Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rodibest

Israel 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Transmission Oil

How frequently need to change transmission oil ?
What type of oil? only from Land Rover dealer?
What is the amount of oil need? is it all the quantity need to replace or only part of it?

Thanks guys,
Rodi.

Post #89036329th Jan 2012 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Hi;

Based on the questions, you may anticipate doing this yourself. I am not sure how easy of a job it is for a DIY. In any event, I believe the refill capacity is fluid... On the v8 4.4 Petrol;
Add 3.5 to 4 litres of the correct transmission fluid, or until a small thread of fluid runs from the filler/level hole.
Check and top-up the transmission fluid level. Transmission Fluid Level Check (44.24.06)

CAUTION: The gearbox fluid level must only be checked when the temperature of the fluid is between 30
degrees and 50 degrees. The fluid level obtained will be incorrect if the reading is outside this temperature
range.
􀁺 The vehicle must be on a horizontal ramp.
􀁺 The parking brake must be applied.
􀁺 The wheels must be chocked.

Connect T4 to the on-board diagnostic connector to monitor the transmission fluid temperature.

The instructions go on, into the check/top up process.

You need to use ZF Lifeguard 6, or the LR supplied fluid. LR claims the transmission is sealed for "life" while, ZF claims the fluid is good for 100k miles. If you tow, or overheat your transmission, the fluid can be damaged and should be changed.

If is frequently reported "judder" and other issues related to shifting. Often folks choose to replace the pan with ZF replacement metal pan, which allows for draining, and filter changes without replacing the plastic pan. The Plastic pan has an integrated pan and filter, therefore if you plan to change your fluid more than once, the payback is there. The ZF pan can be obtained through a genuine ZF dealer / shop.

I changed my pan, filter, and fluid at 95k. A noticeable improvement in shifting, and no occasional judder pulling away from a stop. The judder is due to the design and eventual failure in some cases of the torque converter. Changing the torque converter is no small job, as it requires removing the body from the frame, among other things.

In the case of the transmission, I see no reason to hesitate at anywhere between 70k and 95k to change the pan, filter and fluid.

You might also consider changing the fluid in the transfer case, at say 75k and the differential fluids every 20k, and monitor for water in it, and increase or decrease your intervals accordingly.

Post #8919322nd Feb 2012 4:32 am
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Agree with you tit. I've had the steel pan and seperate filter fitted by ZF ( same as BMW X5 ). With this it is far easier for DIY oil changes. I have ZF L6 oil in and will use that in future - cheaper than LR dealer prices and seems 100%. If I were towing a lot or doing a lot of high speed cruising, I would change trans oil every 50 000 Klm. Don't forget that to "change" the oil you need to put +- 4.5 litres in probably three times with say, 100 Klm between fills. This would get you to a decent mix amount of 'new' oil in the box/torque converter.
Regards,
Bob
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #8920162nd Feb 2012 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Agree with you tit

Don't think tlt will be too happy being called a tit. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #8920362nd Feb 2012 11:58 am
rodibest

Thank you guys!
I placed an order for oils and next week I will do it.

I will let you know if the judder is over.

Post #8920722nd Feb 2012 2:23 pm
tlt

No worries... no offense taken

Post #8921812nd Feb 2012 6:52 pm
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi my 2c worth , what I have discovered is that Shell 1375.4 is ZF LIFEGUARD 6.Shell formulate this oil for ZF, L/rover, Jaguar and some other manufacturers as an OEM part.

No where can I find that it,s got ANTI SHUDDER properties.Is this the reason we have shudder problems?

Is this oil really so good ?

or is it just a sales plot from L/Rover , Jaguar, Shell ect. so that they can sell this elusive oil at a very high price?

This oil spec is not as you think superior to other ATF's on the market, just compare Fuchs TITAN 4400 (same as ZF6+ AND ZF8) OR 4134 (same as ZF6)with this oil. The specs are better, much much cheaper and other makes use this in ZF 6HP26 gearboxes. this oil is ultra high performance spec for high torque boxes and have ANTI SHUDDER properties with high friction levels.
And all this oils are ZF TE-ML 11 compliant , which is the spec of our gearboxes in our D3's and D4's

I am convinced this is a plot by Shell to have this oil elusive so that we have to go to the agents and agents gets a kickback or something.

Sorry oil is oil, if they meet the same specs and some are higher I will go for that one.

Post #8923223rd Feb 2012 7:17 am
tlt

"No where can I find that it,s got ANTI SHUDDER properties.Is this the reason we have shudder problems?"

There is no money in Shell destroying your transmission, better to keep selling you oil. The shudder is the torque converter design. I won't claim to be scientific about it, but in years past torque converters were "solid state" meaning, just fins fluid passed through.

The ZF torque converter is has "spring loaded" mechanisms designed to make the operation smoother under higher torque, etc. This is where the shudder comes from. My theory is that they likely gum up or become stressed, do not get proper fluid flow due to old fluid, weeks springs or dirty filter. At about 1:15 of this video, it's demonstrated. If bbyer comes along, he had a much better video link.

If you watch the video through, you'll note the animated spring action, there is your judder source in my opinion.

As you will see in this second video, more technology more complicated, and more prone to failure, check out the newer springs. The 2nd one is closer to the design of the D3/4 Autobox.

Post #8927344th Feb 2012 5:25 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Shell M1375.4= ZF Lifeguard 6= Motorcraft (Ford) Mercon SP.

Lincoln Navigator (Ford owned) uses the ZF 6HP26 and is filled and serviced with Mercon SP.

Rowe is a german oil manufacturer and makes our oil. And if i remember well, Ravenol too.

Im trying to source Mercon SP, is far cheaper than shell liquid gold...

Post #8928404th Feb 2012 1:41 pm
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

let us know Cuco
we've found the zf lg6 here in ita at 19eu per liter but i look forward to have a better price for 20 or 30 litres
last time i use the lt71141 but now i want to try his "original" fluid whatever we want to call it

F.

Post #8928484th Feb 2012 2:03 pm
rodibest

Thank you guys,
I have change the transmission oil, and the shuddering ended!
I used just normal ATF oil.

I am going to do it again within day or two in order to really replace most of the oil.

Post #89815816th Feb 2012 10:17 pm
Dannetech

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Atf fully synthetic 75w 90 from smith and allan on ebay!

Hi, I replaced mine with fully synthetic transmission fluid 75w 90 from smith and allan on ebay recently for £28 for 5litres! You are struggling to get fully synthetic even at your local after market parts dealers! These guys do it and it worked a treat with nice smooth gear changes better than i had before. The guy i dealt with was joe boddy on 01325 462228 or email joeboddy@smithandallan.com. Ebay item number eBay Item No. 250606606374.

Hope this helps! Rolling Eyes

Post #89819216th Feb 2012 11:15 pm
filo

did you put the fully synthetic 75 W90 gear oil into the autobox? Shocked

F.

Post #89823817th Feb 2012 8:06 am
Dannetech

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3

[quote="filo"]did you put the fully synthetic 75 W90 gear oil into the autobox? Shocked

No mine is a manual box! Sorry i forgot to mention this.

Post #89828417th Feb 2012 10:14 am
filo

rodibest wrote:
Thank you guys,
I have change the transmission oil, and the shuddering ended!
I used just normal ATF oil.

I am going to do it again within day or two in order to really replace most of the oil.

which "normal ATF oil" did you use?
can we have some more info?

thank you
F.

Post #89837217th Feb 2012 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >