaps people that change boxes prefer to advise changing boxes and people that do flushes prefer to advise that?

I repeat. I am clueless. If I was a mechanical expert, I wouldn't need to ask!

I'm a developer on the Tripos system - that is the system I therefore advise to my clients (cough)
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #18437973rd Aug 2017 6:39 pm
D&G

You live in Surrey and have a LR, you must be loaded. Rolling with laughter

It is all a bit of a mine field, I am just having the TC done but it is warranty work. As soon as I brought mine up it went to Broadfields to have the box flush. But at 120k it was probably too late by then, that and some other bits cost 300 plus VAT.

I am keeping my box as is and hoping that I'll get the same milage as you.

I have spent a lot of time on here looking at posts and the information freely given. Sometimes, I feel that the help given is undervalued by the recipient. I have no technical knowledge to add to the forum, so am a taker and not a giver and feel that the least I can do is stick up for those that are trying to help. Bow down

No offence meant or taken though Thumbs Up

2006 Disco 3

Post #18438083rd Aug 2017 7:03 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

This thread is getting a bit confusing but I felt it right to add that a gearbox flush can/does also rectify irritating performance issues in the 'here and now' such as hesitant and jerky gear changes, which I would be happy to pay for (and in fact, I did) regardless of whether it prolonged the life overall or not, just to improve 'driveability' and experience.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #18438143rd Aug 2017 7:25 pm
professorpool

D&G wrote:

I have spent a lot of time on here looking at posts and the information freely given. Sometimes, I feel that the help given is undervalued by the recipient. I have no technical knowledge to add to the forum, so am a taker and not a giver and feel that the least I can do is stick up for those that are trying to help. Bow down

No offence meant or taken though Thumbs Up

I hear you brother. I too am an ignorant which is one of the primary reasons for being a member in the first place.

I too did my research but sometimes it is very very confusing and sometimes conflicting and I would add that, sometimes, can be patronising.

How many times do you see posts like

"My car has started rumbling and..."

And you get half a dozen people diving in saying

"Search the forums!"

And you get another dozen recommending this that and every solution short of telepathy.

I haven't been offended at all. Just wanted to be clear that a, I was quoting someone else and b I might not have quoted accurately.

One last thing related to the 50-70k life expectancy...

You forget my vehicle spends half its time off road and hard trail use. Note there is not a shiny panel on it. The underside is caked in crud from the other week.

Take the 50k with that in mind...
FL1 - gone to Romania

Last edited by professorpool on 4th Aug 2017 11:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18438253rd Aug 2017 7:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >